The World's Biggest Pumpkin, Carved Into Zombies!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

The world's heaviest pumpkins are carved up for Halloween - into zombies!

True story: I was late for work a few weeks ago because I got stuck behind some guy hauling three giant pumpkins for display at the local fair. And it was okay, because when I finally made it to town I got to tell everyone that I saw not one, not two, but three giant pumpkins on the way in. Giant pumpkins are awesome, in other words. But they're even more awesome when they're carved up into zombies!

[gallery=525]

Pumpkin sculptor Ray Villafane turned two of the four mammoths on display at the New York Botanical Garden [http://www.nybg.org/plant-talk/2011/10/around-the-garden/zombies-in-the-garden/], including a world-record-setter, into a gorgeously creepy undead tableau for the coming All Hallows' Eve. The flesh [mmm, flesh] of Brant and Eleanor Bordsen's 1693 pound behemoth was used to create the zombies, while the 1818.5 pound monster brought in my Kelsey and Jim Bryson serves as the base.

Villafane is also an accomplished toy and sand sculptor, and the work on display at villafanestudios.com [http://villafanestudios.com/] is nothing short of amazing. But life-sized zombies busting out of an 1800 pound gourd? You just don't get any cooler than that.

Feb 9, 2011
That's amazing. The attention to detail is pretty insane. I wish I could see those in person, but New York is so far away. :/

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I had a similar idea for carving Pumpkins this year- though not to this scale (obviously). Now I'm almost ashamed to be compared to this masterpiece.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
It's official. Zombies are everywhere in modern culture. They've even invaded our PUMPKINS!

I think we've officially reached the threshold where we need to chill out with zombie modifications/adaptations.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Kimarous said:
It's official. Zombies are everywhere in modern culture. They've even invaded our PUMPKINS!

I think we've officially reached the threshold where we need to chill out with zombie modifications/adaptations.
As someone who is going to a zombie themed rock night on friday as a slightly more than disgruntled former umbrella corporation employee, I politely disagree.

That sculpture is damn near amazing. I predict it will be smashed at the heads within three days, because, y'know, aim for the head.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Ahh yes, one of the new special zombies for L4D3, I see valve has confirmed.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
well thats... creative, to say the least. Though when you said he sculpted it into zombies I thought you meant he kept them in shape and size and just carved the inside as zombies. so you could walk into the pumpkin and stand with them or osmething.

CombiBlood

Nov 18, 2009
Wow his stuff is still awesome check out a show called Halloween Wars on the food net work he went to the finals. (I won't tell if he won.)

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Now we know where zombies come from. Not some weird virus or infected bats biting infected condors that eat and thus infect dead people.

Nope. Zombies come from the bowels of overgrown fall melons. Crazy Carney Catastrophe!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Some joker pulled a similar trick with the pumpkin innards on my campus: he carved the pumpkin to make it look like it was throwing up, then strewed the innards on the bottom of the pumpkin's mouth and trailed it over the edge of the rock it was placed on. The effect was pretty damn interesting.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Cool pumpkin zombies! However I think this is way scarier!

Silence will fall when the pumpkin is carved!

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
Andy Chalk said:

The world's heaviest pumpkins are carved up for Halloween - into zombies!

True story: I was late for work a few weeks ago because I got stuck behind some guy hauling three giant pumpkins for display at the local fair. And it was okay, because when I finally made it to town I got to tell everyone that I saw not one, not two, but three giant pumpkins on the way in. Giant pumpkins are awesome, in other words. But they're even more awesome when they're carved up into zombies!

[gallery=525]

Pumpkin sculptor Ray Villafane turned two of the four mammoths on display at the New York Botanical Garden [http://www.nybg.org/plant-talk/2011/10/around-the-garden/zombies-in-the-garden/], including a world-record-setter, into a gorgeously creepy undead tableau for the coming All Hallows' Eve. The flesh [mmm, flesh] of Brant and Eleanor Bordsen's 1693 pound behemoth was used to create the zombies, while the 1818.5 pound monster brought in my Kelsey and Jim Bryson serves as the base.

Villafane is also an accomplished toy and sand sculptor, and the work on display at villafanestudios.com [http://villafanestudios.com/] is nothing short of amazing. But life-sized zombies busting out of an 1800 pound gourd? You just don't get any cooler than that.

That guy has got some pretty impressive talent.

TimeLord said:
Cool pumpkin zombies! However I think this is way scarier!

Silence will fall when the pumpkin is carved!
As a Doctor Who fan, awesome!