Rumor: Assassin's Creed's Ezio Joins Soulcalibur V Cast

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Rumor: Assassin's Creed's Ezio Joins Soulcalibur V Cast

Is Ezio Auditore one of the fighters in Soulcalibur V? Based on an image captured at a recent fighting game tournament, that seems to be the case.

Ezio Auditore is the main protagonist of Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. He dresses like the Ku Klux Klan's idealized version of Batman and spends his days roaming the rooftops of Renaissance-era Italy, looking for people to stab, or just as often, tall things to leap off of.

Soulcalibur V is the upcoming latest iteration in Namco Bandai's most histrionic, wacky fighting game series -- which is a pretty impressive claim given that their other big series regularly features an alcoholic Mexican priest/professional wrestler who may or may yes be more jaguar than man at this point.

And now, if an image sent to Joystiq is to be believed, the former is a part of the latter.

From the site's report on the matter:

The picture ... was provided to us by an anonymous tipster, which we're told comes from a beta version of the upcoming Soulcalibur 5 appearing at recent fighting game tournament. If this shot is real, Assassin's Creed protagonist Ezio Auditore de Firenze will be a playable character in Soul Calibur 5, set to launch next year.

You can see the picture by visting Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/17/rumor-assassins-creeds-ezio-coming-to-soulcalibur-5] (professional courtesy prevents us from swiping the thing). In sum, it's an image of the game's character select screen with Ezio selected alongside Sophitia's daughter.

While I wish I had more solid info than the boys and girls at Joystiq, I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of the character in Soulcalibur V. Given the series' past cameos (Link, Spawn, Darth Vader, etcetera), this certainly seems like something that could happen, and the character would fit as well as Yoda did, but until we hear something from Namco Bandai, this remains a rumor.

Oh, and for the record, if this is true, I'd like to express a bit of disappointment in Namco Bandai. I realize that the Assassin's Creed series is a big hit among the unwashed masses, but there are far more viable cameo options out there.

Personally, I had my fingers crossed for Mega Man. Thanks to the upcoming Street Fighter X Tekken Namco Bandai and Capcom are on pretty good terms of late, and it's not like the Blue Bomber has anything else going on [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111745-Capcom-Kills-Mega-Man-Legends-3], right?

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/17/rumor-assassins-creeds-ezio-coming-to-soulcalibur-5/]

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Ugh, can we not just make a Soul Caliber with the Soul Caliber cast? Even MK is doing it now... Freddy, really? As much as I love Star Wars, those things were a wreck last time. Just make the game, use your characters, and make it good.

Edit: If you are going to add guest characters, do it all the way like Marvel vs Capcom. 1 or 2 characters just feels out of place.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Well....

His only attack would be a counter...
Where's the fun in that?

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
Airsoftslayer93 said:
Sounds awesome, far better fit than master chief or yoda
Without sounding like a dick, you do realize that it wasn't the MC in Soul Caliber right? T'was in fact a female spartan. Think it was Kelly!

But OT, sounds pretty cool. I've only just got round to playing AC2. Enjoying it quite a lot so far!

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Rancid0ffspring said:
Airsoftslayer93 said:
Without sounding like a dick, you do realize that it wasn't the MC in Soul Caliber right? T'was in fact a female spartan. Think it was Kelly!

But OT, sounds pretty cool. I've only just got round to playing AC2. Enjoying it quite a lot so far!
Actually it wasn't that either. The female spartan made a cameo in Dead or Alive 4.

There has not yet been any Halo/Soulcalibur crossover.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Rancid0ffspring said:
Airsoftslayer93 said:
Are you sure you're not thinking of Dead or Alive 4? If you aren't and Kelly was indeed in Soul Calibur I can't believe I am just learning this.

It would be fun if he used his hidden blades a lot, it would make for a very interesting, close combat style.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Hmm.... Eziel might actually fit into the game. I wouldn't care too much either way.

Yoda and the aprentice where a nightmare in 4. Yoda was impossible to hit and the Apprentice was essentially easymode. That dreadfull "starwars stage" that popped into our online games whenever we made the mistake of choosing random also didn't help.

Dec 14, 2009
As long as he isn't a broken piece of shit like Yoda, I'm all for him being in the game.

"Hey, you know what would be a good idea? Having a character that has some insane combos and can avoid most of the other character's attacks because he's only 2 feet tall."

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
It doesn't look right to me, it's a different art style. His face is too detailed and too small. All the recognizable character portraits have flat, anime-styled faces, even the armored ones, but his looks rendered from 3D images.

Still... if true, Ezio would be one of the most fitting of the guest characters in the series, considering he's actually from the supposed time period. I'm having visions of him leaping around the ring like Greed or tossing bombs and shooting guns like Thief (both from Soulcaliber 3). I could definitely support this idea.

Also interesting is the dude's picture next to Ezio on the select screen. Looks kind of like Jonah Hex, and has a similar "not quite right" look to it.

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Rancid0ffspring said:
Airsoftslayer93 said:

Actually it wasn't that either. The female spartan made a cameo in Dead or Alive 4.

There has not yet been any Halo/Soulcalibur crossover.
Yeah, i knew it was a female spartan, but i couldnt be arsed to go and look up the name that i had forgotten, i also remembered that the spartan was originally meant to be masterchief but it was changed. and yeah... i obviously don't have any knowledge of fighting games... :(

:D

Jeremy Skitz

Jul 1, 2009
why is everyone in a an uproar about these guest characters? its an awesome feature, Im quite happy as long as the story is longer and more enjoyable like in soul caliber 2. Ezio is awesome, its a good fit.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
oh that would be awesome. now Link was great for last generation, and I did check out SC4 just to see Yoda
not into fighting games, but this is definitely very cool (HIDDEN BLADE ATTACK...DOUBLE HIDDEN BLADE ATTACK)

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
As long as he isn't a broken piece of shit like Yoda, I'm all for him being in the game.

"Hey, you know what would be a good idea? Having a character that has some insane combos and can avoid most of the other character's attacks because he's only 2 feet tall."
It gets worse when you encounter a player who has hacked/modded the game. I got into a group where a guy came on and he picked Yoda, but only the top of Yoda's head showed up in the picture. Then in the battle, instead of having his lightsaber, he had two kabobs and was fighting like Cervantes. Luckily, the host kicked him after that battle.