EA Says Not to Worry About Old Republic Shortages

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
EA Says Not to Worry About Old Republic Shortages

The Old Republic's publisher says that the game will have a wide reaching appeal.

EA might be carefully managing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112460-EA-Controlling-Old-Republic-Player-Population-for-Launch] the Star Wars: The Old Republic [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1320061913&sr=1-1] launch, but it says that it has taken steps to ensure that Star Wars fans aren't disappointed by a lack of copies of the game over the holidays. EA's Frank Gibeau says that the publisher's launch plan is ambitious and that he doesn't think that too many people will have to wait.

"We don't feel like we're going to be leaving too much demand behind at launch but we definitely are going to be very cautious and thoughtful about how many people we bring on and in what order," he said. "It's a very interesting proposition from that standpoint because you have the Star Wars brand that draws in a lot of people. That is a good thing because we think we can sustain the business over a very long time as we grow. There's going to continually be new customer segments that we can open up and bring into the service."

Gibeau said that EA was using The Old Republic's beta to see what how many people the game will be able to handle at launch, and that the pre-order campaign was designed with those limits in mind. Back in August, EA also said that there would be a finite number of copies of the game available online, so not to overload the servers at launch.

Star Wars: The Old Republic comes out for PC on December 20th.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-downplays-old-republic-shortage-fears/087052]

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
"We don't feel like we're going to be leaving too much demand behind at launch... well, except for all the Australians and New Zealanders, but screw them."

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Well, my pre-orders been in for a while so as long as my copy appears through my letterbox i'll be a happy little bunny.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Sentox6 said:
"We don't feel like we're going to be leaving too much demand behind at launch... well, except for all the Australians and New Zealanders, but screw them."
Pretty much this. No-one cares about us down here... Eh, actually some of those British do. That's why they're sending me a nice new copy of this game for <$50. Now lets just hope I can get a reasonable server connection...

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Joccaren said:
Sentox6 said:
Pretty much this. No-one cares about us down here... Eh, actually some of those British do. That's why they're sending me a nice new copy of this game for <$50. Now lets just hope I can get a reasonable server connection...
"Sorry, the game you've bought is region-locked. Please contact your retailer".

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Joccaren said:
Sentox6 said:
Don't worry my southern hemisphere brothers, we'll send you some game relief aid <3

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
You know EA, this wouldn't be an issue if you were releasing it over Steam...

Note: If EA are releasing it over Steam and I am merely behind on information then please declare this post invalid.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sentox6 said:
I don't think that's true.

...It implies the publishers are aware Australia and New Zealand exist.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TimeLord said:
You know EA, this wouldn't be an issue if you were releasing it over Steam...

Note: If EA are releasing it over Steam and I am merely behind on information then please declare this post invalid.
Of course, one of the reasons they're limiting the numbers at launch is so as to not overload the servers, so the reason isn't a true lack of availability that would be rectified by Steam. they'd probably limit the activation codes if it was/is on Steam.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Robert Ewing said:
Joccaren said:
Sentox6 said:
Don't worry my southern hemisphere brothers, we'll send you some game relief aid <3
Time to load out the C-130!

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Art Axiv said:
Joccaren said:
Sentox6 said:
"Sorry, the game you've bought is region-locked. Please contact your retailer".
Last I'd heard they weren't going to do region locking, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Robert Ewing said:
Joccaren said:
Sentox6 said:
<3

Alphonse_Lamperouge

Oct 19, 2011
hahaha thats pretty funny.

but we will see who is laughing when the secret mutant kangaroo/koala army we have been breeding is finally let loose upon the world.

wont be such a ''G'day'' then, will it, mate?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Sentox6 said:
And a decent part of Europe actually.

Zachary Amaranth said:
How are they going to manage "in what order?"
By not publishing the game worldwide to start with - They're only launching in NA and parts of Europe. Ambitious is an... interesting choice of words >.>

Simon Pettersson

Apr 4, 2010
Alphonse_Lamperouge said:
hahaha thats pretty funny.

but we will see who is laughing when the secret mutant kangaroo/koala army we have been breeding is finally let loose upon the world.

wont be such a ''G'day'' then, will it, mate?
Well it´s not that much of a secret now is it?

OT: I have preordered it so I hope I will get it :)

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
EA marketing exec A: "How can we get gamers to buy more copies of our game before we release it?"

Exec B: (Takes massive hit of crack) "cough! cough! Uh....... we could pretend they've sold out like gangbusters and tell people not to panic there will be enough for everyone. Of course they will panic because gaming news websites post any old shit we say with zero editorial"

Exec A: "Genius! The dull fuckers will eat that shit up like nude DLC! Now where is Dr. Mabuse with the latest reports?"

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Joccaren said:
Sentox6 said:
The second it launches, we'll send down a fleet packed with copies. We must prevent this terrible game drought our American "friends" have brought upon you.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
What they're actually saying is: "Don't worry about SWToR shortages. It's not like a lot of people will be playing it when it first comes out."