Nintendo Unveils Two Secret Characters for Mario Kart 7

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Nintendo Unveils Two Secret Characters for Mario Kart 7

An overweight bee and a flower-headed caterpillar have been confirmed as playable drivers in the upcoming installment of Nintendo's famous kart-racing franchise.

There are all manner of creatures in the Mushroom Kingdom -man-eating plants, pregnant squids, turtle monsters sporting healthy superiority complexes - but one set of critters has always been somewhat underrepresented: the bugs. Sure there were some armored beetles running around a cave or two in the earlier Mario titles, and no one is denying the small hoards of butterflies hovering about in the N64 version, but up until now, none of the arthropoda phylum have gotten much love in Nintendo's bevy of Mario spin-off titles. Well, all of that discrimination is finally changing as Nintendo is showing some love to our multi-footed friends by adding Wiggler and Honey Bee to the roster of Mario Kart 7.

Much like Super Smash Brothers, and pretty much any Mario sports title, the Mario Kart series has always allowed for a large set of playable characters from the series' expansive, well-known universe. The newest installment, slated to go on sale December 4th for the 3DS handheld, is no exception. Nintendo already confirmed Metal Mario and Lakitu as new additions (though I'm still not sure who'll be starting the race now), and adds Wiggler and Honey Bee with the promise of other unlockable drivers still to be announced.

Wiggler, the yellow stack of balls with a huge brown nose, has been staple Mario enemy since the days of Super Mario World. Best known for going from smiles to Hulk-rage in a matter of moments, Wiggler brings an interesting set of possibilities to Nintendo's racing franchise. Perhaps hitting her with a shell will turn her face that frightening shade of bright red and throw her into a maddening frenzy. Even if the effect was merely aesthetic, I still think it could work.

The other new contender is none other than Honey Bee, the gigantic, weight-challenged bumbler who first made an appearance in 2007's Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii. There's a bit of a size discrepancy for Miss Bee, as she was so large in Galaxy that Mario could scale her thorax like a big, squishy, mountain. Presumably, to make her fit, someone has hit her with a more permanent form of lightning bolt than the racers are used to.

Mario Kart 7 [http://www.amazon.com/Mario-Kart-7-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B0053BCO00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320002742&sr=8-1] will be available for the Nintendo 3DS on December 4th.

Source: IGN [http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1211094p1.html]

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Isn't the whole point of secrets, and hidden unlockables supposed to be, no one knows about them until after launch and someone spreads the word.

I swear the whole industry has become a bunch of 6 year olds giving out their first gift. They don't want to wait to give it to you, they want to blurt it out as soon as possible.

I really miss all the cool hidden things, I really do, but I like gaming news and it seems devs can't keep a lid on anything, let alone add in hidden stuff to find because everyone knows or can know every minute facet of a game just by skimming a few articles months before launch.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Damn, I was kind of hoping to see King K Rool in this one. Oh well, the king will return and his coming will be a day of glorious vengeance. Also still kind of scratching my head at Nintendo's decision to call the latest Mario Kart, Mario Kart 7 when there wasn't a 2 through 6. Doesn't the Big N give it's portable games funny little puns as subtitles? I'm still waiting for the day Mario Kart 3DS is revealed as; Mario Kart: Deeper Driving Dream Something

Can't wait to get my hands on this game, regardless.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
l3o2828 said:
People still buy Mario Kart?
If you look past the blue shell they are strong party racing games.

I'd be disappointed if they ever stopped making them, I buy every third one or so and tend to enjoy myself at least enough to justify the price of admission.

lasting_Child

Aug 31, 2008
XT inc said:
Isn't the whole point of secrets, and hidden unlockables supposed to be, no one knows about them until after launch and someone spreads the word.

I swear the whole industry has become a bunch of 6 year olds giving out their first gift. They don't want to wait to give it to you, they want to blurt it out as soon as possible.

I really miss all the cool hidden things, I really do, but I like gaming news and it seems devs can't keep a lid on anything, let alone add in hidden stuff to find because everyone knows or can know every minute facet of a game just by skimming a few articles months before launch.
How do you know there isn't more hidden stuff though and this is just a taste? You wouldn't know, because it's hidden, you'll just have to buy the game to find out if there's more hidden content, maybe it could surprise you.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Don't have a 3DS... but even if i did i've never been one for the handheld Mario Kart games.

Guess i'll have to wait for that UnKarted thing to hit stores >_>

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
It should have been Conker and Banjo.

And by that I mean, Nintendo should never have sold Rare.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Wow... Not gonna lie, I'm deffinately not gone to play those characters if I do get this game.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
So long as I get my Dry Bones, I don't really care who they add.
Still kinda odd they add these two instead of many other notable characters.
Why not add Bowser Jr.? Magikoopa? Kooper? Geno?
So long as Mario Kart doesn't turn into Nintendo Kart with Mario racing Pikachu and Ness, I am content.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
So... can goombas drive yet? It'd be great pay back for the goomba if he used the shrink lightening to finally flatten Mario after all those years of abuse.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
If this is the height of Nintendo's creativity, I fear for its future.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I'm more excited for Wiggler being a racer. As for the queen, I'm a little curious on why have her as a racer.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
bit_crusherrr said:
l3o2828 said:
People still buy Mario Kart?
I know right. Not enough brown, bloom and bloody screens.
you sir is an idiot for thinking that's the reason i made my comment.
All i think is that the Mario Kart and basically all Nintendo property has stopped evolution and not adding anything meaningful to games.
I'm not saying it should go brown, far from that, but it should atleast try to mix shit up.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
I've always liked the wigglers, so I'll likely end up playing as it.

We need a bit more from other closely linked franchises like Donkey Kong. K. Rool and Lanky Kong would be pretty sweet. Don't think I have forgotten you, Fawful.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
why? Why are we revealing secret characters? Shouldn't that be what gets us wanting to play the game? Shouldn't that be a surprise for those of us who decide to buy and play?
Why are we getting such crappy characters as well? The bee was in one game (to my knowledge) and the worm is just... well... a worm. King Boo made sense as he was the boss of Luigi's Mansion and Petey Piranha made sense because it was the first humanoid-piranha plant. But that's really where I draw the line because this is just ridiculous.