No Single-Player DLC for Uncharted 3

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
No Single-Player DLC for Uncharted 3

Developers at Naughty Dog say they would rather spend their time working on a whole new game.

Although single-player DLC packs have become increasingly important components of AAA franchise titles in recent years, games studio Naughty Dog has revealed that its upcoming release Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception will not be getting any kind of single-player DLC after its launch. While the team has hinted at possible multiplayer DLC for the game, they say that they'd much rather spend their time working on new games than on creating episodic, single-player DLC.

In an interview with Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-14-why-uncharted-3-wont-get-single-player-dlc], game director Justin Richmond explained that his studio's small size means they have to manage their time carefully. "We're so small that we can't afford to have a whole team working on DLC," he said. "We'd much rather be working on the next game, producing the game quickly and having people play another adventure."

"Whenever we sit down and think we should do some single-player DLC, someone pitches something and we realize - that's a five hour level," Richmond continued.

Given the relatively small size of Naughty Dog (the company employs around 90 people on its development team, a workforce which is almost five times smaller than the group Activision rallied to develop Call of Duty) it makes perfect sense for it to avoid single-player DLC and focus its resources instead on one of the "new adventures" mentioned by Richmond. Even taken alone, the fact that this studio has managed to create something as expansive as Uncharted 3 with such a small team is impressive. It also suggests that perhaps much of Naughty Dog's recent success lies in this cautious and sensible approach to time and resources; there's a pragmatism about this decision which suggests much in the way of intelligence.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception will be released on November 2nd.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-14-why-uncharted-3-wont-get-single-player-dlc]

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
Expected this. The U2 multiplayer DLC was just skins and maps they already made for U1, so they don't seem to be too big on DLC. Unless a certain franchise wants them to have a storyline centered around sub sandwiches, of course.

naam

Dec 16, 2010
They are actually planning to sell the whole game in 1 go? Are they allowed to do this?

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Goodie. Uncharted hardly sets itself up for DLC I think.

Now go put a knife beneath your teeth and rescue Crash Bandicoot, okay naughty dog? =(

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I prefer the idea of one whole Uncharted single-player in one go, rather than having to pay for smaller, less well realised episodic adventures. The main campaign should wrap up Drake's trip through the sands nicely; anything more would make it have seemed pointless. You guys can get to work on the next game; my bank account is itching to fund all your future projects.

Just as long as you don't just sit down and pump out endless maps and weapons for the stupid MP.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Nice to hear someone isn't just jumping on a bandwagon for once. Then again Naughty Dog have been producing consistent hits for two decades now (that's scary), so it shouldn't be surprising that they make their own decisions.

Roofstone said:
Now go put a knife beneath your teeth and rescue Crash Bandicoot, okay naughty dog? =(
Best idea I've heard all day. Although they probably need to do nothing but call Sony and ask for him back, they don't want him anymore.

Remember, a Bandicoot is for life, not just for collecting gems.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
And this is why i love Naughty Dog... they make they're games for the audience, not for the big bucks ;)

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I've decided that I making Uncharted 3 my Multiplayer game for the Christmas season, I cannot be bothered to by the endless battlefield and CODs. Uncharted games have good single player and Uncharted 2 had good MP and Co-op so thats the one for me.

Uncharted 3, Skyrim and Batman is more than enough till next year easy

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Good people. I don't have a PS3 but I support these guys and Uncharted is one of the games I really want to play. Maybe I'll even get a PS3 one day.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
Naughty Dog is Sony, they are a part of the company, have been since, what, 1999? Crash Bandicoot is with Activision.
In that case I take it back, they can't ask Sony for him back because Bobby Kotick turned him into slippers.

Having gone off and read up a little, Activision are a strange bunch, since they bought the copyright in 2008 they've done exactly nothing with it.

That's even weirder than the situation I thought Crash was in before, with Sony having just given up, didn't realise they'd done that eight years ago...

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
it makes sense. the single player game is fantastic as is. their resources are better spent elsewhere.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
while I've no interest in Uncharted, like, at all
i like they're reasoning, and given its a 'small' crew, apparently, probably the best course of action

naam said:
They are actually planning to sell the whole game in 1 go? Are they allowed to do this?
probably not, but seems their gonna do it anyway, which just wins them more points in my book.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
TitanAtlas said:
And this is why i love Naughty Dog... they make they're games for the audience, not for the big bucks ;)
You realize that right in the article it says the opposite of that, right? "We're so small that we can't afford to have a whole team working on DLC,"

It's a business decision, plain and simple.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
For those wondering what the NEXT game in the Uncharted series will be, well there is a trend from naughty dog doing 4 main games of each franchise:

Uncharted: Drake Racing.

Actually, that would be fukkin' ace, if it was an open world driving game, bring in the guys from Motorstorm and make it like GTA with Joss Whedon writing (rather than faux-Tarantino)