10 Years After Antitrust Suit, Microsoft Up to Old Tricks

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
10 Years After Antitrust Suit, Microsoft Up to Old Tricks

Microsoft's new OS won't let you uninstall the latest version of Internet Explorer.

In the late 90s, Microsoft was embroiled in a lawsuit brought forth by the United States Dept. of Justice that alleged the company knowingly crushed competing software companies by strong-arming its control of the OS market. Rival Netscape claimed it was unfair that Microsoft bundled its Internet Explorer with all Windows installations, preventing Netscape's own Navigator browser to gain market share. The judge eventually agreed with the claim and Microsoft was ordered to stop that practice as of 2001. Now that the ten year decree has expired, it seems Microsoft is once again marrying its new operating system Windows 8 with the new Internet Explorer 10.

The Windows 8 Developer Preview allows third party software makers to get a glimpse of what's to come, but some developers noticed that the "Metro" interface of the OS was tied very closely with Internet Explorer 10. Experimenting with the settings some more, they realized that it was not possible to remove the browser from the computer entirely, only switch it off like a service. But when they switched it back, they noticed all custom settings were intact, thus proving that IE was never truly removed from the system at all.

The big question is whether such a supposed breach in business etiquette - it's not technically illegal because the court order has lapsed - is even important. We're like two Internet "versions" past what was going on in the late 90s. Netscape is no longer a separate company; it is now owned by AOL. Apple makes computers, tablets and phones all of which require the use of its own operating system and software. Google was once a search engine company but now has its fingers in seemingly every pie in the technology bakery including its own browser (Chrome) and an OS based on that browser.

A decade is an epoch in Silicon Valley, and the decision of Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson in the United States v. Microsoft anti-trust case in 2001 just doesn't matter anymore. And when Windows 8 launches in a year or so, I will likely never click on that big blue "e" to open Explorer anyway. As long as it's not sucking resources, I don't really care what Microsoft does with its browser.

Source: CRN [http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/231901699/analysis-with-antitrust-decree-gone-microsoft-again-tying-browser-tightly-to-windows.htm?itc=refresh]

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
"And when Windows 8 launches in a year or so, I will likely never click on that big blue "e" to open Explorer anyway."

Apart from using it to download a different browser, the only thing it's good for.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
Eh, I'll just install Firefox on it and keep IE switched off. Makes no difference to me, really.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
There's plenty of crap on my pc that I don't use, IE included. What bothers me is how they think that making the desktop look like a phone will benefit anyone.

mcattack92

Feb 2, 2011
What would happen if you uninstalled IE and replaced it with another browser but that one became compromised or corrupted? How would you access the internet to download a new browser or search for a solution to that problem?

They would have it set up as a back up in-case something like that happened.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
What does 8 offer that 7 doesn't other than try and make my desktop look like an iPhone? (I'd use classic view to make it look like 7 anyway) Is there a new DirectX shipping with 8? Why on earth would I upgrade from 7?

Juion

Nov 7, 2006
This is pretty much how Windows already works. Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are more or less the same thing in Vista/7. This is not some big happening.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I deleted my shortcut to it, but i still have Internet Explore (not sure which one it is though).

besides, I use firefox anyway. the only time i ever get IE to pop up is when I click on an old image link and it shows up in IE but not firefox from the link int he doc.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
What I don't understand is why it was a problem that IE was pre-installed in the first place. If IE isn't installed, what are we going to use to surf the internet so we can download a better browser and never touch IE again? Seems like a stupid thing to sue over really, and a stupid thing to get upset about now. Thank you, Microsoft, for including Internet Explorer with Windows so I can promptly download a better browser without hassle.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
I find it useful at times, and if they could make it not hooked to bing so much I'd be happier as I just don't like bing, never seems to find what I want.

In any case, Microsoft is a good company, I trust it... not really for games but for making what they're good at.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
"Internet Explorer: Firefox has never downloaded so fast."

While this is a bit of a dick move, it doesn't bother me because I never use IE anyway.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
This is what I use Internet Explorer for: Downloading better browsers.
That's it. I just leave it there in case I run into the rare web site that doesn't load properly in Firefox, Safari (or whatever I decided to use this install).

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I can mark this off as ANOTHER reason not to update. Long live Win7 and long live Ubuntu!

verindae

May 22, 2010
Well to be honest I couldn't care less about this either, right up until the point where a link opened up in that god awful Metro version of IE. If they cut that shit out I'm good, been running 8 as a test like my main rig for a couple of weeks and I've probably been inside the Metro UI less than 10 times (barring the fact that it auto-loads when you boot up your machine). It's redundant and they really don't need to be forcing it on people who aren't using a phone or tablet.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This is one of those annoying but not deal breaking things since its already rather difficult to get rid of IE on windows xp-7, but that doesn't stop you from using another browser and ignoring IE.