U.S. Senate Rejects Appeal Against Net Neutrality

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
U.S. Senate Rejects Appeal Against Net Neutrality

The Senate has rejected the Republicans' final appeal against new net neutrality rules.

In a victory for fans of new net neutrality rules [http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-net-neutrality.htm] from being written into law on November 21. The resolution passed the House in April and would have stopped the FCC from regulating net neutrality on the grounds that doing so would hamper job creation and competition.

The vote ran straight along party lines, with only Senators John McCain (R-Ariz) and Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii) abstaining. The resolution was rejected by 52-46.

Although the vote held more symbolic power than anything else (President Obama had promised to veto the motion if it passed the Senate), net neutrality advocates are pleased that their rules have been re-ratified at this late stage. In a statement, the FCC said, "Today's vote is a win for consumers and businesses. Since its adoption in 2010, the Commission's open Internet framework has brought certainty and predictability, stimulating increased innovation and investment across the broadband economy, including in mobile networks and apps."

Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts was a little more enthusiastic. He praised how the Senate "refused to hand over the internet to a small group of corporate interests," adding that "we need to keep up the fight because we know this isn't the last we've heard of the assault on net neutrality."

It goes without saying that this is good news for American internet users. The idea that your internet service provider could be paid to direct you towards and away from content of your own choosing is simultaneously frightening and disappointing. The internet is supposed to be a place for free enterprise and the free exchange of ideas, for cat videos and Flash animations of nostalgic pop songs from the mid-90's. What would it become if this freedom was dampened? As far as I'm concerned, my ISP has no right to make "Cat Video A" (or, y'know, less vital content) stream slowly while speeding up an alternative, and I'm glad that the U.S. Senate agrees.

Source: Reuters [http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/10/idUS211494328220111110]

Sep 14, 2009

awwww yeah

and john mccain? i is surprise.

thank the maker this didn't pass. another reason to remind myself why i am not republican.

Feb 13, 2008

Even for the rest of us Non-Americans, this is great news. Overturning in American means it doesn't have a footwork in more conservative places like...Australia.

They really don't need another limiting factor in their games playing.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I'm glad McCain abstained, I dont know the other guy very well (being a brit) but its a nice suprise to see not all Republicans are fuckwits all the time.

Apr 28, 2008
AWWWW YEAH!

Glad to see that some of our Government still has their wits about them.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I'm glad this didn't pass. The last thing I need is a war I actually might feel like fighting for.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
John Kerry was enthusiastic? How could they tell?
He cracked a smile.

No, really, when he smiles his face cracks.

Still disappointing this went to party lines, but I'm not surprised anymore.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Quellist said:
I'm glad McCain abstained, I dont know the other guy very well (being a brit) but its a nice suprise to see not all Republicans are fuckwits all the time.
Most are quite level headed much like most democrat congressmen/women are quite level headed. Both sides, however, have their "special" members who make their bread and butter by turning the democratic process into a damned circus. Fortunately the level-headed ones sit quietly in the back making sure the "special" ones don't fuck things up.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Obviously we should be communists, as there are no corperations, so there is always net neutrality!

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
Quellist said:
McCain is actually a really moderate level headed conservative much closer to the political global center than most American politicians. Too bad he had to go all "Maverick! Crazy Sauce!" on us in the primary to win the election bid. That and the crazy woman.

Oh and an obligatory. Har Har he abstained because he's still using dial-up. har har

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Net Neutrality is just another tool of control, in another sense. Basically in essence the gov't can override your personal preferences and force you to see content you don't wish to or ban access to content you do wish to see. The internet is the one place left where we do still have total freedom of speech and Net Neutrality can be abused to strangle that, and if you don't think the US Government won't abuse that power, I have some nice Arizona beachfront property I'd like to sell you...
All content on the web is absolutely available to those who want to view it as it stands now.
The major problem I have with this "bill" is that its way too broad in its scope and can (and most likely) will be used not in our best interests.
Please people, take off the rose-colored glasses for a moment, realize that the liberal parts of government are just as much politicians as the conservatives, have their own agendas, and are just as afraid of people having opposite opinions as the other side. Censorship will be the rule, not the exception in the end.
I may not agree with people like the WBC, but they still have the right to voice their opinions without someone regulating how it is said and this bill will give the government broad powers over things like that... mark my words.
The best type of government is one that rules with a gentle hand, not an iron fist and this folks is an iron fist.

EDIT: Net Neutrality is the interweb version of "everyone gets a trophy" philosophy. Competition breeds innovation, when you take away the ideal of competition you lose the innovation and everything becomes stagnant. Thus why communism fails in the end because no one really has any real incentive to work hard. Why excel at something when doing the bare minimum gets you the same result?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
gmaverick019 said:

awwww yeah

and john mccain? i is surprise.

thank the maker this didn't pass. another reason to remind myself why i am not republican.
o.o

I'm sorry that pic just killed the entire thread for me, I'm not sure if that's awesome or sad