Doom 4 is Not Postponed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Doom 4 is Not Postponed

Despite what you may have heard, Bethesda Softworks says Doom 4 has not been postponed.

It's kind of unusual to report that a game isn't delayed but in this case I think it's worth making an exception. announced [http://kotaku.com/5851953/doom-4-indefinitely-postponed-following-rages-disappointing-launch] more than three years ago but other projects, which is to say Rage, have taken priority.

Still, while an indefinite delay is not good news for fans of the franchise, here's something that is: there is no delay. "Complete bollocks," Pete Hines, Bethesda's vice president of marketing, followup [http://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon/status/127362822731599872].

Was Rage really that bad? The PC release had some serious technical problems but the general consensus among the people I know who played it is that it's thin but decent fun, which pretty much describes every id game to come out since 1994. And "it's an id game" doesn't strike me as a very good reason to postpone anything.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Yea, I feel like I would've bought Rage Day 1...if it hadn't come out the same day as Dark Souls. I still plan on getting it, but what with Battlefield 3 out next week, It may be waiting to Dead December.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It was pretty good but it was a bit of a tease, I mean it looked fantastic... from a distance, I played it on pc so upclose a bunch of textures looked like crap since the auto graphics thing sucks. But the game gave you the impression of giving you this big open world and then didn't, it was a tease, you ended up with many knee high invisible walls and the most open world looking corridor shooting I've ever seen.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well if I am going to quote Pete Hines totally out of the context here, which is always fun, I would say that

Rage was complete, and i quote, "Bollocks," end quote.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Doom 4 is Not Postponed
Oh, thank god, they cancelled...
Andy Chalk said:
"Complete bollocks," Pete Hines, Bethesda's vice president of marketing, followup [http://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon/status/127362822731599872].
GODDAMNIT! Can we please just have a new engine without having to remake the same game every time?

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Good--I love the simple fun of id games, and if Doom 4 is going to be more like the first Doom games, I'm all for it.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
The Gentleman said:
Andy Chalk said:
Doom 4 is Not Postponed
Oh, thank god, they cancelled...
Andy Chalk said:
"Complete bollocks," Pete Hines, Bethesda's vice president of marketing, followup [http://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon/status/127362822731599872].
GODDAMNIT! Can we please just have a new engine without having to remake the same game every time?
I'm sorry, since when was Doom 2 remade? Because Doom 3, with it's reduced enemies and cheap scares, was certainly not a remake.

I want a Doom remake that's something in the line of this.

<youtube=ZHKgAl6oMt4>

Also, id really needs to pull their shit together. They spent more than half a decade on a game that's 10 hours long, whose main feature, megatexturing, just resulted in baked lighting, no destructible environment, bad texture resolutions and really huge file sizes.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
DVS BSTrD said:
What we need is more Ego
Unfortunately... ID is too strong.
Kudos on the forbidden planet reference. I'm always surprised when someone other than me has seen it.

Maybe if ID did some better QA, it would've done better. I still can't play the damn game.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Rage wasnt that bad, maybe a little thin in the story department but gameplay was fun and worked well. Not sure what were those serious tecdhnical issues on the PC version, textures loaded slowly at first but the 1st patch fixed it for me.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Gonna be honest and say Rage was not THAT bad...

Story wise was rather weak.... hell... there's not much of a story. And the graphical problems did create some problems. And the game is tremendously short for what it is...

But visually it's off the chart, the gameplay is fluid and good and the sound for it is amazing!!

It's not a 10/10 game, it's more of a 7/10 game then anything else... Not excellent, but very good.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I honestly wouldn't be opposed to the brainless violence that was the original DOOM game so long as they added the secret doors and stuff for the people that like to do the thinkings (myself being amongst them). A lot of games talk about how realistic they are now, but I haven't really seen much of a good game to just straight up kill shit while wandering around for a while.

I've always had a lot of faith in id, but after RAGE, I'm not super enthusiastic, but I grew up playing id games like DOOM and Quake, so I'm still a fan of them, even if they did stumble a bit. I just hope that Doom 4 is a little more like DOOM and less like Doom 3. Although I wouldn't mind if it went the horror route again, so long as they got it right this time around.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
I enjoyed my time with Rage, sure there were technical issues but it worked perfect for me right out of the box so I really can't complain. I'm really looking forward to what they bring with Doom 4 so naturally I was a little disappointed hearing there might be issues with its production, good thing it was only a rumor. The big thing Id desperately needs is writers, the days of corridor shooting are over and they need to start working on a narrative that is going to set them above their peers. With Doom, the IP needs a new direction where they still maintain the atmosphere and gun play that made it special but introduce more freedom and an actual world to explore and get immersed in.

scoopz

Sep 15, 2011
MasterOfWorlds said:
I honestly wouldn't be opposed to the brainless violence that was the original DOOM game so long as they added the secret doors and stuff for the people that like to do the thinkings (myself being amongst them). A lot of games talk about how realistic they are now, but I haven't really seen much of a good game to just straight up kill shit while wandering around for a while.

I've always had a lot of faith in id, but after RAGE, I'm not super enthusiastic, but I grew up playing id games like DOOM and Quake, so I'm still a fan of them, even if they did stumble a bit. I just hope that Doom 4 is a little more like DOOM and less like Doom 3. Although I wouldn't mind if it went the horror route again, so long as they got it right this time around.
You took the words directly from my mouth. I always loved that style of 'kill everything and find the secret shit.' I'm sad they don't make games like that anymore.

id was my childhood (videogame wise), along with pokemon... and the first tony hawk skate game.

Edit: Also, Rage really wasn't that bad. I mean sure it's story was a little... underdeveloped, but it was fun and spent a good amount of time playing it. I also didnt have any graphical/technical problems like others did.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Part of me wonders if this was essentially a "Yes, our overlords dressed us down, but that wasn't intended for public consumption" sort of thing.

I will say that games like Rage make it seem like less and less of a good idea to buy/pre-order anything before you get to hear the reviews, though.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Who could believe that Bethesda would delay a game with technical problems anyway?
They've released some of the glitchiest titles this console cycle. These titles fly off the shelf anyway so why would Doom 4 all of a sudden be the one to get delayed.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
will this teach them to not endorse allways on DRM and cut single player content? ... probably not not alot of learning in the industry.