Dead Inside

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Dead Inside

Look deep within Dead Island and you?ll find there?s more to than just fun ways to kill zombies.

Read Full Article

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I am left with the feeling that you give the game too much credit. Way too much.

It's like I listened to someone sing Old McDonald had a farm, then read an essay about Animal Farm.

I earnestly wish Dead Island had the sophistication of the latter rather than the former, but I'm not seeing it. At all.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dead island does not interest me.

This article, however, did a lot to interest me. While I kind of side with the notion you're reading too much into it, I applaud you for finding any narrative that made me reconsider my stance on a first person shooter.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Zhukov said:
I am left with the feeling that you give the game too much credit. Way too much.

I earnestly wish it was that sophisticated.
Glad to see it's not just me reading that and thinking "Did ... Did you play a different Dead Island than I did? Because the one being written about sounds waaaaay better"

May 28, 2009
Zhukov said:

I earnestly wish it was that sophisticated.
My thoughts exactly, it was a terrible game

econael

Apr 15, 2009
What struck me as odd in Jin's storyline, is that she has obviously been physically (likely sexually) abused before she was rescued and even though the two female protagonists caught up on it, they didn't offer her any comfort whatsoever. (Btw, the two male protagonists were so unperceptive and lacking in empathy that said fact flew right over their heads. Typical false representation of males.)

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'm sorry, but what the hell? Dead Island might have some sort of narrative objective, much in the same way Left 4 Dead manages to build a coherent universe with set pieces and graffiti, but it clearly isn't as easily perceptible as you'd think. The class distinction Russ spoke of is something that was barely glanced over. Fighting through crummy neighborhoods away from downtown Banoi doesn't quite suffice in making me feel the place is real. It's just a copy-paste of what you'll find if you book a flight for the Riviera Maya and take a cab away from the resort for just forty minutes. Or what you'll find in Cuba. Banoi is just as poorly realized as Pandak Panay's Micronesian island in Just Cause 2.

The idea that you can just ignore the characters' respective natures and play them as "The knife lady" or the "Blunt Weapons Guy" really shouldn't have been sold as a positive. Gordon Freeman is a properly crafted blank slate. Dead Island's characters offer no opportunity for you to project your own feelings and impressions onto them. They exist in a weird limbo where they do have personality, but what comes through is so stilted it feels even worse than if they'd been left blank.

It even failed to deliver on basic Survival Horror mainstays. I never felt a sense of weakness or danger, not when the All-Powerful Boot to the Torso or Head could solve anything and everything. Why bother swinging weapons when you can curb-stomp zombies ad infinitum?

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
Did you really find a gratifying narrative experience in Dead Island? I loved the game but for its gameplay and because it's the only game doing what it is doing. I am really surprised that you found so much depth in it. I can not see it at all. Is this a case of critic/non critic divergence again, I wonder.

It felt more like the writers did not know how to tell a story amidst all the madness going on gameplay wise. You can always try your best to tell an emotional story, if gamers want to get to the cutting zombies part, they'll ignore it no matter how good it is, but you think they tried to be subtle? I feel like you are giving them way too much credit.

The game is still amazingly fun and I'll still go back and play it, but I really do not see where you are coming from on this one. Opinions I guess!

Windu23

Aug 6, 2008
This is either

1. An optimistically positive view of the intentions and settings of the game.
or
2. An epic back-handed troll by the former EIC.

Either way, I want to finish this game now.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
It seems strange how you say survival is the ultimate goal and then go on about how much fun it is to viscerally kill zombies with creative weapons.

Also, you know what I want to see? A zombie game where you ARENT fucking immune and you can actually change just by getting bitten, that would make you think twice before running into a horde and swinging a mallet.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Windu23 said:
or
2. An epic back-handed troll by the former EIC.
This did not occur to me.

Mr Pitts, if this true, then well played. Very well played indeed.

Sleepingzombie

Dec 7, 2009
I have some counterpoints to some of the Authors opinion. Namely:

"They are real, fleshed-out people with all the layers of emotion and hidden motivations of any normal human being. Instead of super-human space marines, they are (in no particular order) a rap singer, an office worker, a security consultant and a former athlete. Each has a detailed and informative personal story, but none are in any way remarkable as characters in the way of traditional videogame clichés. Rather they are more like the tragic heroes of literature, each having wrestled with personal (if mundane) demons before finding themselves thrust into the role of savior and protector"

That could´ve been the intention of the developers but the thing that carries through into the product is a textbook example of cliché game characters. I agree with the Author that the basics idea- have a protagonist that isnt a space marine, a real person with a backstory and personal demons. But thanks to poor execution that does not come across in the game. That is my subjective opinion.

Also the "rescue the girl NPC" thing, that the Author judged to be a conscius design choise is more a mark of the games chore questing formula. Good have been done good but I don´t think they pulled it off.

Though there is fun to be had in the game, and it had the "stuff" to be a good horror game. Imagine the indoor areas where you explore, the atmoshere as you walked in the abandoned corridors in the 1-person perspective. Those moments had alot of potential.

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
What a strange, strange article.

I guess beauty lies, after all, in the eyes of the beholder. The only engrossing thing Dead Island has provided me was its trailer.

To each his own, I guess.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Hilarious. I was just about to write a review on Dead Island explaining why it was sub-par, and delete the game permanently from my system this very morning :D

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Grabbin Keelz said:
It seems strange how you say survival is the ultimate goal and then go on about how much fun it is to viscerally kill zombies with creative weapons.

Also, you know what I want to see? A zombie game where you ARENT fucking immune and you can actually change just by getting bitten, that would make you think twice before running into a horde and swinging a mallet.
There was a multiplayer Half-Life mod that did this; I can't find it though.