EA Says There's "Scope" to Remake the Original Syndicate

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Says There's "Scope" to Remake the Original Syndicate

Take heart, Syndicate fans - EA says there's "scope" to remake the original game.

I don't care what any of you say, I think the new Bullfrog classic [http://www.amazon.com/Syndicate-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SX2MK/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319476093&sr=8-1].

"The original was such a classic. There is scope to remake it," EA Partners Executive Producer Jeff Gamon told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-24-ea-there-is-scope-to-remake-syndicate]. "But I don't think it necessarily has to be exactly the same genre. If we did there are probably other platforms which are more suitable for it than the consoles we're making it for, if we wanted to go in that more strategic route, that perspective."

"It" presumably refers to the upcoming Syndicate FPS, which comes out next year for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, and which Gamon sees as more of a starting point than an addition to the series. EA wants to build franchises rather than one-shot games, he explained, but the age of the original Syndicate, which came out in 1993, means that a lot of gamers these days know nothing about it. "So we need to go out there with a game, with a brand, and establish that brand and just take it from there," he said.

Fingers are crossed and all that, but don't expect any squad-based tactical announcements anytime soon. "I would love to see Syndicate as a true franchise again, bringing it back and expanding it out onto whatever platforms it's suitable for," he said. "There's loads of potential. We're not limited at all. But that's purely speculative at this point."

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
I have high hopes for this and I really want this to succeed because I really like Starbreeze's work. Never played the original games.

But I'm really skeptical about it. RPS have already given it a "meh" preview and I rarely disagree with those guys.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/24/syndicate-preview/

"Syndicate, or at least the ten minutes of it that I played, was disappointing. Not because it?s a first-person shooter based on a top-down strategy game and seems to have little in common with the original. I don?t care about that. The existence of the new game in no way affects the existence of the first game, and we?re promised that this FPS?s story is entirely based in the Bullfrog-created world. It was disappointing because this snippet was surprisingly dull to play."

crossing fingers...

Apr 28, 2008
Yeah... thing is, I have enough shooters. I'm full on those.

Unless it does something really amazing, I'm gonna pass on this one.

I mean, I do love Starbreeze's work, especially after The Darkness, but like the guy above linked... this thing just looks "meh".

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Wait, so what does "scope" mean in that sentence?

I never played the original and have no interest in the FPS version of Syndicate, but it would be nice to build both genres of games along with the same name. Blizzard does this with their Warcraft franchise and it worked pretty well (though admittedly they only did it once, going from RTS to MMORPG).

To me this just sounds like "Hey, cool down fans of the original! If you really like the franchise, then buy this FPS version and we'll think about making a sequel to the original genre!"

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
I still don't get it.....

It is Syndicate in name only, nothing I've seen so far indicates any resemblance to the game I loved as a youngster. I don't see how using that IP would in anyway increase sales, oh well, always Dawn of War II, as close to a true Syndicate sequel I'm ever gunna get it seems.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
As much as I liked (not loved) The Riddick games, these guys make linear story games. I can't even reasonably expect a X-Com style squad system from these guys. The box art guy in infiltration garb and no droned out look in his eyes allowed me a glimpse into the future storyline:

You are _________ whose father was turned into an assault drone by the evil _______ corporation. Infiltrate _________'s headquarters to discover what became of your father and free the people from tyrannical rule.

Yeah, they can go fall into a ditch.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
This tells me that if the FPS succeeds and establishes the Syndicate brand for the current age, then they will branch out and make the Syndicate I know and love. Ohpleaseohpleaseohplease.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
At least syndicate seems to follow the story of the original games... or is at least set in the same universe, unlike the new xcom. But its still annoying that the most common though when a publisher thinks to remake an old game is to make it a fps.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
This is probably one of the best responses to questioning about using an old IP that I've seen. He basically admits that they are using the IP simply because they love what it offers and how it was designed, but that doing a strategy game isn't going to make them the kind of money they need to truly reboot Syndicate as a multi faceted franchise.

I also like the admission that the Syndicate name won't have any real appeal to the modern gamer and they're using the FPS genre to hopefully open the door a bit. None of the typical BS about how FPS is really the best genre for the franchise or how it is going to magically be everything for both old fans and new (Hey X-Com guys, I'm looking at you).

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"The original was such a classic. There is scope to remake it,"
THEN WHY THE LIVING HELL DIDN'T YOU? WASN'T THERE ENOUGH BOOBS IN IT FOR YOU?

Caps for emphasis. Bold for emphasis. One line for emphasis.

[sub]Yes, I know, you thought you could get more money by calling your Deus Ex ripoff after a classic instead. Tossers[/sub]

Next up: Syndicate: The Tower Defence game. (And if anyone quotes me saying that would be really cool, then there's going to be a squad of 4 trench-coated figures coming round your way very soon.)

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
Voltano said:
Wait, so what does "scope" mean in that sentence?
Blizzard does this with their Warcraft franchise and it worked pretty well (though admittedly they only did it once, going from RTS with RPG elements to MMORPG).
i have no idea what he means with scope..
also fixed..
yeah.. considering the amount of RPG's the community of WC3 made i don't think that going from WC3 to an MMORPG was that big a step.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Syndicate wasn't the gameplay, it was the setting. The gameplay wasn't really that good. Walk your guys near target, turn on drugs, everything dies, or you die and you restart mission.

The corps rule the world, they kidnap people off the street, scoop out their brain, cut off their junk, and spray plastic on their skin, then send them off to murder people. Civilians are there to amuse you or to be your human shields. Cars are meant to be jacked, cops are meant to be gunned down, enemies get persuaded or ventilated.

The world is a bleak crapsack with black and blacker morality. That is what made Syndicate a great game. If the new one is "good vs evil" or even "wangsty dark and edgy 90s anti-hero" vs "even worse guys who prove how evil they are by shooting puppies" then it will crap.

If they load the game with civilians to shoot and missions to kill nice people to the point where some organization with the word "family" in its name bitches about it on Fox then it might be good.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I read this part ...

EA wants to build franchises rather than one-shot games, he explained, but the age of the original Syndicate, which came out in 1993, means that a lot of gamers these days know nothing about it. "So we need to go out there with a game, with a brand, and establish that brand and just take it from there," he said.
[/unquote]

... to mean that players are not aware of the Syndicate brand and thus EA needs to establish it. If that is the case, why not just use a different name then? Why use Syndicate if you believe the brand name is not established, or recognised by your target market ?
Call it GenericbutvisceralFPS 1 - The beginning of the end of the sequel to the prequel of the series pilot project... theres a name, now establish the brand and quit ripping out the heart and guts of old memories to pad your bloody wallet.

Whats the EA guy trying to say here, support this Syndicate...and prehaps we will make a more true to form Syndicate, you know where you can shove that idea.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Quite honestly, I'd rather they do some action and let GOG re-release the original games. Actions speak louder than words, after all.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
Way to hold the IP hostage guys, Satan himself can learn from you.

"Buy our game or else we wont make that TRUE SYNDICATE GAME (TM)"

Whats next?

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Packie_J said:
I have high hopes for this and I really want this to succeed because I really like Starbreeze's work. Never played the original games.

But I'm really skeptical about it. RPS have already given it a "meh" preview and I rarely disagree with those guys.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/24/syndicate-preview/

"Syndicate, or at least the ten minutes of it that I played, was disappointing. Not because it?s a first-person shooter based on a top-down strategy game and seems to have little in common with the original. I don?t care about that. The existence of the new game in no way affects the existence of the first game, and we?re promised that this FPS?s story is entirely based in the Bullfrog-created world. It was disappointing because this snippet was surprisingly dull to play."

crossing fingers...
Shame that Starbreeze these days is unrecognisable from what it was.

http://www.1up.com/features/starbreeze-secret-history?pager.offset=1

You're welcome for crushing your hopes, by the way.

(And I saw that RPS article too, and can only hope those 10mins aren't at all representative of the finished game)

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
EA basically said they want to build franchises rather than one-shot games, he explained, but the age of the original Syndicate, which came out in 1993, means that a lot of gamers these days know nothing about it. "So we need to go out there with a game, with a brand, and establish that brand and just take it from there,"

This basically means they're trying to relate to THIS generation of gamers AKA the COD-kiddies. They know that older gamers from 93 are still out there, yet there's more of the latter gaming demographic. So that's why it's a FPS eventhough the market is FLOODED with them. EA is trying to make money from this stab in the dark the easiest way possible. If they kept it a tactical game most kids (eventhough from all the LoL, SC2, etc players out there this is a huge lie) are gonna be turned off by a tactical game, especially when it comes to Syndicate.