Name Game: If Ya Like it

saregos

the undying
Jul 7, 2009
I think the original "justification" for this was that having multiple magic items in close proximity could foul them up.

The balance perspective is that otherwise you have 10+ rings and an arbitrary number of amulets (as depending on the size of the ring, you could wear multiple per finger) which would be impossible to balance w/o just saying "rings do nothing".

Dec 14, 2009
I think it's mostly a balance issue.

You can either have two rings that have decent buffs/abilities, or you can have 10 shitty rings that make up two decent buffs/abilities.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I always assumed that multiple rings on the same hand would interfere with each other too much, hence the 2 ring limit. A similar question might also apply to amulets/necklaces (why only 1) when it shouldn't be too hard to wear more than one. Again, I apply the same explanation. Also, any explanation will do if it prevents every adventurer from looking like a blinged out pimp...

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Oh, that face in the last panel PRICELESS!

As for why, they always explain because the magic in each ring interferes with each other. Bullshit! Tell that to the MANDARIN!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jandau said:
I always assumed that multiple rings on the same hand would interfere with each other too much, hence the 2 ring limit.
This was the D&D explanation at one point (Not sure if it still is). Considering the number of influences D&D had, I wouldn't be surprised if people just ran with that explanation for their games.

Of course, behind the GM's screen, it's solely a balance issue.

I've always wondered why rings get singled out, though. Amulets and other neck slot items can fit a lot on one body part, many of the headgear pieces should not be mutually exclusive, and I don't know about you, but I'd wear two cloaks if I could get benefit from it. >.>

And, since I couldn't help but think of the Konks:

Feb 13, 2008
Jokaero Digital Weapons [http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Digital_weapon#.TrvyMVbJeAo] 5 to a hand.

That's the thing. Each ring is not per finger, but per hand. It's only the pointy finger that carries one as that's usually how it activates.

It's why Spidey always runs out of web-fluid...I think?

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Jandau said:
I always assumed that multiple rings on the same hand would interfere with each other too much, hence the 2 ring limit.
This was the D&D explanation at one point (Not sure if it still is). Considering the number of influences D&D had, I wouldn't be surprised if people just ran with that explanation for their games.

Of course, behind the GM's screen, it's solely a balance issue.

I've always wondered why rings get singled out, though. Amulets and other neck slot items can fit a lot on one body part, many of the headgear pieces should not be mutually exclusive, and I don't know about you, but I'd wear two cloaks if I could get benefit from it. >.>
There's a feat that lets you increase the number of magic items you get the benefit of, per type of magic item. So you could wear 3 rings 2 amulets 2 cloaks.

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
I don't have much experience, but wouldn't fill your hand with rings make it hard to grab the sword correctly?

Also, loved that expression XD

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
fanklok said:
There's a feat that lets you increase the number of magic items you get the benefit of, per type of magic item. So you could wear 3 rings 2 amulets 2 cloaks.
Which edition? There have been like 12 now, including the revisions, .5s, etc.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Pikeperch said:
You can only wear rings on your ring fingers, duh.
+1 Logic

OT: Well as has been mentioned it's probably just due to different flavors of magic not mixing too well.

Then again in Dark Souls they probably just didn't want you to get strong enough to easily take down any kind of enemy.

I did quite like the ring finger explenation though. Makes me imagine that the magic living inside the rings doesn't want to work until you place them properly.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Jandau said:
[...] Also, any explanation will do if it prevents every adventurer from looking like a blinged out pimp...
That was the most sensible explanation thus far. Although "Pimp my Paladin" would be quite popular once in a while...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Well if I remember from DnD, magic items don't like sharing room with other magic items. Especially jewelry.

That's why you use magical weapons against magical armor. Also, Ice Resist ring and Fire Resist ring next to each other will amount to a one dead guy who was smashed into small bits. Same reason why you can't wear magical tunic, magical leather armor AND magical plate armor. Or a magical hood under a magical helmet.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
fanklok said:
Which edition? There have been like 12 now, including the revisions, .5s, etc.
3.5 though I have no idea which book, I happened across it one day.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
When I raised an issue of this with my GM many years ago. He said I could, if I didn't mind having my hands blown off by the mingling powers of many rings on one hand. So, probably balance issues.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I like the Warhammer explanation of how Magic Items work. Basically a person can only have one magic item of a given type (Weapon, Armor, Talisman, Arcane, etc), having more than one of a certain type will inevitably cause the head of the bearer to explode in a spectacular and gory fashion.