Gecko Feet Inspire Massively Reusable Adhesive

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Gecko Feet Inspire Massively Reusable Adhesive

Taking a cue from Ma Nature, scientists have unveiled a new adhesive tape that is both surprisingly strong and can be reused thousands of times.

If there are two things a gecko does incredibly well, it's "offer cut-rate deals on auto insurance" and "stick to things it has no business sticking to." Have you ever seen one of those things in the wild? There is no way a lizard should be able to sprint across a ceiling, and yet these lil' green fellas spend hours clinging to anything and everything in a cruel reptilian mockery of Isaac Newton.

Dark magic? According to the universal wet blanket that is science, no. The gecko gets its physics-defying climbing skills from the millions of tiny hairs covering its feet. Dubbed "setae," these hairs -- or, specifically, the molecules within them -- are attracted to the molecules in whatever the gecko touches. Normally this attraction is rather weak, but since the gecko has so many setae and the hairs are designed to splay out on contact (massively increasing the foot's total surface area) the force of attraction becomes more than enough to support the lizard's body weight.

Seeing this phenomenon, a group of researchers at the University of Kiel crafted a flat silicone tape likewise covered in millions of setae. The result is an adhesive that is twice as strong as standard Scotch tape, that can be reused thousands of times, leaves no residue and even functions underwater.

Need proof of this new tape's powers? That image embedded above is of one of the researchers hanging, one-handed, from the ceiling, secured only by the adhesive powers of the new invention.

Given their success, the research team is now looking into swiping more design ideas from the natural world. Beetle wing coverings and snakeskin have been mentioned specifically by the team, though how exactly they hope to adapt those structures to useful items remains to be seen.

And by "remains to be seen," I mean "let's speculate wildly." The best I can come up with is "horrifying Serpentor cosplay [https://www.google.com/search?q=serpentor&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=xiW&sa=X&pwst=1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=wz24TuqGDsGZiQKq4rmgAg&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1188&bih=686]," so hopefully you all can do better.

Source: Gizmag [http://www.gizmag.com/bioinspired-adhesive-tape-kiel/20406/]

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I would like to infiltrate a skyrise, Mission Impossible-style, with this invention.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I'm just curious as to how it is reusable... I mean, how do you remove it if it has such AWESOME holding power?

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
Alar said:
I'm just curious as to how it is reusable... I mean, how do you remove it if it has such AWESOME holding power?
This has been in the works for a while. From what I remember from a previous article. It can easily be removed by pealing it at an angle. the gecko lifts his foot by rolling his foot pads, allowing the hairs to disconnect a few at a time. so unless the tape is under tension at a sharp angle, it will hold.

EDIT: could the people that made this send a roll to the Mythbusters for application testing, it would make for a killer episode. =D I would like a roll or two myself.

EDIT 2: here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWH624jPW0w&feature=relmfu

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Beetle Wing coverings: I believe there could be some kind of insulation purpose for that one, maybe.
Snake Skin: Artificial skin?

Regarding tape: Duct tape has met its match.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Alar said:
Essentially you have to peel it from a corner. By doing so you are only applying tension to a few of the setae, which are rather weak by themselves. When you try to pull on all of them at once (see picture) it will hold, if you just pull on a couple at a time it will come off.

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
this isnt my name said:
*begins wrapping lots of tape around his feet and begins to walk on the ceiling*
Are you gonna be a ninja or spider man?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guessing having wall crawling power will soon be a thing of reality.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
So, I can be Spider Man now, right? Get some gloves and shoes with this on 'em and carry around some Silly String. I could totally pull it off.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Not exactly news, really. People have been working on materials like this for years, and the hitch hasn't been in making them, but rather in mass producing them. Unless these guys have come up with a way around the production problem, there's sadly not much to see here.

gusenborge

Nov 6, 2011
When this come's out on the market im gonna be afraid too sleep with any friends around..

The possibility of waking up hanging from the ceiling is scary.