Documentary Reveals The Harsh World Of Competitive Quidditch

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Documentary Reveals The Harsh World Of Competitive Quidditch

While real-world Quidditch might lack the magic of its fictional inspiration, it makes up for it with determination, heart and just a smidgeon of violence.

In the Harry Potter universe, nothing summarizes wizard society's utter disregard for the well-being of their fellow man - both magical and non-magical - than Quidditch [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quidditch], the national sport. It's kind of like Polo for the suicidal. The game takes place fifty feet in the air, and, just in case gravity doesn't get you, there's a pair of enchanted iron balls flying around, intent on shattering any ribs they may come across. The sport is insanely dangerous and, during the course of the books, produces some horrific injuries. So, quite naturally, people are playing it for reals.

Established back in 2007 by a trio Middlebury College students, the International Quidditch Association [http://www.internationalquidditch.org/] has organized numerous friendly Quidditch matches and four world cups. The last Quidditch World Cup, held in November of last year, enticed over 10,000 spectators into New City's Dewitt Clinton Park to watch 750 players from 46 different colleges - including a team from the notoriously fancy-pants Johns Hopkins university - play the once fictional sport. It's also the subject of a documentary, quite charmingly titled "Brooms Up."

The event itself seems to inhabit the grey expanse halfway between Live Action Roleplaying and sport. The game rules are mostly faithful to those detailed in the books, albeit with a few concessions to the laws of physics and basic health and safety standards. Instead of flying, players run around with a broom - or in one case, a Swiffer-mop - between their legs and are penalized should they drop it. The bludgers aren't made of iron, nor do they fly around the field hunting players like terrifying spherical terminators. The game ending golden snitch is no longer a tiny winged ping pong ball, but an actual person dressed in yellow tights, tasked with evading other players at all costs and "by any means necessary." In a bizarrely quite touching segment Rainey Johnson, the original Snitch, discusses the cost of Snitchdom. "The Snitch is the inherent loser in Quidditch because the match is not over till the Snitch is caught," he says to a gaggle of potentials. "So we have a common bond in that. Everybody else has a potential to be a winner today and tomorrow, we are just here to please the crowd and to lose."

The documentary clocks in at about half an hour, and is certain to please Harry Potter fans and people-being-brutally-knocked-to-the-ground aficionados alike.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Quidditch is a REAL MANLY sport. None of this "football" business.

(P.S. Bitches love broomesticks)

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I get the appeal in turning fictional Quiddich into an actual sport, it works pretty well. I don't get why they force the players to straddle brooms though given that there is no purpose in that aside from looking ridiculous.

Trillovinum

Dec 15, 2010
And I thought 'I' was a nerd...

but hey, let them do whatever they want, It's their full right ;p

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Holy shit. I had no idea this existed, but damn do I want to play it. Though I doubt there are any teams in Israel...

Superior Mind said:
I get the appeal in turning fictional Quiddich into an actual sport, it works pretty well. I don't get why they force the players to straddle brooms though given that there is no purpose in that aside from looking ridiculous.
I'm guessing it makes it harder to avoid the bludgers and catch the snitch. It makes sense.

Alex Cowan

Feb 13, 2010
At my school, we decided that this form of Quiddich simply wasn't dangerous enough. Hence, we created the ungodly addiction that is BIKE QUIDDICH. So many crashes...

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
My IQ dropped just knowing this exists. I am a massive nerd and right now I'm supressing a feeling that's making me want to scream like Ogre from revenge of the Nerds.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Take out the stupid brooms and Harry Potter attire, and you've got a decent sport.

I always have a strong urge to punch people that dress in Harry Potter costumes.

Sep 14, 2009
eh...sad thing is i know one of the dudes in that video, he plays for the TUFTS team and takes it beyond serious...

it's a bit of fun, tried it myself once at our college "club", but nothing i'd consider being a full fledged sport.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Still a broken sport, unless the team completely outmatches it's opponent the only position worth note is the seeker.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Nice. Now, since this is a thing, can we finally promote Jugger to an acknowledged professional sport?

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Hey, I saw my alma mater in that video! I remember seeing them practice, but I always thought it was lame. I'm glad people have fun playing it though. I guess it's just a mostly harmless sport with a dollop of silliness for good measure. Wasn't there a story a while back where they were petitioning for NCAA representation? That might be putting the cart before the horse.