Skyrim DLC Coming to 360 First

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Skyrim DLC Coming to 360 First

Microsoft has announced that the first two DLC releases for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be timed exclusives on the Xbox 360.

There's all sorts of not so much [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Xbox-360/dp/B004HYK956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321043578&sr=8-1]. Where this one falls depends entirely on how you feel about such things and, I suppose, whether or not you're using an Xbox 360 to play the game. Because if you are, you're going to get a month-long leg up on the rest of the world.

"When the last dragon has been slayed and the last book opened, Xbox Live will be your destination for exclusive access to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim add-on content," Microsoft said in a statement. "30 days before you find it anywhere else, the first two content drops for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be available exclusively on Xbox Live."

I've always thought that timed-exclusive DLC was pointless and silly, and although that might sound like sour grapes - as a PC guy, no matter who wins, I lose - in this case it seems especially so. Skyrim is enormous; the main quest is estimated at about 30 hours, there's a couple hundred more hours in additional content and Todd Howard recently talked about the game's procedural generation system [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114126-Skyrim-Is-a-Neverending-Story] that allows for virtually infinite gameplay. With a game that big, a 30-day window of exclusivity seems almost completely irrelevant.

You may now commence arguing about "slayed" versus "slain."

Source: Evil Avatar [http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157541]

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112609-Skyrim-DLC-Will-Be-Timed-360-Exclusive

Old news, you've already revealed the benefit for being a part of the 360 master race.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Oh damn you sussed me out with that last bit! I read that sentence and was all like 'Gonna point out foolish spelling error and there ain't nuthin you can do to stop me!' but now I don't think I'll bother...

Aww fuck it: IT'S SLAIN GODDAMNIT!.

Aside from this ehh, I got Skyrim today but don't have that much free time atm so the wait probably won't affect me that much.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Sucal said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112609-Skyrim-DLC-Will-Be-Timed-360-Exclusive

Old news, you've already revealed the benefit for being a part of the 360 master race.
Dude seriously, you cant drop flame bait like that.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I don't know why anyone (Edit: who has a choice of system) would bother getting Skyrim for anything other than PC, given how great the mods for Oblivion were.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Does this matter? As you say, the game is so big anyway the time difference is almost irrelevant. This just means Microsoft gave Bethesda some extra money for the deal, which in my eyes, is a good thing. Hoorah!

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
*sigh*
Why do this again Bethesda?
You do realise that your sales for DLC went dramatically down on the PS3 because you held it off for so long?

Fed up of this...

Sgt Pepper

Dec 7, 2009
I'm not annoyed with Bethesda when they do this.

I do get annoyed with Microsoft though.

Mainly because a few months ago MS claimed to be fully committed to PC gaming. If they were then, imo, PC and 360 should both get the same time exclusive window and release at same time.

Before any PS3 owners shout at me I make my point solely with regards to MS' stance on PC gaming, I'll leave others to argue to wider points :)

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Welp, if they want to wait an extra month before getting my money, who knows, maybe I'll have spent it on something else by the time it's on Steam! D=

Going to have to request a [sic] on that "slayed". Pretty sure it's spelt "sleighed", though I wasn't aware Dragon chariots were ingame...

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
You may now commence arguing about "slayed" versus "slain."
Slain > slayed.

Sgt Pepper said:

Mainly because a few months ago MS claimed to be fully committed to PC gaming. If they were then, imo, PC and 360 should both get the same time exclusive window and release at same time.
^Very much true, it's hilarious how they go shouting around that they're dedicated to PC gaming (but then again, that statement has become such a joke, I'm not even sure I blame them for not committing to it anymore), then go pay exclusive rights to keep the game off PCs (and PS3, but that's not their proclaimed interest)

OT: Don't really give a shit, Skyrim's gonna be so big that I'm gonna have a TON of stuff to do before that DLC is out. And even if I somehow magically run out of things to do, so many other games are coming out right now that I'm gonna get and put on the backburner, I'm not gonna be running out of stuff to play any time soon.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
TheRightToArmBears said:
Does this matter? As you say, the game is so big anyway the time difference is almost irrelevant. This just means Microsoft gave Bethesda some extra money for the deal, which in my eyes, is a good thing. Hoorah!
Bribes are not a good thing.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Sgt Pepper said:

Before any PS3 owners shout at me I make my point solely with regards to MS' stance on PC gaming, I'll leave others to argue to wider points :)
If a politician is bribed, do you blame only the briber or do you also blame the politician who took the bribe?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Johnson McGee said:
I don't know why anyone would bother getting Skyrim for anything other than PC, given how great the mods for Oblivion were.
Unlike the people who can't get their game to run on PC for various technical reasons, the PS3 version is running great and it only took about 10 minutes to install it.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Just let me know when it's out for the PC, I'd be very grateful.

Johnson McGee said:
I don't know why anyone would bother getting Skyrim for anything other than PC, given how great the mods for Oblivion were.
Because not everyone has a PC, and not every PC owner can run Skyrim, and not everyone likes using the mouse and keyboard combo rather than a gamepad.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Satsuki666 said:
As sucal said why are you reporting on this again. We already knew skyrim dlc was going to be time because it was reported as news on here months ago and has been mentioned several times since.
If it has been mentioned several times since, what's wrong with mentioning it this time? The game just released, now is the time to report it again.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Sizzle Montyjing said:
*sigh*
Why do this again Bethesda?
You do realise that your sales for DLC went dramatically down on the PS3 because you held it off for so long?

Fed up of this...
I'd be willing to bet Bethesda didn't have a choice. Microsoft would be throwing a huge temper tantrum if the DLC were released on all platforms at the same time. After all, they have to make their money somehow, what with the Xbox not being sold in Japan anymore and the PS3 sales rising past the 360's.

Oh, and what with how they don't give a rat's ass about computers anymore. Kinda funny, really. Ten years ago, whenever somebody said "Microsoft" the first thing that would pop to mind would be "Windows!" Now whenever someone says Microsoft the first thing that comes to mind is "Greedy, whiny, self-entitled Xbox 360 developers!"