Humble Frozen Synapse Bundle Breaks a Million

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Humble Frozen Synapse Bundle Breaks a Million

The Humble Frozen Synapse Bundle has wrapped up with more than $1.1 million in sales.

Like all the previous Humble Bundles, the Humble Frozen Synapse Bundle was a hell of a deal. Frozen Synapse, the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle (Trine, Shadowgrounds, Shadowgrounds Survivor, Splot and Jack Claw), SpaceChem and Trauma, all for less than you'd pay for a half-assed workday lunch. That's $4.81, by the way, which turned out to be the average price paid for the bundle and the cutoff cost for all the extras.

A few other statistics of note: 231, 799 copies of the HFSB were purchased, roughly two-thirds of them by Windows gamers and the remainder split fairly evenly between the Mac and Linux crowds. Linux gamers paid the highest average price at $9.61, followed by Mac owners, who ponied up an average of $6.95, and finally the Windows cheapskates, who as usual brought up the rear with a sub-average $4.13.

It all adds up to a grand total of $1,115,350.13, not a bad haul by any stretch but still the second-lowest-seller [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humble_Indie_Bundle#List_of_games_offered] of all the Humble Bundles, beating only the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle, which didn't quite make the $1 million mark. Not that that's terribly surprising; it was a fantastic deal for Frozen Synapse, which normally goes for 25 bucks on its own, but if you weren't interested in that and you'd already shelled out for the Frozenbyte bundle, there wasn't a whole lot else to bring your boys the yard.

Congratulations to all involved for making the fourth Humble Bundle another big success. If you'd like to be kept up to date about future Humble Bundle happenings, you can add your name to the list at humblebundle.com [http://www.humblebundle.com/].

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Not that that's terribly surprising; it was a fantastic deal for Frozen Synapse, which normally goes for 25 bucks on its own, but if you weren't interested in that and you'd already shelled out for the Frozenbyte bundle, there wasn't a whole lot else to bring your boys the yard.
Of course there was, SpaceChem, Trine and Trauma are interesting games, one of the copies i bought was to show Trine to a friend. Though admittedly this bundle was a nerdy as indie games go for the most part.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
the Windows cheapskates, who as usual brought up the rear with a sub-average $4.13.
Hey! I resent that! D:< I paid my fair share of $8.88!

Also, SpaceChem was AMAZING. It got really complicated towards the end, but I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed both Portals, which is saying a lot, since Portal has a much larger action component.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
I do wish I could find out just how much of my money is actually useful too them, and how much gets eaten by the bandwidth cost of my download and transaction and such.

I suppose it sort of defies the point, finding out, but still..

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
a friend got it for me, but he sent me the link while i was in a different computer and now i don't even know how to recalim those games, but oh wel...

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I know the existence of this bundle due to the wrench it put into the TF2 trading market. It is nice to know that it did well, but I do wonder how many people got it cheap just to make a quick buck in TF2.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Tanakh said:
Of course there was, SpaceChem, Trine and Trauma are interesting games, one of the copies i bought was to show Trine to a friend. Though admittedly this bundle was a nerdy as indie games go for the most part.
SpaceChem looks cool and Trauma is intriguing but... well, about as far off the mainstream path as you can get and I've heard that it's actual implementation as a game isn't great. Trine is brilliant, absolutely, but it was also part of the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle. It's hard to be too critical of any "pay what you want" deal but compared to Humble Bundles, this one didn't really bring much to the party.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
SpaceChem looks cool and Trauma is intriguing but... well, about as far off the mainstream path as you can get and I've heard that it's actual implementation as a game isn't great.
TBH i think Trauma is a shitty game, but a very interesting "experience". Much better suited to be as a piece in an art gallery than a videogame, sadly most of the installations in those places suck hard.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
SpaceChem looks cool and Trauma is intriguing but... well, about as far off the mainstream path as you can get and I've heard that it's actual implementation as a game isn't great. Trine is brilliant, absolutely, but it was also part of the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle. It's hard to be too critical of any "pay what you want" deal but compared to Humble Bundles, this one didn't really bring much to the party.
Sadly true. That said I dropped thirty bucks just because Trine was in there. (And you know, charity.)

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Next time I really hope they offer something new for the pay-above-average bonus. It's a good way to encourage spending more than a dollar, but it doesn't work when many people may already have your bonus. Especially considering there was initially one game. Frozen Synapse alone is worth at least $5, the addition of Space Chem just made the deal sweeter, but still, hopefully next time the bonus is something new.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
Tanakh said:
This just goes to show that a lot of the people are only there for the games. It's a shame. Heck, I already had the Frozenbyte bundle (I've bought all of them, and I still have to say the first was the best and feel bad for that being the one I paid the least for, but whatever), and I had played Frozen Synapse at a Friends and really didn't like it, and still bought this bundle for $25. To me it's not about the games (although they are a very nice bonus), it's about the charity and the money to the developers that they probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I wouldn't have ever bought Frozen Synapse on it's own, but this way the devs are seeing some of my money, most goes to charity, and then some to the guys who keep making these amazing chances to donate to a good cause worth it.