New Skyward Sword Trailer Shows Origin of the Master Sword

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Skyward Sword Trailer Shows Origin of the Master Sword

Link plays meet and greet in this new Skyward Sword trailer, while his sword gets the ultimate upgrade.

We all knew that the "Goddess Sword" wielded by Link in Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword [http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Skyward-Sword-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSC54I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320065979&sr=8-1] would eventually become the Master Sword that appears in A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and more games besides, but in its infnite wisdom, Nintendo has decided to share that fateful moment with the entire internet as part of a new trailer.

The "Origins" trailer - as it's called - also shows snippets of the game's 100 minutes or so of cinematics [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113046-Nintendo-Cramming-100-Minutes-of-Cutscenes-Into-Skyward-Sword], as well as a few snatches of gameplay. There are lots of shots of Link meeting people - or at least people-esque creatures - and one particulartly dramatic scene where a mysterious Sheikah woman stops the evil Lord Ghirahim in his tracks with a huge magical barrier.

I've said it before - and at the rate Nintendo is going, I'll likely say it again - but it feels like Nintendo is tripping over itself to stuff spoilers into its marketing for Skyward Sword. Obviously you can't completely avoid them - it's rather tricky to make a trailer without spoiling something - but it really does feel like we've seen more of the game than we really need to by this point.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword comes out for the Wii on November 20th

Source: GameTrailers [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-origins-zelda-skyward/723205]

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
The pain in the arse thing about Skyward Sword is that theres only 3 days between this and AC: Revelations!!!!!

I absolutely hate decisions.........I'll either have to trade something or just cut back on a few days food.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
It may be a spoiler, but it's not really that big of one. I mean, we still have no context for the scene and specific circumstances, so I don't really feel like anything was spoiled at all.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Yeah i don't really see those as spoilers, just some awesome stuff to look forward too....

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
DJDarque said:
It may be a spoiler, but it's not really that big of one. I mean, we still have no context for the scene and specific circumstances, so I don't really feel like anything was spoiled at all.
This.

Also, this may end up being my favorite Zelda game. I feel shitty saying that, as I've said that about every Zelda game to come out on a console since Wind Waker.

... Wait, that's just two, and I was right about Wind Waker for a while...

Fuck it, nevermind, I'm ok with saying it. And after seeing some dialogue from Ghirahim or whatever his name is, I no longer fear that they added a lame villain. He's fucking insane.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Kind of like The Elder Scrolls.

...my God. I just compared Skyward Sword to The Elder Scrolls. The TES fanboys are going to lynch me for that.

RUN AWAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!
KILL THE HERETIC!

I kid. Seriously, though, it looks like a fun game, but all the action I've seen makes it seem like combat is going to be slower, and therefore less intense, than Ocarina, Majora, or Twilight Princess. Not going to pick this one up as a launch-day title either way...gonna be adventuring in Skyrim.

bomblord

Mar 16, 2011
The part with girahim trying to attack zelda gave me chills. It looks like this game is going to be very plot heavy and at the same time way more open.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Was that a windfish at 57 seconds O.O

I really really can not wait to play this one. From the looks of it, I might like it even more then my current fav zelda(Link to the past).

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
All I can really say is 'Goddamn, that game looks pretty'.

Sure, it's on the Wii, and doesn't have all teh super-advanced hardcore graphix like other games out there, but the colours and art-direction are absolute eye candy.

As for spoilers... meh. It's Zelda. Unless Nintendo has worked really, really hard to make the game subvert the plot trends of the previous games, I don't think SkySword is going to bowl people over with it's unforseeable twists and turns. Zelda's never really been about the story anyway. It's always been more focused on the puzzles, fighting, gadgets, and generally making you feel like an adventurer in a fantastical land. Kind of like The Elder Scrolls.

...my God. I just compared Skyward Sword to The Elder Scrolls. The TES fanboys are going to lynch me for that.

RUN AWAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!
Sounds like a grand meal... Elder Scrolls and Legend of Zelda....

Looked pretty cool...wish I had a Wii....better get one soon if I want it to play GC games!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hasn't the hype machine pretty much got to the point where they need to use spoilers?

Well, not for Zelda. They could not hype the next Zelda game and release it in a plain brown wrapper and still sell like hotcakes.

But in general?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I broke my promise for stop watching anymore Skyward Sword (they're releasing far too many videos) but videos this is something I just had to watch. It look like those upgrading the shield will come in many forms).

Necabo

Jul 11, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:

Sure, it's on the Wii, and doesn't have all teh super-advanced hardcore graphix like other games out there, but the colours and art-direction are absolute eye candy.

As for spoilers... meh. It's Zelda. Unless Nintendo has worked really, really hard to make the game subvert the plot trends of the previous games, I don't think SkySword is going to bowl people over with it's unforseeable twists and turns. Zelda's never really been about the story anyway. It's always been more focused on the puzzles, fighting, gadgets, and generally making you feel like an adventurer in a fantastical land. Kind of like The Elder Scrolls.

RUN AWAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!
This why i'll be playing them both. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Honestly I was thinking the opposite. The colours are good, I'll give, but it just looks like something a PS2 would run. Gameplay over graphics any day, but they could've put a little more into Textures and lighting, especially in that first part.

I've never liked using the Wii, so I probably won't be getting this. Tis a shame it couldn't be on PC or DS too, I have been waiting for another Zelda game...

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:

RUN AWAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!
Stop right there! Criminal scum!

As for Zelda. Loving it. I've always hoped for some game to actually go into HOW the sword was made not just saying "Oh it was made and put here, go and get it now."

Still loving the Aesthetic too can't wait for this game.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
i cant help but wondering if Nintendo is so willing to take us to the begining of all these game franchises, will sometime in the near future (like in 5-10 years) they be taking us to the end. I wonder also if they will give us the one thing we have been wanting to know for years in this game: Is link constantly reincarnated or are they all only his descendants with the same name and are stuck doing this like the belmonts in castlevania?

LJJ1991

May 6, 2011
Alright, I love Zelda, I really REALLY do. And honestly, I haven't really minded the trailers and spoilers as of yet, but this... This is over the top... WHY, NINTENDO?! WHY?!?!?!?!?!

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
wooty said:
The pain in the arse thing about Skyward Sword is that theres only 3 days between this and AC: Revelations!!!!!

I absolutely hate decisions.........I'll either have to trade something or just cut back on a few days food.
Who needs food? You can stay alive on fun alone!

Sep 14, 2009
Qitz said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:

RUN AWAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!
Stop right there! Criminal scum!

As for Zelda. Loving it. I've always hoped for some game to actually go into HOW the sword was made not just saying "Oh it was made and put here, go and get it now."

Still loving the Aesthetic too can't wait for this game.
hahaha nice. this made me actually chuckle.

OT: God i am tempted to get this game..looks like a great amount of fun, but so many other games i want more than this are coming out, skyward sword will have to wait until late 2012 =\

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
WHat! they actually confirmed that the master sword would be in a zelda game!
how dare they do that! how dare they....