Papercraft Wizard Builds Man-Sized Gundam

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Papercraft Wizard Builds Man-Sized Gundam

[vimeo=31684656]

Taras Lesko is really, really good at folding paper. Proof: A 7-foot-tall Gundam constructed entirely from former trees.

Quick, what's the coolest thing you've ever made from paper? An airplane? A crane? One of those finger games that predicts who you're going to marry and whether or not you'll live in an oversized shoe?

Taras Lesko totally has you beat.

That video embedded at right details Lesko's recently-unveiled Gundam RX-178 replica. Forgoing traditional, sane building materials, Lesko built the entire thing out of folded paper. Sure, he had the assistance of computerized design programs, and presumably he has a frankly ridiculous amount of free time, but that's still a testament both to the industrial capabilities of wood pulp and the inventive spirit of one creative geek.

If it seems like hyper-elaborate papercraft structures are a growing trend among the creative set, you aren't hallucinating. As we detailed last month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9182-The-Rise-of-the-Disposable-Designer-Toy], paper is quickly becoming the medium of choice for many artists owing both to the ubiquity of building materials and the 'net's ability to give any creator a platform on which to display his or her magnum opus.

At the same time, the prevelance 'net culture (and the modern human compulsion to click through vast swaths of information in an unending hunt for momentary novelty) can help inspire those of us whose previous experience with papercraft begins and ends with construction paper and a dull pair of Fiskars. Lesko's work certainly makes us all seem lazy and untalented by comparison, but it should also push you to strive for loftier heights of human achievement. If one man can build a robot like this, you can absolutely eat that entire pizza in one sitting.

Now go get 'em tiger!

Source: Albotas [http://albotas.com/post/12564179865/its-a-gundam-you-may-scoff-at-the-mention-of?e6086428]

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i feel like if i had all that gear i could probably do that too... then again, the ABILITY TO USE THAT GEAR, is a whole different story...

as for suggestions, how about Alduin the world eater! (yes, i'm hyped for skyrim)

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
That's pretty damn awesome I must say, as a fan of scale models of all kinds.

Would have liked to have seen some close ups of the finished product though, instead of just seeing it loom threateningly in the background.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
beat me to the punch. darn it. well at least this give me more inspiration to finish my wing zero custom papercraft armor

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
So this is Greg Tito's next project then? :>

OT: That is awesome....I wish I was handy at all when it came to paper. xD

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
On one hand, Papercraft is cool and every so often there's an article about something awesome someone made. But on the other hand, a few drops of water (or beer, or watever) and it's pretty much ruined...

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
He BURNT the previous model? What the hell! I would have totally forked out some money for that!