Skyrim Beaten In Just Over Two Hours

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Skyrim Beaten In Just Over Two Hours

One of Bethesda's QA testers has beaten the highly anticipated RPG in an impressive two hours and sixteen minutes.

To a given value of "beaten," of course. Presumably QA tester Sam Bernstein didn't see too much of Skyrim's verdant scenery as he scuttled from quest to quest in a bid to beat development team rep Jeff Browne to the end credits. Bernstein's final time was a lightning-fast 2:16:10 - twenty seconds faster than Browne's effort. The speed run competition was held to celebrate Skyrim's imminent launch and cheats were not allowed. Bernstein, who can be seen basking in the august rays of victory above, received a small trophy for his troubles as well as a pie of his choice, baked by director Todd Howard. Bernstein also won the speed run competition for Fallout 3 back when it launched, finishing the post-apocalyptic RPG with a final completion time of 75 minutes. Not bad.

Of course, regular gamers who haven't been playing Skyrim non-stop for the past year - or designing it for that matter - probably won't get through the game quite that fast. Bethesda has claimed it will take players around 30 hours to beat the game's central quest, not including the time it takes them to father (or mother) a dynasty of lizard children.

You can take your best shot at Bernstein's record when Skyrim launches on November 11th.

Source: Bethesda Blog [http://www.bethblog.com/gate.php?referer=%2Findex.php%2F2011%2F10%2F13%2Fjeff-vs-sam-ii-the-skyrim-speedrun%2F]

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well the Fallout 3 campaign was mighty short. I remember I did a speed run once, and got it done in about a day.

So that means Skyrim will be longer? Good to know.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
2 hours huh? I'll count myself lucky if I finish the game in two months.

Still, good for him. And he got pie! That's a plus.

moose49408

Oct 18, 2008
Why would anyone try to beat the game that fast? Isn't the whole point of a Bethesda style game to explore the terrain, find hidden secret stories told through the environment and experience the rich expanse of side quests and adventures to be had that have nothing to do with the main quest? I put hundreds of hours into Oblivion, and I fully anticipate putting hundreds more into Skyrim. I mean I get the idea of a speed run, but with a game like this, that almost doesn't seem like an accomplishment.

EDIT: Or at the very least it defeats the purpose...

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
Damn, that's pretty impressive. I wonder if he still likes the game even though he had to play it so many times. From what I hear, playtesters tend to develop an aversion for the games they are testing.

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
20+ hours into Dark Souls, about half way through. Might pick up Skyrim once its discounted.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I don't understand how it's a good thing that he beat the game so fast. It's like someone getting an award for breaking a matress in two days. Sure, he was probably having sex with an elephant on it, but why would you buy a matress if you know it can get worn out in just two days?

Professor_Page

Oct 5, 2011
o_0 hehehehe sweet. cant wait to get my hands on it. only thing that will weight down my inevitable all night gaming binges will be the sex my (at the time of release) new wife will be badgering me for........maybe the all night gaming binge isnt so inevitable.

0over0

Dec 30, 2006
For those who are mystified by the accomplishment, did you actually read the whole article? Probably not--just like you're not reading anything here, either.
It seems pretty pointless, afterall, to comment on an article that one hasn't taken the time to fully read and understand. Kind of like, oh, I don't know....

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
It's amazing how fast some people pull off these speed runs. But I'm really not too surprised. Most times there is a FAQ already made for a game by noon of it's release date. Unless a game has a trophy I don't see any reason to rush playing through it. Very much like eating I like to taste what I'm chewing.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Before anyone starts bitching, speedrun isn't an indicator of how long the main quest will actually be. Morrowind can be beaten in just a little over 7 minutes, but in reality it's probably longer than Skyrim will be.

Damn, ninja'd again.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Grey Carter said:
Bernstein, who can be seen basking in the august rays of victory above, received a small trophy for his troubles as well as a pie of his choice, baked by director Todd Howard. Bernstein also won the speed run competition for Fallout 3 back when it launched, finishing the post-apocalyptic RPG with a final completion time of 75 minutes.
The only other Bernsteins I know of are the reporter who won various awards and Rugal Bernstein, SNK fighting game boss monster.

Pictured: Not the reporter.

Therefor I must believe that all Bernsteins everywhere are in fact next to invincible. If they are not warlocks then clearly they must at least be in league with warlocks.