Soul Calibur Coming To iPhone

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Soul Calibur Coming To iPhone

Namco knows you want to take Soul Calibur games with you everywhere, so it's bringing the original title to the iPhone.

Earlier this week, Namco Bandai delighted a lot of people when it revealed that Ezio Auditore (of Assassin's Creed fame) <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113718-Rumor-Assassins-Creeds-Ezio-Joins-Soulcalibur-V-Cast>was going to make a guest appearance in the upcoming Soul Calibur V. Not content to make only one big announcement before the weekend starts, the publisher's got some other news for fans of the franchise: Soul Calibur is coming to the iPhone.

The iOS version of the original game is supposedly set to launch sometime close to the release of Soul Calibur V on January 31st, 2012. However, according to Joystiq, the game may come to the App Store before then:

While [Namco Bandai VP of marketing Carlson Choi] wouldn't divulge any specific time frame for the game's availability, Choi said it would be available "soon."

Namco Bandai has a serious presence in the App Store, but doesn't have too many ports of its better-known games available for the iPhone and iPad. That said, if the publisher is starting to jump on the porting bandwagon in earnest, it'll be interesting to see if any other Soul Calibur titles (or my personal favorite, Soul Blade) get brought to Apple devices.

Source: Joystiq

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Transcending technology and the web, a tale of apps and ringtones eternally retold...

OT: Meh... no opinion on the matter.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
wow... that actually made me feel violently ill just reading that.

I mean, if that floats your boat, then by all means, have it. I just dont think its going to be a good port. just seeing the motion controls fail doesnt spire me to touch controls.

And people wnat to claim soul cal is button masher now, I cant wait to see the claims against it wen it goes to touch.

Oh, wait, its on an i- product. so its going to get a pass.

/not excited in anyway about the way Soul cal is going.

coates32

Jun 10, 2011
Kimarous said:
Transcending technology and the web, a tale of apps and ringtones eternally retold...

OT: Meh... no opinion on the matter.
That was an awesome joke.

On topic:
If iPhone gamers want to get their Soul Calibur fix on their iPhones, that's fine with me, I just find it hard to imagine playing it on such a small device (especially with its control layout).

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
"Push finger forward to attack!
Push finger forward twice for Super Blade Storm!
Push finger forward three times for ULTRA LIMIT BREAK SWORD STORM"

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Can't say I'm excited because the controls will suck on a touchscreen. That being said, it's still pretty impressive that they've managed to get it on a phone.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Why do this? Why port these types of games on a platform with controls that aren't suited for it?
This will fail.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
Just because a developer -can- with the technology, doesn't mean that they should. I'd be curious to see if anyone has their first exposure to the series through the iPhone version, and if it taints their opinion of the entire series, or fighting games in general.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
vansau said:
upcomign Soul Calibur V.
TYPO!

OT: Great news. Although I'm curious how well it'll run, I can't wait to find out. I'm a fan of the series, and I never got a chance to play the first one. So, yay!

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
emeraldrafael said:
wow... that actually made me feel violently ill just reading that.

I mean, if that floats your boat, then by all means, have it. I just dont think its going to be a good port. just seeing the motion controls fail doesnt spire me to touch controls.

And people wnat to claim soul cal is button masher now, I cant wait to see the claims against it wen it goes to touch.

Oh, wait, its on an i- product. so its going to get a pass.

/not excited in anyway about the way Soul cal is going.
There there my friend, there there. As for the ios app, it appears to not be a straight up port but includes additional fighters such as Cassandra, which I find interesting. But what really intrigues me is how they're going to work the controls on this, I can't imagine you can get great controls with a touch screen interface.

As for the soul series you might feel a little better if you read this:
http://8wayrun.com/threads/jaxels-impressions-on-soulcalibur-v.8605/

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Ghengis John said:
emeraldrafael said:
There there my friend, there there. As for the ios app, it appears to not be a straight up port but includes additional fighters such as Cassandra, which I find interesting. But what really intrigues me is how they're going to work the controls on this, I can't imagine you can get great controls with a touch screen interface.

As for the soul series you might feel a little better if you read this:
http://8wayrun.com/threads/jaxels-impressions-on-soulcalibur-v.8605/
Nothing is ever going to make me feel better about this game. this is my last soul calibur if they continue to make the games this way and daishi continues to run it into the ground. Im still of the opinino of just making soul cal the CaS and letting you build a character and story of your own, with the arcade and online play as other game modes.

And while Im sure it wont be exactly like it is on a controller (I just dont think its physically possible) they'll probably do something to make it work decently... for the iPhone.

and Im sure that phrase will be made often to excuse this game, or create a shield. It runs well for the iPhone. it looks good, for the iPhone. it plays well, for the iPhone.

Id ont know. im just... not impressed.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Once it's available, I know my GF will get it for her iPhone and maybe even on her mom's iPad. I'm kind of curious to see if it's going to be better than the Dreamcast one though.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
If there's one thing I have always wanted in my pocket, I am quite certain that Voldo isn't it.

Shoggoth2588 said:
Once it's available, I know my GF will get it for her iPhone and maybe even on her mom's iPad. I'm kind of curious to see if it's going to be better than the Dreamcast one though.
The controls alone will make it worse, even if it ends up looking better (though the original DC version still looks rather decent today). If there's one thing that kills a fighting game even as a casual on the go experience, it's poor controls.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Ok,so when the fuck will Namco give me the game 7th Deadly Beats that I paid a dollar for,oh that's right, NEVER.

I refuse to give Namco anymore money for my iPhone stuff,I have a flaming grudge that cannot be cooled.

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
I like how I'm the first in this thread to bring up a much more glaring issue with this plan, more so than the controls.

If you have an Iphone, you know its battery life is less than ideal if you make a lot of phone calls, or use it quite actively.

Now imagine playing a game when your battery is such a bounty of power.

Yeah....... I think I won't be getting this.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Oh Namco, you know me so well. I do want to take Soul Calibur with me everywhere, which is exactly why I have it on the PSP. Y'know, a thing with actual buttons, suited for a fighting game.