BioWare Details Mass Effect Multiplayer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Details Mass Effect Multiplayer

An interview with Mass Effect 3 Producer Jesse Houston reveals a whole heap of information about the multiplayer side of the upcoming sci-fi epic.

Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Collectors-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYZS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320790814&sr=8-1] is bringing a serious change to Commander Shepard's Intergalactic Party Bus: multiplayer! Saving the galaxy will no longer have to be a solo endeavor; this time around you'll be able to team up with friends and family to put the boots to the Reaper horde. But how is BioWare going to turn a single-player game into a multiplayer experience without making a mess of it all?

Decisions made in the first two Mass Effect games will have an effect on the Galaxy At War system, Houston explained in a recent interview, but not directly on the Galactic Readiness level. [If you're not clear on what "galaxy at war" and "galactic readiness" mean, a bit more insight is available here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113587-BioWare-Finally-Confirms-and-Details-Mass-Effect-3-Multiplayer].] But while BioWare Edmonton General Manager Aaryn Flynn said in October that gamers can stick to the single-player game and not miss out, Houston suggested otherwise.

"Multiplayer will definitely have an effect on your single-player experience through the Galaxy at War system, so as you play the MP and the co-op and the more successful you are, the more that will affect your Galactic Readiness level which will then affect your end game result," he said.

At the same time, Houston emphasized that gamers who stick to single-player will still be able to get the "absolute best ending" and that multiplayer is intended strictly to offer up new ways to get there. "We don't want to create situations where MP players have something that SP players couldn't otherwise see," he said.

Other tidbits of note: a system to deal with griefers will be in place, there will be leaderboards and squad banter, friendly fire won't be an option at launch but could be added later and there will be "a lot of BioWare Social Network integration," although the details on that are still being worked out. The PC version of the game will require a one-time online activation but can be played offline thereafter, and no local co-op through split-screen or LAN support will be offered but, like friendly fire, could possibly be added in the future.

The Mass Effect 3 [http://blog.bioware.com/2011/11/04/my-interview-with-mass-effect-3-producer-jesse-houston/] comes out on March 6, 2012, for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
...The more I hear about Mass Effect 3, the less I like it.

"Guys, let's staple a mandatory multiplayer to a single-player campaign in a single-player franchise. The fans will love that!"

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
UltimatheChosen said:

"Guys, let's staple a mandatory multiplayer to a single-player campaign in a single-player franchise. The fans will love that!"
Ripped from site.

[blockquote]If it?s a separate story campaign, are our multiplayer characters playing their part in dialogue scenes or is it more of an environmental storytelling?
While it is separate to the main story they will never be involved in the actual campaign of the main story. It?s more like a side mission to the SP. We don?t want to create situations where MP players have something that SP players couldn?t otherwise see.[/blockquote]

[blockquote]How do SP and MP work together/complement each other?
They complement each other really well in that the Galaxy at War System takes the actions played in MP and pushes them to your SP achievements. The SP elements will dovetail really nicely into those and both those actions will allow your Shepard to have a different ending depending on those actions. That said, SP can still be played all by itself without any kind of multiplayer or third party and you can still get the absolute best ending. This just gives you new options to be able to get that ending.[/blockquote]

It's STILL not completely mandatory dude. Just chill the fuck out. :p

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
UltimatheChosen said:

It's been acknowledged that MP will be in ME3 for quite a while, I'm afraid your arbitrary comment is a bit late, sorry.

OT: "Details" is a strong word here, it's fairly.... non-informative. Anything that isn't vague has been mentioned before.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Houston suggested otherwise.
No. He didn't. They announced this fact eons ago- multiplayer will affect Galactic Readiness. We know this. I don't know why you think that means you will miss out on anything with single player.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
UltimatheChosen said:

Did you read the article at all?

Andy Chalk said:
At the same time, Houston emphasized that gamers who stick to single-player will still be able to get the "absolute best ending" and that multiplayer is intended strictly to offer up new ways to get there. "We don't want to create situations where MP players have something that SP players couldn't otherwise see," he said.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
UltimatheChosen said:

They just said it is completely optional to play multiplayer, and there is no content that is multiplayer exclusive. Troll much?

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
don't judge me, because i probably won't get it (damn you origin!), but i've always wanted to see a large scale game with a parallel sequel that fleshes out the story more, co-op especially. i might just brave origin to get it. (or just send ea a $60 check and pirate the cracked version)

EDIT: although for this to work in a way that feels necessary, it must:
a, affect the story in a MAJOR way, not the cop-out bioware's currently pulling
b, have good characterization and development, which this probably won't have.
oh well, there's always jade empire 2

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
BioWare Social Network integration

Because that was such a huge selling point of starcraft 2, and not a complete waste of time and space. And I was just starting to mellow out about this game.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Bandit said:
I don't know why you think that means you will miss out on anything with single player.
Jesse Houston said:
Multiplayer will definitely have an effect on your SP experience through the Galaxy at War system, so as you play the MP and the Co-Op and the more successful you are, the more that will affect your Galactic Readiness level which will then affect your end game result.
I don't know what will or won't happen but the way I read it, this is definitely a mixed message. "Multiplayer will definitely have an effect on your SP experience" doesn't seem all that terribly ambiguous to me.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
This can't possibly alienate people in any way shape or form.

*Clap Clap*

I'll still get it though. This sort of thing actually sounds like my bag. As long as the story is still great, I'll muddle through whatever crap Bioware slings my way gameplay wise.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Vey cool, very cool indeed. Though, the interview was rather vague on any concrete information; I have to say, I'm rather excited for this.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
The Bandit said:
I don't know why you think that means you will miss out on anything with single player.
Jesse Houston said:
Multiplayer will definitely have an effect on your SP experience through the Galaxy at War system, so as you play the MP and the Co-Op and the more successful you are, the more that will affect your Galactic Readiness level which will then affect your end game result.
I don't know what will or won't happen but the way I read it, this is definitely a mixed message. "Multiplayer will definitely have an effect on your SP experience" doesn't seem all that terribly ambiguous to me.
I think he's referring to the whole galaxy at war thing.

If you play multi-player you get points which improve your ending, thus impacting single-player.

But multi-player is not the only way to get these points, thus if you don't play multi-player your single-player is not necessarily impacted; As you can still achieve these points through other means.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
They can do whatever the please without making me foam at the mouth provided it doesn't mess with my single player game.

That said... why is it suddenly the thing to blur the lines between single player games and MMOs? I like variety, it's the spice of life and all, but that means we have to let things be different in the first place - not make everything merge into an omni-format, which I consider "multi-player" to be, if only in the prototype form.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Hagi said:
Andy Chalk said:
The Bandit said:
Jesse Houston said:
I think he's referring to the whole galaxy at war thing.

If you play multi-player you get points which improve your ending, thus impacting single-player.

But multi-player is not the only way to get these points, thus if you don't play multi-player your single-player is not necessarily impacted; As you can still achieve these points through other means.
That's the same thing I'm pulling from this.

Heck, he even says in the interview:
"SP can still be played all by itself without any kind of multiplayer or third party and you can still get the absolute best ending. This just gives you new options to be able to get that ending".

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
No LAN support at launch makes me a sad panda... but the possibility of a patch for it gives me a small glimmer of hope. I do love me a good co-op campaign.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I feel myself slowly losing interest. I'll replay the first two, maybe that'll respark the fire.

MirkoP

Nov 9, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
At the same time, Houston emphasized that gamers who stick to single-player will still be able to get the "absolute best ending" and that multiplayer is intended strictly to offer up new ways to get there.
So my guess...MP offers new storyline options,missions differ a bit and generally you get something single players don't...but Houston continues to make this point...

Andy Chalk said:
"We don't want to create situations where MP players have something that SP players couldn't otherwise see," he said.
Am I really the only one who noticed this bulls-it? And yes,I do understand we get the same ending,I just felt a need to point this out ><

But anyway,I firmly believe that anyone who loved ME1/2 will at least attempt to play the 3rd installment even if they crapped all over it. So,we'll see.It definitely sounds...interesting.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The Bandit said:
Jesse Houston said:
There's a huge difference between having an effect and being an integral part of the experience.

It's not hard to figure out what "Galactic Readiness" will be- some measures that have to be completed in order to start the final act of the game. The multiplayer will clearly speed up this process but- because it won't cause you to miss any contact- you will have a choice of when you start the final act. Like in the first game, but unlike the second.

Even if I'm wrong about this, I still don't see any ambiguity. They're just very different things.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
As much as they might deny it, having MP takes away from SP. And in 3 months, it will go the way of Bioshock 2's MP. So, no, I still don't like it and probably won't preorder, as much as I love ME. I'm worried the game's gonna turn into a 20 hour SP game. For it to properly cover all of ME2/1's plot points, it needs to be 30+ hours, like ME2 sans DLC.