Drunken Condom-Flicking Mars U.K. Games Awards

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Drunken Condom-Flicking Mars U.K. Games Awards

Last night's U.K. Games Media Awards were sabotaged by flying condoms, drunkenness, physical and verbal intimidation and more - all thanks to the event's primary sponsor.

Ever heard of Grainger Games? Probably not; it's a small videogame retail chain in the U.K., but it doesn't seem to be particularly well-known even in its home country. Which is precisely why it chose to sponsor the Games Media Awards [http://www.gamesmediaawards.com] held last night in London: to raise its profile with the consuming public. And Grainger's profile is certainly much higher now than it was 24 hours ago, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

The GMAs started off with a simple ode to tastelessness in the form of a bright orange, Grainger-branded Hummer parked in front of the venue, with a pair of scantily-clad booth babes and a couple of dwarves hanging out around next to it. Once inside, guests found condoms, in similarly bright orange packages, scattered across their tables. And then things started to get ugly.

Gizmodo [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Davies] put it, were "pissed out of their heads." And while heckling a comedian isn't all that terribly unusual, the antics continued even as the awards were handed out.

"The awards were given out by the dwarves. Speeches were uncharacteristically short, for games journalists. This was their moment in the spotlight, but no one spoke for longer than 30 seconds," according to the report. "Perhaps it was something to do with the jokers from Grainger Games, who at one point had invaded the stage to do a silly 'dance' just as someone was receiving an award."

The intended highlight of the evening, a Games Media Legend Award for snorting cocaine [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/gma-2011-colin-campbell-named-games-media-legend/087025] in the bathroom.

Fun is fun and I'm all for a healthy dose of rowdyism, but by all reports this was an absolute train wreck. It was bad enough that Stuart Dinsey, the managing director of Intent Media, issued a statement "apologizing wholeheartedly" and banishing Grainger from future GMAs or other Intent Media events.

"Grainger approached us a few months ago and explained that their intention, through association with the GMAs, was to get closer to the games media. What they have done, in spectacular fashion, is alienate the entire games media in one night. Good work, guys," he wrote on MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/gma-grainger-games-a-statement-by-stuart-dinsey-md-intent-media/087034]. "Grainger Games' behaviour and attitude was the antithesis of what the GMAs are about. Next year we will give the event back to the media and work only with partners we know understand what the event is about."

Grainger eventually responded to the uproar with an apology that came off as a little less than heartfelt. "We wholeheartedly apologize if we offended anyone at last night's GMAs," the company said in a message posted on its website [http://www.graingergames.co.uk/default.asp?showpage=newsmain_article&item=146]. "It was never our intention to upset anybody. We sponsored the awards to show our support for everyone involved in games media and we continue to value and appreciate all their hard work and commitment."

The Games Media Awards, for the record, is a fairly serious and even prestigious event. Grainger was the primary sponsor, but other sponsors included Electronic Arts, Codemasters, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Nintendo, Konami and Gamecom. Up to 350 guests, including almost 200 members of the media, were slated to attend, while "a limited number of trade tickets" were available at £99 - that's 160 bucks - per person. That doesn't much like a condom-flicking shindig to me.

via: JamSponge [http://jamsponge.tumblr.com/post/11988359094/help-were-in-grainge-danger-thats-a-pun]

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Well, I didn't know who Greg Davies was either until I clicked his wikipedia page. I shall forever know him as "the guy who was in Inbetweeners" now. On topic, yeah... who the hell are Grainger Games and what do they even make? Oh, wait, they sell games? Well, still not heard of them until now.

red dragon 52

May 4, 2010
god i love that "we are sorry we offended you" line. Basically a polite way of saying "you guys are way to sensitive." Not really an apology.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
Never heard of Grainger Games, I suppose they got the high profile they wanted, not sure if I'll buy from them though.

Always a shame when people ruin an evening for other people. I would be pissed off if I was getting an award for something I worked hard for only for it to be tarnished by morons.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
What, they didn't even use the condoms before putting them in people's food? Amateurs.

If there's no semen involved, I don't want to know.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
BAAHAAAHAAAHAAAA! I can't believe that they could be so amazingly terrible. Even without their behaviour advertising a prestigious awards show with a Hummer and dwarves handing out awards along with branded condoms is the stupidest marketing move I have ever heard of. These guys should work for EA.

Granger games isn't all that big a chain, and while they DEFINITELY will get some attention from this I don't think it will do them any favours.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
And I thought the stunt that Kayne West pulled was bad enough but this is utterly shameful and disgraceful. I really hope that the head CEO owner fired them all the people involved in the award ceremony.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
And here I was thinking this kind of stuff only happens in B-rated movies with pretend potheads.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Whats the big deal? I thought booth babes snorting cocaine off a half naked dwarves in bright orange Hummers strewn with condoms was what gaming awards events were all about. /durr

Seems more like a publicity stunt more than anything. This company probably blew their next 10 years in marketing by hosting the event. So they likely wanted to make sure people noticed them.

Individuo

Oct 19, 2008
I would never call Greg Davies "Well-known". That would be like calling Brian Blessed "fairly attractive".

As for Grainger Games. There's one in Liverpool. I find it cheap, tacky and overpriced.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Grainger Games is the only game shop within 50 miles of where I live, I have had a pretty good service from them and there prices aren't bad so please don't think that they are a company of morons. But still this was a completely stupid thing to do and I hope these people were fired.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Grainger games originated from newcastle and i wasnt aware it had spread much out of the north of england at all.
But then theres a gamestation down the road from the newcastle one and that tends to be a better shop.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Wait, hold on a sec. This sounds like the party Michael Scott would throw if he ever had a budget for the Dundies. Nice job guys.

Klaflefalumpf

Oct 3, 2010
To follow on from Dickywebster, they get their name from Grainger Market in Newcastle (Upon Tyne, UK).

Back in the day they were a lot cheaper than the competition (mostly imported I believe) and to my young self were a Godsend as a result. Had a tendency to put stickers on the disc itself however, bad way to loose a console.

Don't even have the price advantage anymore really so I'm not sure what leg they're trying to stand on currently...

Oh and shouting "Toon Army"? Really? "Cini!" Would have been a better choice.

Adiona

Mistress of Evil
Mar 25, 2008
There is a Grainger Games in Huddersfield and they are fantastic every time I've gone in, the staff know their games and are alright to chat to. Sounds like a bunch of drunken idiots got a bit too carried away and they should be given a spanking and probably sacked for that. They are good for import games and yeah can be a bit over priced but if the service is good i don't mind paying a bit extra.