Help Gaming Kids Overcome Cystic Fibrosis

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Help Gaming Kids Overcome Cystic Fibrosis

Meet Savannah and other kids like her who deal with disease through playing games.

The emotions wrapped up in coping with disease are even more pronounced when the disease strikes a child. When a newborn was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis even fifty years ago, there was very little doctors could do to help the child survive to attend school. But thanks to research, doctors can help children suffering from the disease but the treatments often require the kids to sit still for hours at a time. Many kids like 5-year-old Savannah [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/CysticFibrosisFoundation] keep their minds occupied by playing videogames.

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disease that basically fools the body into producing thick mucus in the lungs. The unusually sticky phlegm causes infection and disrupts the digestion system. One of the treatments involves wearing a vest that vibrates for 20 minutes twice a day to thin the mucus and knock it loose. Savannah has been treated this way her entire life, but through it all she remains an active and happy child.

To pass the time during treatments, she logs onto the Webkinz game on her parents' laptop and plays Petz Nursery on her DS; we're confident she'll eventually graduate to more hardcore fare like Pokemon and Super Mario Bros. soon.

The Escapist asked Savannah and her parents to talk about their experience with cystic fibrosis and how research has improved her health. Over the next few days, we'll be talking to three other kids who have struggled with this disease.

Click here to meet Savannah and donate to help doctors figure out new ways to make their lives a little easier. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/CysticFibrosisFoundation]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Done.

Just donated $50, it's all I can afford at the moment, and I hope other people donate as well. I will most likely come back and donate more when my paycheck drops later this week.

Renco van der Tang

May 20, 2010
I donated 10 dollars American, it's not much, but it's all I can afford right now, I'll consider throwing down more when my paycheck comes 'round.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Just waiting for my first paycheck to come and I'll be bang on this. Battlefield 3 can wait, these kids need me!

Satsuki666 said:
You know if their is one thing I hate its manipulative charity runs like this.
Oh, come on! They're just trying to help the little kiddies, I can't see any gain for the Escapist here.

Renco van der Tang

May 20, 2010
Satsuki666 said:
Is it manipulative because it tries to tug one's heart-strings? Maybe, but by that token the day-to-day life of the family and friends of these people is also manipulative, some things really just are heart-breaking, and if presenting it as such to people who live priviledged lives of health is what it takes to rake in the money needed to cure a disease, then I have no problem with that.

Jwioden

Nov 5, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
You are a dick.

As someone who has the disease it is nice to see it get some recognition. CF seems to be one of the most forgotten terminal diseases.
Kudos to the escapist for doing this. Hopefully many people donate.

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
As someone with cystic fibrosis, I like hearing stories like this. I thank those who research the condition and those who have donated since they're the reason I've held out long with it (I'm 29).

edit: ninja'd by Jwioden, kinda

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
If I wanted to know how much 5 NZD would be in the US, what would be the most reliable site? I don't usually donate but hell, it's probably more worth it than Megadeth's new album.

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
No, thanks. I'll keep my cash on hand for when they cure Tourette's Syndrome. Until then, nobodies getting my money.

Seriously, TS is horrible. I await the day I die, just so that I can finally have some damn peace.

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
Cheshire the Cat said:
...Hmm, wonder what the escapists cut of this charity money will be...
Zero. All donations are made directly to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation,a registered non-profit organization in the United States established to provide the means to cure and control cystic fibrosis.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
while this is all good what interests me is why games are so glorified in here. so during the treatment she plays games to keep her mind off. other people do many other thigns for same reason, games are not the sole solution to keep your mind off things. really, this is nothing new.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Strazdas said:
while this is all good what interests me is why games are so glorified in here. so during the treatment she plays games to keep her mind off. other people do many other thigns for same reason, games are not the sole solution to keep your mind off things. really, this is nothing new.
Um... it may have something to do with this being a games magazine?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
As much as I want to donate money right now, my bank account is literally running on empty.

However! I get paid tomorrow ;)