Mass Effect 3 Demo Coming in January - Or Sooner

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass Effect 3 Demo Coming in January - Or Sooner

A Mass Effect 3 demo is coming in January, but Battlefield 3 buyers can get it even sooner.

Do we need a Mass Effect 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Collectors-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYZS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319212298&sr=8-1], which is easily available for about 20 bucks these days, or less if you dig. Now, do we want a Mass Effect 3 demo? That's a whole different question.

For everyone who answered, "My goodness, yes" [and that's probably a lot of you], here's some good news: there will be a demo, it's coming in January 2012 and it will include both single-player and multiplayer bits, so you can get a taste of both sides of the coin.

And what if you don't want to wait until January? No problemo! Just pick up Battlefield 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Limited-Xbox-360/dp/B003O6G5TW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319212417&sr=8-1] on any platform - new, not used, thanks - and you'll automatically be given early access to the multiplayer part of the demo when you activate your Online Pass.

And what if you hate Battlefield 3? No problemo! Another early access offer for those who love Mass Effect but hate everything else will be announced in late November or early December.

Specific release dates for the demo, both regular and early access, will be announced in late November, as will the length of the early-access period. The early-access demo will be strictly multiplayer, while the single-player component will be available to all players on the day it launches, in all regions in which the game itself is coming out. For more information [or if you just want to read messages from people who are angry about this for one silly reason or another], hit up the BioWare Social Network [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/324/index/8554052/1].

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I for one wouldn't mind a demo as I've been kinda wary of Bioware games lately. I couldn't give a shit about the MP demo, but iwouldnt mind seeing what they've change/improved/broke in sp before spending my money.

rohansoldier

Sep 5, 2011
I will definately download it just to see what the new stuff is all about and give the mp a try.

Definately buying it day one though as I have already pre ordered it with Gamestation.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
What does Mass Effect have to do with Battlefield?

EA, you just don't understand what this game is do you?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Hm, guess I should get around to acquiring ME 1 and ME 2, then D: I've sort of missed out on the whole Mass Effect train. Hopefully someone in my family can find them for Christmas (or just gives me a Steam gift card...).

Apr 28, 2008
Prof. Monkeypox said:

Both are shooters that feature badasses killing dudes in badass ways.

OT: Why can't they just make the multiplayer part of the demo available to everyone and not make people jump through hoops to play it?

You know, let us try it out. Demo it, if you will, without having to jump through a bunch of stupid hoops. At least it's just early access, though I question the logic of giving the people who are the most likely to buy the game a demo early instead of the people not so likely to buy it. Then again your customers are pretty much set in stone what with this being the third game in a trilogy, though that also raises the question of why your putting an online pass into this game when the people who want it will buy new, and the people that don't won't buy it, which means no decent amount of profit will be gained.

I just don't know anymore.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
But Mass Effect 2 is just a 20 buck demo for ME3. All you have to do is watch the gameplay vids on utube to know that ME3 is basically just one real big ME2 expansion pack.

This whole thing is beginning to sound like the MW3 argument...

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Irridium said:
OT: Why can't they just make the multiplayer part of the demo available to everyone and not make people jump through hoops to play it?

You know, let us try it out. Demo it, if you will, without having to jump through a bunch of stupid hoops.
Suppose it's better than "Give us 50 millions likes on Facebook and you'll get the demo"

Good thing I'm getting BF3 then :)

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Irridium said:
Prof. Monkeypox said:

Both are shooters that feature badasses killing dudes in badass ways.

You know, let us try it out. Demo it, if you will, without having to jump through a bunch of stupid hoops.
They are doing that, the early access is multiplayer only, while the later demo has both multiplayer and single player. "there will be a demo, it's coming in January 2012 and it will include both single-player and multiplayer bits"

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Prof. Monkeypox said:

Is there something in this world that E.A. understands?

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Well im guessing that means geting the demo on origin... does anyone know if ME3 is going to be origin only?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
I remember a time when putting demos of future games on CDs was common practice.
It's not that I hate Battlefield 3 (or everything else for that matter) Mr. Chalk, but I'm certainly not going to buy the game just so I can get an Online Pass for the ME3 demo before they've even announced when the demo is going to be released.
I wouldn't have even known Soul Reaver existed if there weren't a demo for it that came with Crash Bandicoot.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Who wants to bet that there will be a two week Xbox 360 exclusive early access to the demo, while everyone else waits for it to be released?

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
SidingWithTheEnemy said:
Prof. Monkeypox said:

Is there something in this world that E.A. understands?

Good on yah, I guess they understand that- but I don't think they know how to get it.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
Stop shoving your ****ty ****ing game down our throats. People who care about Battlefield 3 are not the same crowd of people who care about Mass Effect 3.
I respectfully disagree sir/madam. I am quite fond of both franchises, and find it a nice treat to get early access to a demo for a game I'm sure I'll enjoy in a game I already plan on getting.

But you being angry over it, is perfectly natural. I guess my having varied tastes is quite offensive, eh?

Soviet Heavy said:
Who wants to bet that there will be a two week Xbox 360 exclusive early access to the demo, while everyone else waits for it to be released?
If anything it'd be PS3 at this point, since Bioware went EA. Since EA has kind of chosen the PS3 as of late over the 360.