Limbo Developer's Next Game Even "More Weird"

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Limbo Developer's Next Game Even "More Weird"

Indie developer Playdead drops the deets on its next title, and it looks like we're in for more color, more dimensions, and a whole lot more "crazy."

In 2006, Danish developer Playdead started working on a secret game project for the Xbox Live Arcade. At that point, the company didn't have to do much to keep information under wraps; after all, no one knew who the hell they were. Four years later, the company's first title, Limbo, hit the scene as the highlight of 2010's Xbox Live Summer of Arcade promotion and within only a month, over 300,000 copies were sold and the game had received more critical praise than most of its contemporary AAA titles. Now, things are a little different for Playdead. Everyone is waiting to see what it will produce next, but Dino Patti, the company's CEO, isn't going to tell his fans anything more than a few vague, but interesting, hints at what his second project entails.

"The next project is more crazy than Limbo," says Patti, "if you say that's crazy. It's more weird in many ways." He also mentioned that the game "looks crazy good," (the game is apparently very crazy) and it's "more 3D than you would think."

That being said, Patti isn't ready to say a whole heck of a lot more, and that includes the game's title. Playdead believes that when gamers know too much up front, they become exhausted waiting for a title's release. "Our production time is long, so we don't want to tire people out," Patti said. "I hate when the big publishers show something one or two years before the launch." (I think he's pointing at you, Blizzard.)

Even if we can't know the title or the premise, Patti did confirm a few more happy facts, including that the game will be in color (unlike Limbo's grayscale silhouette haze), single-player (at least "for now"), and that Playdead aims at a multiplatform launch (a big expansion from last year's Microsoft-focused release). That's quite a bit of information about a game that Playdead doesn't want to talk about, but hey, I'm not complaining.

Based on the success of its first outing, the company recently bought out its initial investors, meaning all of the restraints on its creative control have been lifted this time around. According to Patti, that means good things for his company's second at-bat. Still, as much as he doesn't want to frustrate gamers, he's also claimed the development cycle on this project will be three and a half years, and as of now, Playdead has only been working the new game for about a year. Ouch.

If you're a Limbo fan, it looks like there may be quite a bit to look forward to with Playdead's second title. Yet, as much as I prefer originality to franchise-milking, I remain slightly disappointed that for all this game is, it isn't a Limbo sequel. I applaud Patti and his team for cooking up something new, and I'm pretty sure that whatever gets released will be great, but still, it's hard to accept the fact that something that you love is over - sort of like that last episode of Firefly.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-28-playdeads-secret-project-two-is-more-weird-than-limbo]

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Awkward position they find themselves in, they've struck gold once, and are now expected to do it again. Doesn't usually work out that way, as a rule...but then, the game will sell because they can stick their name on it, if nothing else.

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Awkward position they find themselves in, they've struck gold once, and are now expected to do it again. Doesn't usually work out that way, as a rule...but then, the game will sell because they can stick their name on it, if nothing else.
How about it'll sell because there not trying to act like a puppy-farm and are actually having a long development cycle meaning time to actually work on it, and make sure it's what they believe it should be?

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Well, Limbo doesn't need a sequel at all. It's a story that repeats and repeats.

I have a feeling of deja vu from this.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
was happy when limbo came out on steam. i really like it and even my wife likes it. only she just cant solve some puzzle by her self. lol. the way she plays is even funnier.
i hope their next game will be as good as limbo or simply fun to play. as long it will come out for the pc of course.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Even if we can't know the title or the premise, Patti did confirm a few more happy facts, including that the game will be in color (unlike Limbo's grayscale silhouette haze), single-player (at least "for now"), and that Playdead aims at a multiplatform launch (a big expansion from last year's Microsoft-focused release). That's quite a bit of information about a game that Playdead doesn't want to talk about, but hey, I'm not complaining.
I'm pretty sure that you can say that about 99.9% of every game that's either on the market or going to be released. How in fuck's sake is that giving out "quite a bit of information"? A game that is single player with the possibility of multi mode and in color that is available on different platforms? Based on that information, I can say that they're developing HL2: Episode 3.

I applaud Playdead for not hyping up a game that is a good distance away from release. More studios should take note.

Also, what is the purpose of this article? To tell people that Playdead is not working on Limbo 2, or that they're not dead?

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
PeePantz said:
Mike Kayatta said:
I'm pretty sure that you can say that about 99.9% of every game that's either on the market or going to be released. How in fuck's sake is that giving out "quite a bit of information"? A game that is single player with the possibility of multi mode and in color that is available on different platforms? Based on that information, I can say that they're developing HL2: Episode 3.

I applaud Playdead for not hyping up a game that is a good distance away from release. More studios should take note.

Also, what is the purpose of this article? To tell people that Playdead is not working on Limbo 2, or that they're not dead?
Well, intrinsically speaking, it's not interesting that anything is in color or 3D, but in this case, the information is relevant relativistically to the one title Playdead has produced. Limbo is the only game we've seen from them, so it's hard to say exactly what we have in store next. From this interview we can glean much more about the game than we could before it, especially in comparison to the one title we can use as our expectations from the company. To some Limbo fans, that's interesting.