New Syndicate Trailer Shows Off Co-Op Gameplay

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Syndicate Trailer Shows Off Co-Op Gameplay

The new Syndicate four-player co-op trailer is full of bullet-flying, neck-snapping fun, but it may not be quite as old-time Syndicate-ish as you hoped.

I think it's fair to say that feelings are mixed at this point about EA's upcoming looks cool [http://www.amazon.com/Syndicate-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SX2MK/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320177224&sr=8-1], but I can't deny that what we've seen so far has a bit of a generic feel to it. There's plenty of action and it's easy on the eyes, but that's not enough to really set a game apart from the crowd these days.

But EA also said that the game would support four-player co-op action, with nine missions from the original game "re-imagined" for the new one. The implication that the gameplay might be more Syndicate [http://www.amazon.com/Syndicate-Plus-pc/dp/B000FEWSTW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1320177224&sr=8-4]-like as well seems to be a faint hope, however, as this trailer looks pretty much like the first one, except with four guys shooting the place up instead of just one. Then again, "four guys shooting the place up" is a pretty accurate description of original Syndicate gameplay when I'm behind the CEO's desk.

A new Syndicate remix is up for grabs as well, this one a very danceable beat from Digitalism that's available on the Syndicate Facebook [http://www.facebook.com/Syndicate] page. Syndicate is slated for release on February 21, 2012, for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Still skeptical, but I'm still keeping an eye on this.

Edit: anyone else think EA will attempt a force use of Origin with this title?

Zachery Gaskins

Mar 29, 2011
No worries. Paradox Interactive (the guys behind the RTS game Magicka) are doing their tru-er tribute to the classic Syndicate with a game in development called "Cartel". It's pretty much the old Syndicate game with new polish and new types of gameplay, but using the tried-and-true isometric RTS game style. Based on what they've done in that realm with Magicka, I'm looking forward to it.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
I love how they write "infiltrate" and then show four dudes slowly walking in the middle of the day murdering other dudes with machine guns and flamethrowers.

Hey, at least it looks like fun.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Wasn't the Syndicate a cartoony spy action RPG? It now looks like some weird mix of Human Revolution and Battlefield :/

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Packie_J said:
I love how they write "infiltrate" and then show four dudes slowly walking in the middle of the day murdering other dudes with machine guns and flamethrowers.

Hey, at least it looks like fun.
MY KINDA STEALTHY!

Hmm...Im interested at the part of "Four Player Co-Op"

Never played the original...so..I cant judge really kinda reminds me of Brink tho

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
looks cool, but i think old school fans need to remember that starbreeze is makeing this game and they are a great developer so it might not be like the old one at least it will good.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
So ANOTHER Modern Borefare clone? How dreadfully exciting...
If anything, this strikes me as EA trying to re-tool one of their old properties to try and ride on the success of Human Revolution.

EA: "What the deuce? That Human Revolution title everyone was worried about looks like it's going to sell a truckload after all. Underling!!"

Underling: "You called, sire?"

EA: "We need to get in on this! What properties do we own that we can market to the Deus Ex fanboys?"

Underling: "Well, we already have Mass Effect. That seems to be going down well with the sci-fi RPG crowd..."

EA: "Bah! That's for the Star Trek fans! We need a shooter with evil corporations and nods to Blade Runner in order to snag in all those cyberpunk fanboys.*thinks* What about that Synergy game? We own that, don't we?"

Underling: "Syndicate, sire. We shut down Bullfrog Productions ourselves once we got it. But sire is aware that Syndicate is a tactical strategy game, not a shooter? I don't see how we can market a strategy game to fans of first-person shoo-"

EA: "So, we take this Syndicote game, take out the tactics and strategy, give it lots of guns and shootery action instead, bolt some online multiplayer in there to keep the suckers hooked, and BAM! We'll have stolen all of Eidos' Deus Ex fanboys by tea-time."

Underling: "*Sigh* Very good m'lord. Do you want your canapes served with roasted puppies or shredded kitten?"

...that's exactly how that meeting went down. In my mind.
Sir, I've been told we can improve on Deus Ex: HR by making the game "less yellow."

Excellent! Switch the color pallets and rename a few characters and reship it under a new name.

Uh... the guys in archives apparently have dug up a game by the name of Syndicate that was kind of like Deus Ex.

Great, we can call it a reboot and save millions on consumer testing the title.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
The Gentleman said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
So ANOTHER Modern Borefare clone? How dreadfully exciting...
If anything, this strikes me as EA trying to re-tool one of their old properties to try and ride on the success of Human Revolution.

EA: "What the deuce? That Human Revolution title everyone was worried about looks like it's going to sell a truckload after all. Underling!!"

Underling: "You called, sire?"

EA: "We need to get in on this! What properties do we own that we can market to the Deus Ex fanboys?"

Underling: "Well, we already have Mass Effect. That seems to be going down well with the sci-fi RPG crowd..."

EA: "Bah! That's for the Star Trek fans! We need a shooter with evil corporations and nods to Blade Runner in order to snag in all those cyberpunk fanboys.*thinks* What about that Synergy game? We own that, don't we?"

Underling: "Syndicate, sire. We shut down Bullfrog Productions ourselves once we got it. But sire is aware that Syndicate is a tactical strategy game, not a shooter? I don't see how we can market a strategy game to fans of first-person shoo-"

EA: "So, we take this Syndicote game, take out the tactics and strategy, give it lots of guns and shootery action instead, bolt some online multiplayer in there to keep the suckers hooked, and BAM! We'll have stolen all of Eidos' Deus Ex fanboys by tea-time."

Underling: "*Sigh* Very good m'lord. Do you want your canapes served with roasted puppies or shredded kitten?"

...that's exactly how that meeting went down. In my mind.
Sir, I've been told we can improve on Deus Ex: HR by making the game "less yellow."

Excellent! Switch the color pallets and rename a few characters and reship it under a new name.

Uh... the guys in archives apparently have dug up a game by the name of Syndicate that was kind of like Deus Ex.

Great, we can call it a reboot and save millions on consumer testing the title.
and then, next year, a "Beneath a Steel Sky" FPS is released

danyy2009

Dec 6, 2010
I like how its a 4 player co-op trailer, but in the same time shows non of the things you can do together beside shooting ppl, with if not the text, could be just plain npc's.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Great, but I don't have 4 friends to play this with. And I'm kinda full up on mindless shooters at the moment. Maybe I'll be more open to this kind of game once Skyrim wears out its welcome.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
This game is an outright insult to fans of the origional Syndicate games. I'm not even remotely interested in this crap.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Wasn't the Syndicate a cartoony spy action RPG? It now looks like some weird mix of Human Revolution and Battlefield :/
No, it was an early RTS/tactical combat/massacre sim. Maybe you're thinking of The Third Courier?

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
No, it was an early RTS/tactical combat/massacre sim. Maybe you're thinking of The Third Courier?
I figured it out, I was thinking of The Agency.