Link Meets Real Time Strategy In Hyrule: Total War

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Link Meets Real Time Strategy In Hyrule: Total War

A Total War conversion set in the world of Nintendo's Legend of Zelda series; I didn't know I wanted it until I saw it.

I could explain this whole thing, but the mod's creators did such a comprehensive job on the Total War Center forums, that I'm just going to turn it over to them:

Hyrule: Total War is a conversion for Medieval 2: Total War. A vast majority of the iconic races from the Zelda universe have been represented as armies that the player can assemble, command, and ultimately use to destroy their enemies. The Hero of Time has chosen to return to the past, a choice that ultimately has ruined the charts of history and sent Hyrule into chaos. Major wars that were already decided have unmade themselves, allowing fallen armies a second chance at these critical events in Hyrule's history. This is where you, the player, comes in. You shall choose how to rewrite the history of Hyrule. Do you stick with the proper path and smite the evil in the land in the name of the Goddesses? Or perhaps you feel that the Hylians have overstayed their welcome as masters of the land and would rather the Gerudo forces of Ganondorf lead Hyrule into a new age leadership? Maybe you feel it's time that the Gorons march from their mountain kingdoms and rebuild their long lost empire, smashing anyone who opposes their will? On the other hand, you might fall in favor of fighting for the Zora Dominion and cleansing the land of imperfect creatures and establishing a new order of purity. Perhaps the forces of nature have won you over, and you would see to it that the Kokiri and beings of the forest rise to power? Or maybe you would act against nature, and infest and consume all life as the infestation of Gohma... There are many races to choose from, and many possible outcomes to your actions. Hyrule's fate is now in your hands. Will you lead it to a golden age of peace, or dominate it in your name?

Tl;dr? Just watch the video then. At 2:10 you can see Princess Zelda leading a group of Hyrulian soldiers into battle. Yes, there's a lot of cognitive disconnect with that imagery, but it's also really, really cool to see.

The best part of this news is that there is a demo of Hyrule: Total War available for download right this very minute. The forum post that produced the above wall o' text includes full instructions on installing and playing the mod [http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=421448], along with details on all its features. Granted, it's not the full mod, but you can still play as 15 of the 20 planned factions.

If you're interested, I'd recommend nabbing this thing quickly. While its creators aren't looking to make money off of Nintendo's intellectual property, the gaming giant is still notoriously protective of its copyrights, and is prone to firing off cease and desist requests at a moment's notice.

Articles publicizing its existence probably aren't helping things, huh?

Source: G4 [http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/717340/hyrule-total-war-a-fan-made-zelda-game-shut-up-and-take-my-money/]

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
I must have been away from Zelda for too long because I only recognised around half of the races there, but still it's......beautiful.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I hate to bring back an old meme, but "I came".

Off to download this now.........and rummage through mountains of shit in hope of finding Medieval 2

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
This, is why PC gaming is awesome. Here's hoping Nintendo doesn't shut it down.

As a side note, it's nice to see Midna again, even if it's in a fan game.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Geez so this what happen if Link doesn't come by and save the world. This is an amazing mod.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Looks cool, I want to try it even though I've never played a Zelda game.

On a side note, it would be unreasonable for Nintendo to shut it down since I really, really doubt that they're going to develop an RTS based on the world of Zelda anytime soon, so it doesn't threaten them in the least and the makers are not making money of this. But then again, common sense has never stopped companies from shutting down projects like this...

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
War thinking about getting a total war or civ game, may push me to this. Don't have it yet but already downloaded in case of the C&D

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
From the description it sounds like shit, but that video makes me want to play with it so bad... Now where the hell are my Medieval 2: Total War install discs? I found the box they came in...

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
UndyingNephalim is credit to team.

Just the knowledge that this exists was enough to put me into an hour long coma of ecstasy. I'm gonna go download that demo now.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Stuff like this makes me wish I was good at RTS's. This looks so cool, but I doubt I'd ever get past the introductory stages.

Sigh...
Total War on lowest difficult is really easy. Easy to pick up too. Worth a shot, it's a fantastic series and Med. II is the best Vanilla and Mod wise.

Then get Third Age Total War and play reforge Arnor on V.Hard V.Hard.

Stupid fucking trolls.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Must point out a small error: You wrote Hyrulian soldiers, when the correct word is Hylian. Otherwise, this is awesome.

wyrmslayer1991

Jun 14, 2011
Well I'm sufficiently amazed and impressed. Damn dog had to eat one of my discs though. I think I might have to make a trip over to steam.

Also, it makes me sad that something like this can't happen with fantasy warhammer. I feel like the total war series and warhammer have always needed to get busy and make a really fucking awesome bastard love-child... of awesomeness.

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
Give me one good reason why more games shouldn't let you play as giant spiders. That's what I thought.

Jun 11, 2008
Em I supposed it is a good way to show the power of mods but personally I really do not like the look of it. It looks more like a skin change to a game I already hate the mechanics for with a passion.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Now if only those guys made a mod like that based on an interesting world it'd be something amazing. So much talent is on display there, just the wrong choice of gaming universe.