New Kinect Desk Lets You Interact With Virtual Objects

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
New Kinect Desk Lets You Interact With Virtual Objects

A Microsoft development team has finally created the HoloDeck HoloDesk.

One of the biggest restraints of motion controls, gaming cameras, and augmented reality is that you have to enter another world to play with its contents. While it may be fun watching a video of ourselves karate chopping mini ninjas on the living room television, we're doing nothing more than kung-fuing the poor oxygen atoms surrounding us. It's high time we were able to pull that world out into our own, and kill mini ninjas on our terms. Thankfully, Microsoft is now one step closer to delivering on that dream.

The company's new HoloDesk is able to let its user interact with three-dimensional virtual objects, pushing, pulling, lifting, and flicking them around as if they were actually in front of you. Of course, the objects are massless, weightless ghosts of their real world counterparts, but come on people, we're talking holograms here.

The system is pretty simple, in so much as there's no quantum entanglement or voodoo devilry going on in one of the desk's bottom drawers. Basically, an overheard projector fires image data downward into your play zone, and a pane of half-silvered glass reflects it back at your peepers. All the while, a Kinect is tracking your physical movements with a webcam back-up aimed at your face, determining your positional data in real-time and filtering it through a custom algorithm to dictate reactions from the virtual object in response. See? Simple. Now you can go build one for yourself in the garage.

It seems like every time I turn around, someone has done something awesome [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112535-Kinect-Can-See-the-Future] with Microsoft's Kinect. And here I was thinking it was supposed to be used for gaming...

Source: Kurzweil A.I. [http://www.kurzweilai.net/microsoft-holodesk-lets-users-handle-virtual-3d-objects?utm_source=KurzweilAI+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=970f50b1ac-UA-946742-1&utm_medium=email]

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
It's truly amazing what can be done with the Kinect. One day we will have Minority Report computers and I will be able to die happy.

Still, with all this inovation it's curious how no one can make a half decent game for the Kinect, considering that's what it's supossed to actually do.

Drakey

May 17, 2008
I love the idea that its gamers and gaming gear that truly helps test, use and evolve these technologys. Its raw entry level tech like the Kinect that will one day inspire (like it hasnt happened already! lol ^) the smart folk of our world to make these things more accessible to people as a whole. Gaming gpus are used to crunch proteins, Kinect to move robots, and prevent holes from being punched through live flesh in surgery etc.

We are the test market, and having FUN doing it!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Ya... I saw this at a tech expo a couple of years back, only that one wasn't this laggy, any mention who they bought it from?

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
Today, we have the HoloDesk
Tomorrow, we'll have ARI from Heavy Rain

It's funny; Kinect seems to do everything except what it was built for.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Dutch 924 said:
It's funny; Kinect seems to do everything except what it was built for.
A few days later,someone will reverse engineer it to be a laser that cures all diseases...yet it still won't recognize your movements when you try to play Once Upon A Monster.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I really want something like this for my engineering. Being able to take a CAD file and make a pseudo-physical model of it to interact with would be awesome and would save me time waiting on the rapid prototyping machine.
Also, wasn't there a technology a while back that could use sound waves to project 3d shapes that we would be able to feel, the only problem being that we would be unable to see whatever it was. We need to take that tech and integrate it into this one.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
The kinect had a ton of potential with it's skeletal tracking system. They just chose not to implement it when they launched the peripheral because it wasn't necessary for the target demographic.

I still think that fixed systems like the kinect or this holodesk are way to clumsy to be of any use. HUD's are the way to go inmo.

Cpu 46, you can get pretty much the same functionality by having a wireless 3d mouse or pointer peripheral with a rearprojected image on a rather large pane of coated glass. Gives you a very crisp 3d image, needs no additional software and works with software like rhino or Catia. Unless you got actual weight behind it, i can't see too many cases in which I'ld needed to actually interact with a model before rp-ing it.