NASA Begins Tractor Beam Research

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
NASA Begins Tractor Beam Research

The space agency has opened itself up to an eternity of Star Trek references.

Though they aren't being designed with the pulling of spacecraft in mind, NASA has announced its intention to explore three different kinds of tractor beam tech over the next few years. The project, led by people with a variety of extremely impressive-sounding job titles, aims to build beams capable of capturing small space-particles for research via laser beams.

Funded by the NASA Office of the Chief Techonologist and led by the Principal Investigator, the research team will investigate three different tractor beams with an aim to employing at least one of them in the collection of particles in space. The goal is to build a machine capable of transporting and collecting particles via laser beam. Since this is fairly new science, the team will test three different methods before selecting the most efficient. Detailed descriptions of the three methods (including words like "solanoid," "optical vortex," and here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108257-Researchers-Working-On-New-Tractor-Beam-Method].

"Though a mainstay in science fiction, and Star Trek in particular, laser-based trapping isn't fanciful or beyond current technological know-how," said Principal Investigator Paul Stysley. "The original thought was that we could use tractor beams for cleaning up orbital debris, but to pull something that huge would be almost impossible -- at least now," he continued.

His colleague Barry Coyle added: "We want to make sure we thoroughly understand these methods. We have hope that one of these will work for our purposes. We're at the starting gate on this. This is a new application that no one has claimed yet."

It's exciting to think about what discoveries may lie ahead of this team as they head deeper into the practical applications of tractor beams. While it would be silly to start suggesting spaceships out loud, small-scale tractor beams could find many uses in space outwith the realm of particle collection (the poor astronaut who set that inordinately expensive tool bag adrift [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7737250.stm] in the cosmos a few years ago could probably help think of a few). There are also terrestrial applications to consider, such as whether any of these beams could pull my phone across the room towards me or not. Whether or not any of us will be alive to see the day these things happen remains to be seen, but at least we get to tell people we were there when it started, right?

Source: John the Gamer [http://www.nasa.gov/topics/technology/features/tractor-beam.html]!)

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
You know NASA, if you want to eventually create Tractor Beam technology that could eventually pull things in space. You need to be in space first ;)

Also, I'm really no scientist, but I thought Tractor Beam technology only worked because space has hilariously tiny resistance and this it would be easy to pull something through it. Creating the same idea on Earth would create something different to counter physical resistance.

the spud

May 2, 2011
It's about time we started this kind of thing, I've been waiting for this. To bad the U.N. put that ban on lasers that blind people, cause if it hadn't we would be in the full fledged future!

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
In my mind a tractor beam is still a beam that fires actually tractors, which makes this story 100 times more interesting in my eyes. This is pretty damn cool though, i'm not sure what having a tractor beam would actually accomplish in this time period though. It's not like we have a great need to be able to pull things through space with a beam.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
"Captain, I have detected a small anomaly off the port bow..

..The scanners have picked up a large quantity of awesome particles within it."

/obligatory Star Trek reference

I like this NASA, though they will only be awesome once they have figured out how to recreate a functioning Enterprise (of any era). Only then..

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
..but why? I seriously doubt the trillion dollar, over-sized, probably extremely fragile tractor beam projector will work any more efficiently than a chain with a hook at the end.
/Killjoy

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TimeLord said:
You know NASA, if you want to eventually create Tractor Beam technology that could eventually pull things in space. You need to be in space first ;)
Thankfully, that;ll never happen, since America hates science.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
gabe12301 said:
..but why? I seriously doubt the trillion dollar, over-sized, probably extremely fragile tractor beam projector will work any more efficiently than a chain with a hook at the end.
/Killjoy
Would have to be a pretty nifty chain and hook to pick up individual particles.

Original Topic: Cool! So, any word on when full-size tractor beams will be possible?

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
if the scale of it could be ramped up, i could see this having many possible applications such as a replacement for cranes, provided it could both push and pull...maybe a big switch which reverses it, that you could place a cube on top of.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
TimeLord said:
This. I laughed my head off.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Hrmm..I used to think tractor beams were cool, but I've gone off them since the LHC.

Guess I'm an ex-tractor fan.
Aaaaand you're out!

OT: Seems pretty cool.