Queen of Blades Proves Too Lethal For The Office

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Queen of Blades Proves Too Lethal For The Office

The American Office nails its Halloween episode with a spot-on Sarah Kerrigan costume - on a dude.

Primetime American sitcoms have really amped up the geek references in recent years. Community's episode about a D&D session was pretty darn good. Big Bang Theory is basically one long slow nod to nerddom, while animated shows like The Simpsons and South Park have always used obscure sci-fi or gaming references. For a show about boring life in middle America, the writers of The Office are able to work in some great references, but other than odd salesmen Dwight Schrute claiming he plays Second Life all the time, pop-culture and internet memes have been more common than gaming or nerdy references - unless it's Harry Potter [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqIcjt5JNr0]. That is, until last night's Halloween episode when Dwight - played by Rainn Wilson - walked into the office dressed as Sarah Kerrigan, the Queen of Blades herself.

Actually, Dwight Schrute's Halloween costumes have always been hilariously awkward sendups of geek movies. One year, embarrassingly creepy [http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=I5DcufmGelM] as the Heath Ledger version of the Joker from The Dark Knight.

The show may have switched tracks with the departure of Steve Carrell as the boss, and it will never beat the British show for gleefully awkward moments, but The Office is still one of the funnier things on television right now.

Other than back episodes of Judge Judy, that is - what a crazy old coot she is!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Greg Tito said:
... he dressed as a Sith Lord [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=I5DcufmGelM] and said his costume was superior to rival Jim Halpert because the plastic lightsaber cost him $129. ...
Why does your harry potter link link to the same film as the sith lord one?

I dont enjoy Dwight as a character. not exactly sure why. though its always refreshing to see his nerdy references.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Never been giving American Office a chance. Loving the British series and not being a Steve Carell fan, in my mind, it represented what's wrong with american TV, but maybe I'm gonna give it a chance if I'm ever in need of a new sitcom

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
Best Kerrigan costume ever! I was never very fond of either versions of the office, but after this I might have to give it a go. Isn't that strange? Never bothered to watch the office until one of the characters dresses up as Kerrigan and all of a sudden I have an open mind about it. Ah the power of Starcraft.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Even tho I like Steve Carell, I don't like the Office, and in the same vein I like Ricky Gervais but hate the British original, and also Big Bang Theory. Why? I've never been able to figure it out (except BBT's freakin' laugh track). Might be because the Office's humor is just banal to me...
Either way, maybe they throw in geeky references now and again but it doesn't make me like the show anymore.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Ahahahahahahahaha... ahahahahaha. Aaahhh. Yes. And seeing them actually playing Starcraft II in the office was hilarious.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
There's someone in the background dressed as an Engie at 1:16 and 1:21!

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Varya said:
Never been giving American Office a chance. Loving the British series and not being a Steve Carell fan, in my mind, it represented what's wrong with american TV, but maybe I'm gonna give it a chance if I'm ever in need of a new sitcom
Steve Carell left at the end of Season 7, so if he bothers you that much, you could start with Season 8 that is running right now.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I wouldn't have guessed it without the wings, but with them it actually looks pretty sweet. Though I would imagine a Lurker costume would be a little complicated, and seeing a Lurker would mean it's not doing it's job right. Silly kid.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Hey, show's doing fine without Steve Carell (Michael Scott) and it's just as funny if not funnier to some measure. Ed Helms (Andy) is doing a damn fine job being the new regional manager.

The show has never been just about Carell IMHO, he played a GREAT character, but it wasn't what held the show together. Since about season 5/6 the show's done a fine job descending into a rather good sitcom in general.

I really hope it isn't going away anytime soon, I'd like to see a couple more seasons out of it.

...But if they get rid of TOO much of the main cast, I'll probably drop the show.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Thomas Guy said:
A pc game eh? No thanks. But I will read about it. To wikipedia with me.
Oh my those horrid pc games, I'd never soil my console hands on them....

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Thomas Guy said:
A pc game eh? No thanks. But I will read about it. To wikipedia with me.
Yeah, it's from 1998. Pretty new. Your computer might have trouble running it, since it's required specs are so high.