Skyrim's Art Style Embodies "Badass Vikings Vs. Conan"

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Skyrim's Art Style Embodies "Badass Vikings Vs. Conan"

Skyrim's artists have revealed their influences for evolving The Elder Scrolls' world past what they consider "generic" Oblivion.

In a recent podcast hosted on the Elder Scrolls official community site, Skyrim's art team have explained how, and why, they designed Skyrim as they did, citing Lord of the Rings, McFarlane's Conan, and the work of renowned fantasy artist Frank Frazetta as an early foundation. Apparently, the team was left to their own devices in architecting the universe long before the game drew focus.

"It was completely blue sky," said concept artist Adam Adamowicz. "Todd [Howard, executive director] said, 'Sit down and draw a bunch of cool, weird shit, and we'll look at it and decide what's worthwhile and what's really stupid.'"

"We want bad-ass Vikings versus Conan, classic Frank Frazetta," he was told, "and it's going to be set in Skyrim, and this is a place that's going to be a lot more brutal and gritty: draw a bunch of stuff."

So, sit down and draw a bunch of cool, weird shit, Adam did, some of which you can see in the video above that Bethesda released alongside the podcast.

"[At first, I pulled] a lot of Conan references, because there's a lot of different Conan art that I like," said Adamowicz, "One of our early influences that I did show them was the McFarlane Conan action figure set. If you look at the Conan series they did, there's a great vibe in that stuff."

[gallery=529]

Most of the team's effort was devoted to leaving the style of Oblivion, described by the game's lead artist as being too "generic." Living by the mantra of "less Renn-fest and more biker bar," they pulled heavily from McFarlane's work, dark fantasy art, and Bethesda film favorites, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, without giving in to the temptation of ripping them off entirely. In the end, 90% of the work was thrown in the trash, leaving only the best ideas to provide a visual blueprint for Skyrim.

As with all conceptual art, it was eventually handed to the level designers to create the physical, interactive world. Of course, not everything translates precisely from those first ideas, but without such a vibrant foundation, the programmers would never have been able to hem such a large, consistent world together so seamlessly. "There is so much more than what we drew that's just so amazing. It's like Christmas," said artist Adds Lederer. "It's so cool to see all of that stuff come together, and what's really amazing is just how much further they take it, and how much cooler it is."

You can check out the full podcast here. [http://www.elderscrolls.com/community/completely-blue-sky-concept-skyrim/]

Skyrim [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=skyrim&x=0&y=0] burns a $60 hole in your pocket on November 11th.

Source: Elderscrolls.com [http://www.elderscrolls.com/community/completely-blue-sky-concept-skyrim/]

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
He he! Why do dragon like its butt?

To get taste of bad khajiit out of its mouth! Hehehe!

OT: I love the art for Skyrim. When they tell artists to "go wild", they really come up with magnificent art. The armor is especially wonderful. I cant with to l00t it from some poor sap's home.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
I love this. It's like they took everything people disliked in Oblivion and addressed it, and it's really starting to show.

Potential for bugs breaking the game aside, I don't see how Skyrim could end up being bad at all now. So pumped for the 11th!

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
The music in the video was beautiful. I hope it's from the game.

Anyway, HOLY FUCK A MECH!

Mechs AND Dragons? I'm so glad I pre-ordered this.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Bah, nubs calling Dwemer centurions "mechs".

This has fueled my want of this game so much more. Counting down the seconds until the 11th. Even if I dislike the looks of the Dark Brotherhood outfit, and that weird flippy thing the Flame Atronach (?) did....

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I don't give a flying fuck about that art work.

But if that music is from the game? I may cry from sheer awesome.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Aaah, tasty stuff. I love that Dwemer automaton, but I hope there'll be some Sphere Centurions too. Those things were awesome in Morrowind.

Overall, the art design is far, far better. I'm getting none of the generic fantasy vibe that plagued the majority of Oblivion. So excited.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I'm loving the new art style (though the dark brotherhood armor looks a bit awkward), but the music in that video did not fit at all.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
So they've gone from generic medieval setting to generic viking setting?
It is a step forward in the right direction.

Which isn't much considering Oblivion was 20 steps back from Morrowind, as far as setting was concerned.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I can definitely see the influence from LOTR in there, looked like it played a large role in designing the cities. Overall, looking great, can't wait to play it.

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
DalekJaas said:
I can definitely see the influence from LOTR in there, looked like it played a large role in designing the cities. Overall, looking great, can't wait to play it.
Your right alhtough I see more Conan then LOTR which I prefer. Conan doesn't get much attention and its world is overlooked although it being very fleshed out.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I loved the concept art but when they started showing scenes from the actual game I had a slight moment of euphoria. Looking forwards to this SOOOOOO much. Might need to bring my Xbox 360 back to college with me or get/build an actual gaming computer to play it. 12 days!!!!!

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
Aha! I see now what they meant! This art design is much better than I feared it would be, and I am of course overjoyed to see the return of Dwemer golems. I'm feeling much better about this game, now. Not that I wasn't going to get it in the first place, but you know.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Western devs, stop being so manly. Bleh.

It feels like every Western, AAA dev is trying to tell me, "hey, you don't like manly? Go buy an Asian game".

I tell you what those, other than the Conan influence I'm none too happy about. I do like many of the things that seem to be an improvement about this game. Also, I love snow. Skyrim seems like a much more fun place than Cyrodil just because of that. Snow makes everything better.

And Skyrim should be covered in snow, snow, snow. I mean come on, it's north of Bruma.