THQ Sues Activision Over Baja Box Art

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
THQ Sues Activision Over Baja Box Art

Baja Edge of Control [http://www.thq.com].

In a suit filed in the Central District of California, THQ claims to have unveiled the game box art for Baja Edge of Control in June 2008 and has since spent over $1 million in marketing, advertising and promoting the title, which was released for the PlayStation 3 [http://www.xbox.com] on September 22, 2008. Activision's competing game, SCORE International Baja 1000, is set for release today, October 28.

THQ says it contacted Activision in early October about the issue, and has since "written and spoken with Activision on several occasions in an attempt to convince Activision to stop production of its packaging art voluntarily, so as to avoid consumer confusion that could damage both parties, and has urged Activision to prepare alternative packaging art that can be pasted or otherwise affixed to Activision's exiting and infringing packaging artwork." However, the suit says, "Activision has refused to make any change to its packaging art for the Activision Game."

"If Activision releases the Activision Game to consumers with the packaging art depicted in Exhibit 1, THQ will suffer harm for which it has no adequate remedy at law, and which is irreparable if Activision is not enjoined from its impending release of the Activision Game," the suit says. "Activision's release of the Activision Game to consumers should, therefore, be enjoined." THQ is seeking either an injunction against Activision's use of the current game box art, or monetary damages.

The box covers in question can be seen at the top of this post, and there's no doubt they look mighty similar. On the other hand, this kind of bashin', crashin', hard-drivin' motif is fairly common in this particularly genre of game. What do you think? Sneaky rip-off or unlucky coincidence?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I'd think this is a ridiculous example of marketing design standards equaling an unfortunate coincidence if it wasn't for the colors. Given those, though... Yeah, I think they have a case, unlike so much else in this lawsuit-happy society.

EDIT: If anything else, Activision's marketing department should have been smart enough to change after doing some research, so that they would avoid this.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
HalfShadow post=7.75300.862881 said:
So in other words, a racing game's cover looks sort of like another racing game cover.

Duh...?
QFT

Seriously, I'm sure I can find 10 different examples of boxart that looks similar.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
But what is with the fact that they talked all the time to them abot that problem?

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
the_tramp post=7.75300.862896 said:
HalfShadow post=7.75300.862881 said:
So in other words, a racing game's cover looks sort of like another racing game cover.

Duh...?
QFT

Seriously, I'm sure I can find 10 different examples of boxart that looks similar.
The legal standard they have to achieve is if a reasonable, average gamer could potentially confuse the two games. The problem is that the copy-cat box is getting the benefit of the advertising, word of mouth, game reviews that the other game is receiving.

I doubt they intentionally copied it, but yeah it looks like Activision needs to at least change the name.

almo

Oct 27, 2008
Color/angle of the text, color/angle of red car combined with similar name means I think their complaint will succeed in court. Rightfully so, in my opinion.

Nov 28, 2007
almo said:
Color/angle of the text, color/angle of red car combined with similar name means I think their complaint will succeed in court. Rightfully so, in my opinion.
You forgot the mention the blue car's angle/airtime. In my eyes, just about the only difference is that one of them has a third car.

almo

Oct 27, 2008
thebobmaster said:
almo said:
You forgot the mention the blue car's angle/airtime. In my eyes, just about the only difference is that one of them has a third car.
Don't forget the red car has 6 lights in one, 5 in the other. :)

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
L.B. Jeffries post=7.75300.863106 said:
The legal standard they have to achieve is if a reasonable, average gamer could potentially confuse the two games. The problem is that the copy-cat box is getting the benefit of the advertising, word of mouth, game reviews that the other game is receiving.

I doubt they intentionally copied it, but yeah it looks like Activision needs to at least change the name.
actually if both are baja style racing games, they wouldn't have to

yes the covers look kinda alike, no way it could be confused tho

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
cleverlymadeup said:
L.B. Jeffries post=7.75300.863106 said:

actually if both are baja style racing games, they wouldn't have to

yes the covers look kinda alike, no way it could be confused tho
That's technically up to a jury if it gets that far. I mean cripes, they couldn't vary it up a little bit? Red truck bottom left, motorcycle above it and a blue truck upper right. The only way you could say "Hey, both Baja games, we ain't gotta change nothing" is if there was no other way to depict the subject matter except how it has been shown. That's hardly the case here.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
It does look a bit too similar, I mean they could have swapped the colours around or something, blue car at the front, red at the back, something as simple as that.