Anonymous Threatens Fox News Over Occupy Wall Street

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Anonymous Threatens Fox News Over Occupy Wall Street

The hacker collective wants to stop Fox from belittling the protesters of Occupy Wall Street.

Anonymous has thrown its weight behind virtually every cause the last few years. They have attacked Scientology for its so-called evil practices, they brought down Gene Simmons [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107699-Anonymous-Target-Planned-to-Take-Down-WikiLeaks] when he openly taunted them. Now, the group has released a video with a mechanized voice of a woman stating that they are in support of the ongoing protests in New York City and around the world. Anonymous believes that the pundits on Fox News have too often used libelous descriptions of the protesters to invalidate the protests, and the only recourse is to shut down the network's website. The attack is called "Operation: Fox Hunt."

"Fox is now the target of Anonymous because of their continued propaganda against the Occupations," the woman's voice says. "They use words such as filthy, disgusting and dirty to describe the protesters. Since they will not stop belittling the occupiers, we will simply shut them down."

The date chosen for this attack? November 5th, also known as Guy Fawkes Day. Fawkes tried to blow up the Parliament building in 1605 to place a Catholic monarch on the Throne of England, and his likeness was popularized by the film adaptation of Alan Moore's V for Vendetta. Anonymous adopted use of the Guy Fawkes mask to hide the identities of members when gathering in public - even though the proceeds from mask sales makes it way back to Hollywood [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112817-Anonymous-Unwittingly-Funds-Time-Warner], but that's besides the point - and Fawkes has become a kind of de facto symbol for the group.

"Anonymous will not only shut down Fox News," said Anonymous. "We will also engage in a propaganda campaign of our own, to show them how it feels to be chastised."

The hackers of Anonymous have succeeded in taking down websites periodically before, so it is possible that the Operation Fox Hunt may work ... at least until someone switches on a new server to deal with DDos attack.

Source: via Cnet [http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-20125628-83/anonymous-threatens-fox-news-web-site-over-occupy-coverage/?tag=mncol]

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Huh, these clowns are still around? Thought they got bored and went back to pokemon

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
Am I the only one who's grown weary of Anonymous as a whole? Ooooh, they're gonna shut your whatever down, sooooo scary, no one is safe, they're the defenders of free speech...

They're just a bunch of bored hackers. No matter the intentions, illegal is illegal. I'm sure if Dr. King could get people to do things the legal way, they can too.

God I hate Anon.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Assholes bullying assholes.

On the one hand, what Fox News does is wrong and ridiculously so.

On the other hand, what Anonymous does is wrong and ridiculously so.

Can I root for mutually assured destruction?

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
"Frank Miller's" V For Vendetta?

.........Really? Why don't you try looking that up again, Greg. Two seconds of internet research, Escapist. That's all I ask. Please give credit where credit is due.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AugustFall said:
Oh no! Not the Fox News website!

This is relevant: http://xkcd.com/932/
I missed that one. Awesome.

I love it when people think taking down a website is equivalent to hacking the Pentagon.

Jezzy54

Oct 19, 2008
drummond13 said:
"Frank Miller's" V For Vendetta?

.........Really? Why don't you try looking that up again, Greg. Two seconds of internet research, Escapist. That's all I ask. Please give credit where credit is due.
My thoughts exactly.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"Anonymous has thrown its weight behind virtually every cause the last few years."

For a given value of "virtually", yes.

Still, I have to hand it to them for really fucking the OWS people over. They aren't just protestors anymore, they are cyber-criminals.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
Is all Anon going to do is try to shut down Fox's website? If so, it's funny how powerless Anon really is.

Also, Alan Moore wrote V, not Miller.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
"We will also engage in a propaganda campaign of our own, to show them how it feels to be chastised."
I thought the internet did that enough on it's own already. Or are they not aware of all the people that already consider Fox to be an unreliable source of news that supposedly nothing more than a talking piece for Conservative propaganda and can only properly be referred to as "Faux News"?

[sarcasm]Bravo, Anonymous. Way to catch up with the times. *eyeroll*[/sarcasm]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I cant wait to see how this goes down, fox has deserved to be hit for awhile, altho freedom of speech means freedom for speech you hate also.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Anonymous: We don't like what you're saying so we're just going to hack your site like little girls having a slapfight.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Look at it this way, Fox. Now you have reason to start securing those servers in hopes of protecting them from Anonymous.

But wait, if you hire on new IT help, doesn't that make Anonymous a "job creator?" Or do you need to be one of those 1%'ers? I guess we'll find out.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
If Anonymous has the power to shut down Fox News, Why haven't they already done it?
Seriously, WHY?

And that pre-programmed voice completely undermines what little gravity the statement had.
because tho Fox news are generally assholes, they've never really given anonymous a specific reason to attack them

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
AugustFall said:
Oh no! Not the Fox News website!

This is relevant: http://xkcd.com/932/
I missed that one. Awesome.

I love it when people think taking down a website is equivalent to hacking the Pentagon.
well that depends on if the website is actually taken down, the only way that can truly happen is if the servers or whatever contains the actual information for the website are physically destroyed.