Watch A Whale Decompose Beautifully

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Watch A Whale Decompose Beautifully

[vimeo=29987934]

Paper puppets and atmospheric sounds manage to make a rotting corpse touching and informative.

Crafted by Radiolab's website [http://www.sweetfernproductions.com/], the video tells a fascinating tale of what actually happens when a whale dies. As you may know, a whale is a huge creature, so when the animal passes away, its corpse becomes an entirely new ecosystem, with other animals feeding on and living in its various body parts.

Yes, the quick and dirty version of the story is sorta icky, but please watch the video. Its creators manage to take a story about a rotting corpse and somehow make it adorable and educational. Plus, the cello-heavy background music gives the whole thing a haunting, somber, yet hopeful air.

Normally, this is where I'd say something cynical to bring down the mood of the whole piece, but in this case, I've got nothing but love for this clip. Science should be more like this; informative yet reflecting the complex beauty of the natural world it seeks to describe.

Also, that squat lobster seems like a pretty solid dude. If it weren't for the crushing pressure differential at the bottom of the ocean, I would totally hang out with him.

Source: BoingBoing [http://boingboing.net/2011/10/14/beautiful-short-film-about-decomposition-of-a-whale-carcass.html]

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Simply put, beautiful.

Seriously. I agree with you, that is exactly what science should be like. A sense of wonder as well as an explanation.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Wonderful although I can't help but believe they may have missed a step of decomposition. The gases from the decomposition and all that blubber should make it float for some time, no?

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Biology geek's note: Before you go talking about "beggiatoa sp." you should know that the sp. just stands for species; it's used when you can't pinpoint the exact species, and it's incredibly common in bacteria since the line between one specie and another is incredibly blurry

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
That was so cool! It must have taken ages to make all the puppets!

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Oh god.
That...that's beautiful.
Can we have one with like...fifty dead whales now?

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
That's freaking awesome!

No other way to put it.

Who knew that watching a paper whale turn into a more bony version of itself could be so beautiful?

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I don't know if the video deserves all the "OMG Beautiful" responses, but it was still pretty impressive. The music is what made it awesome. I was expecting something a little more in-depth, but that was still good.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
reminds me of <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3djmDFMRQQ>this song

Still, its pretty cool how a way can contribute to the ocean for the full life it lived afer death.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Beautiful video. Thanks for sharing. Vimeo has some nice stuff but i can't be bothered to look myself. ^^
The Gentleman said:
As beautiful as that was, I'm disappointed that it isn't a timelapse of a actual carcass decomposing.
There is a BBC documentary called The Blue Planet that has an episode about the deep sea. The entire thing is fascinating and it has some footage of a whale corpse.

[sub]about thirty seconds in. hope the escapist doesn't mind me posting this link...[/sub]

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
That was sooooooo beautiful, I half expected a Big Daddy cut out to drift by.