Computers Help Decode 250-Year-Old Cipher

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

Computer scientists, not cryptoanalysts, were the ones to crack the code of a 18th century German secret society.

The human mind has a fascination with codes and breaking them. When there exists a code that cannot be solved, though, that's even more mesmerizing. After the Cold War, officials found a book of seemingly incoherent symbols in the basement of the East Berlin Academy but no cryptoanalyst has been able to decipher the 105 page manuscript containing over 75,000 characters. Apart from a author's mark "Philipp 1866" and a word on the last page "Copiales 3", the beautifully bound book known as the "Copiale Cipher" was completely incomprehensible. But after feeding some of the symbols into algorithms similar to Google Translate, Kevin Knight from USC in cooperation with Beáta Megyesi and Christiane Schaefer of Uppsala University in Sweden were able to translate the document in its entirety.

[gallery=526]

The team first committed the 90 different handwritten characters into something that a computer could understand. Some of the symbols looked like Greek or Roman characters, and the team first isolated them to see if they contained the real message. After running those characters through a program searching for any meaningful groupings using more than 80 different languages, the team surmised that maybe those letters were mere red herrings.

Knight decided to concentrate on the other symbols and grouped similar-looking ones together, assuming that they might mean the same letter or phrase. When the group applied this thinking to the German language, some sentences could be read like "Ceremonies of Initiation" and "Secret Section". Knight and company ran the algorithms a bit more and realized that the Roman letters of "a," "b" and so on were not nulls, or meaningless, but they in fact denoted spaces in the German words. Armed with that knowledge, the team was able to complete the translation.

The book describes the initiation rituals of a secret society called the Oculist Order. To be honest, a lot of the text isn't terribly interesting but if you want to take a look, the manuscript is translated into English here. [http://stp.lingfil.uu.se/~bea/copiale/copiale-translation.txt]

Knight, Megyesi and Schaefer plan to use similar techniques to tackle some of the world's most well-known cryptography problems. The meaning of three notes sent by the FBI asked help with earlier this year [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac_Killer]?

Source: Paper on the Copiale Cipher [http://aclweb.org/anthology-new/W/W11/W11-1202.pdf]

the spud

May 2, 2011
Now see, I told you the Freemasons had something to do with this! I bet Nicholas Cage would be pissed if he new! Here, take this dagger and skullcap, you will be needing them soon.

*jumps out window*

Nabohs

Jan 18, 2011
That's actually really cool how they were able to do that, I can't wait to see how far they can take this code cracking

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
It's the illuminati!
The illuminati i tells ya!

But in all seriousness, this is a very awesome thing :)

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
This is... AWESOME!!
Truly hope they'll go for the Voynich Manuscript next, to be able to read a deciphered version of that would be wonderful!

Nailz

Jul 13, 2010
Love how most news I see has passed through reddit days before anywhere else.

You didn't even mention that the "occulist" society is all about eye surgery and stuff...
Better title "eye fetishist secret society revealed"

for real though, that's almost the most interesting thing about this.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
Call me when they finally decide if the voynich manuscript is legit or the oldest and most successful trolling-attempt in the history of mankind.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I love this kind of subject. Secret societies and cryptic codes, it's the kind of stuff that tantalizes we language-speaking species.

duchaked said:
lol and then they deciphered an ancient recipe book :d yum
I'm hoping for a perfect sourbraten recipe, myself.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I have always wondered about this. Since first learning of it's existence, and the subsequent confusion as to it's meaning, the idea that this could be a one of a kind manuscript in a completely unknown dialect or code fascinated me immensely. Figures it ends on an anticlimax, but it's fun to see how these things turn out anyway.

Now if they can only unlock the mystery of the Voynich Manuscript or the Baigong Pipes.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
GO UPPSALA! WOOOOOOOOO!

Er, I mean fascinating stuff that. Puzzles and whatnot. Ahem.

[sub][sup][sub][sup]Wooooo Uppsala! Woooo![/sup][/sub][/sup][/sub]

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
A secret document about a secret order decoded by someone called Knight? Assassin's Creed wasn't a myth!

Well, looks like we know of one possible location the next Assassin's Creed game may be based.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Greg Tito said:

Computer scientists, not cryptoanalysts, were the ones to crack the code of a 18th century German secret society.
Meh, just for the record, there isn't a massive amount of difference between the two. Computer science owes most of it's beginnings to two sources - one is of course Charles Babbage's 'Difference Engine', and the second is the work of Turing, Tutte and Flowers at Bletchley Park during WW2, particularly Flowers' 'Colossus' which was one of the first code-breaking computers, andit was their work which led to the formation of the entire field of computer science (Tutte became a computer scientist himself, and we all know about Turing's work on artificial intelligence and computer science...). Just saying xD.

Otherwise, this is pretty awesome. Here's hoping that these guys do manage to crack those Zodiac letters and Kryptos, because I am really interested to see just what the CIA are hiding on that sculpture. Well, the architect more so than the CIA, but still... :p

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
When I was reading this article, I was thinking of the first Artemis Fowl book where he uses his computer to decode the fairy language.