Bookies Call It For Modern Warfare 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bookies Call It For Modern Warfare 3

Modern Warfare 3 has already been declared the Game of the Year by the only people who really matter - the bookies.

Activision's Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320785844&sr=8-1] came out today and while it might seem a bit premature to declare it "game over," that's exactly what Irish bookmaker Paddy Power is doing. The game has sold about a half a gajillion copies, give or take a bazillion or so, and that's enough for the bookie to stick a fork in its 2011 "Christmas Number One Videogame" betting.

"At odds of 1/16 this contest is well and truly over," Paddy Power's Ken Robertson told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/325456/bookies-crown-activision-winner-in-christmas-fps-war/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]. "On its day of release we are happy to crown Call of Duty: MW3 this year's undisputed champion."

Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia predicted Modern Warfare 3 will move between 5.5 and six million copies in its first 24 hours of launch and post a ten percent unit sales increase over last year's Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320785954&sr=8-1], and ring up almost 18 million unit sales in the December quarter alone.

Other games [http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/novelty-bets/christmas-specials/Christmas%2dNumber%2d1%2dVideo%2dGame-3019554.html?force_racing_css=N] in the running include FIFA 12 at 6/1 [this is the U.K., remember], Gears of War 3 at 10/1, and the real long shots, Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 at 33/1 and Mario Kart 7 at 40/1. Not that any of them had a chance; the last time the Call of Duty series failed to take the top spot was in 2008, when World at War was edged out by FIFA 09.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Hell. No. Skyrim is going to get it.

While not a bad game COD is like Madden. Skyrim is something new and unique that looks far more polished.

GOTY is more than sales figures.

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Not really surprised. Feeling pretty indifferent actually--but I'm personally gonna say MW3 is game of the year in terms of sales--not necessarily in terms of quality or enjoyment. Buuuut oh well, we'll see what happens. SR3 has yet to be released.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
I want to know how is this news? I mean the person doesn't give any realistic number instead said gaijillion copies. Just because game sells well doesn't make it the game of the year. Remember AOL and how it was a terrible online service but it had the most subscribers?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
The only news to me in this article is the fact GOTY apparently gets decided by sales figures alone.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Are they just ignoring Skyrim? The game that probably just as built up in the community as COD is for everyone else?

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
OK.... I mean no shit, does the person really think that sales numbers reflect any amount of quality? Transformers 2 was the highest grossing movie of 2009, therefore it's the best movie of 2009? When did GOTY turn into the Grammies?

I continue to wait for Skyrim. Come on Thursday night!

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
I think, and this is my opinion, that Call of Duty will be Game of the Year only due to sales because it seems to appeal to more people. Skyrim will have the most originality and Saint's Row 3 will be the most fun in terms of silliness.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
CoD is like the Angry Birds of video games. (I mean actual video games)

Uninspired with self-perpetuating popularity.

Seriously, the sales figures make me feel like barfing.....you think I'm exaggerating but I'm not.

Y don't all of these people go pick up the Orange Box instead?

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
ooooooo, look at those numbers.... I'm still giving my 60 dollars to Skyrim.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Just goes to.show that all that matters is money money money and not quality.

Game of the year, no.
Game of the week, yes.

scarecrow350

Apr 4, 2010
This is why i dislike COD, it uses the same formulae each and every time (the last good/original one was COD 4 in my opinion) and each time only add one or two new aspects. Then they sweep the awards ceremony over hard polished games like skyrim or deus ex HR just because every stupid comsumer and their cat bought a copy
RIDICULOUS

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Its going to win just because of the sheer amount of money they dumped into it, marketing, and LIES.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
And they are most probably right...
People complaining about BUT IT'S NOT A GOOD GAME!!!111!!1 are just wrong.
Taste in video-games differs from person to person, whereas sales figuires are pure fact.