Super Mario 3D Land Review

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Super Mario 3D Land Review

Mario gets back to his roots.

Read Full Article

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
In-game intermissions in which Peach almost escapes? Are you sure you didn't pick up Paper Mario by mistake?
In all seriousness, my 3DS really needs a new game, and Super Mario 3D land seems to fit that bill perfectly.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Now literally the only thing standing between me and the decision to buy a 3DS is if Monster Hunter Tri G is going to make it out of Japan.

I dearly hope it does.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Definitely getting the game for Christmas! I wish I could get it sooner, but I have no money to get it.

This is certainly gonna be fun!

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Timed disappearing-reappearing blocks, a buzz-saw level, and levels with ghastly versions of Mario are all ideas from Galaxy 2. Collecting 3 star coins per level is an idea from the NSMBs. The timer in the corner is from... well, all of the non-3D games.

Considering that all those are in the game's 80-or-so levels, I'm somewhat interested now, even if the name (Seriously, where did "Land" come from?) and the console (A 3D portable is not my kind of thing.) don't make sense to me.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Xman490 said:
(Seriously, where did "Land" come from?) and the console (A 3D portable is not my kind of thing.) don't make sense to me.
The name harkens back to Mario's old portable platforming adventures, in which they were all tagged "Super Mario Land".

EB Games in Canada is doing a promotion where you get a set of 2-piece pins for buying both Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 at their stores, so I think I'm going to pick this up despite the dire straights November is putting on my wallet. At least it's a portable game, otherwise I'd have no time to play this in between Skyrim and Zelda.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
How come the image link of this article shows a video link but theres no video review?

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
xyrafhoan said:
Xman490 said:
(Seriously, where did "Land" come from?) and the console (A 3D portable is not my kind of thing.) don't make sense to me.
The name harkens back to Mario's old portable platforming adventures, in which they were all tagged "Super Mario Land".
Yes, I know that, but it isn't quite as appropriate of a name as "Bros." would be, even if Luigi isn't in the game. I bet the game doesn't start with Egyptian pyramids nor unusual insects, and Wario is probably nowhere to be seen.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Matthew94 said:
1. The invincible power-up is optional, why complain about it??
Because its a ridiculous mechanic. Note that it didn't really affect the score, but is worth mentioning as stupid.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
maxben said:
Matthew94 said:
Because its a ridiculous mechanic. Note that it didn't really affect the score, but is worth mentioning as stupid.
but small children and casual gamers will also want to pick up the game and they don't have the reflexes we do.

Did you want to shut them out of gaming? Games cannot solely focus on the core gamers. If gaming did not every allow people new to gaming in, gaming will die with the last of the 80s children. Not everyone has been gaming since they were 4.

And sure, you might think it is stupid, but you'll probably never even see it. And if you do, then you're clearly not as good as you thought.

As for me, I'm probably going to do bad intentionally on some playthroughs just so I can run around in the game ans say, "I AM A GOD! YOU ARE A FOOL FOR THINKING YOU CAN HARM ME!!!" I personally thought that GOD MODE was always an acceptable feature in video games. It's hilarious. I know we had it in the 80s and 90s, so why is it considered a plague that is destroying the video game industry today?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Huh? Why is there a "Play"-button on the review's banner on the main page if there's not a video attached to this review? Or did I misinterpret the "Play"-button the entire time I've been on this website? I always thought that indicated a video supplement to a review.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Surprise surprise, the first Mario platformer on a new Nintendo system is really good.

I've been wanting to pick up a 3DS and this is really really edging me into buying one as soon as I get the money.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
orangeapples said:
maxben said:
Matthew94 said:
but small children and casual gamers will also want to pick up the game and they don't have the reflexes we do.

Did you want to shut them out of gaming? Games cannot solely focus on the core gamers. If gaming did not every allow people new to gaming in, gaming will die with the last of the 80s children. Not everyone has been gaming since they were 4.

And sure, you might think it is stupid, but you'll probably never even see it. And if you do, then you're clearly not as good as you thought.

As for me, I'm probably going to do bad intentionally on some playthroughs just so I can run around in the game ans say, "I AM A GOD! YOU ARE A FOOL FOR THINKING YOU CAN HARM ME!!!" I personally thought that GOD MODE was always an acceptable feature in video games. It's hilarious. I know we had it in the 80s and 90s, so why is it considered a plague that is destroying the video game industry today?
Are you serious? How do you think small children and casuals get those reflexes we have? BY FUCKING TRAINING OF COURSE! I started when I was a wee lad playing Super Mario Brothers 3 and Battle Toads. Guess what? I SUCKED! But I improved gradually because I really enjoyed the game and I really wanted to see what was next. Are saying people can't get through games today if they cannot cheat?

I wouldn't mind if it was unlockable cheat to get invincibility and whatnot, but this is just sad.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Nazulu said:
Are you serious? How do you think small children and casuals get those reflexes we have? BY FUCKING TRAINING OF COURSE! I started when I was a wee lad playing Super Mario Brothers 3 and Battle Toads. Guess what? I SUCKED! But I improved gradually because I really enjoyed the game and I really wanted to see what was next. Are saying people can't get through games today if they cannot cheat?
Yes. This may surprise you, but some people don't want to get frustrated by games. This is why gaming was originally a niche market.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Lukeje said:
Nazulu said:
Yes. This may surprise you, but some people don't want to get frustrated by games. This is why gaming was originally a niche market.
Then they should work out their problems or find some other hobby. Seriously, that's pathetic. And I wouldn't call it a niche market. Gaming exploded in popularity at some point and nearly everyone played arcade games and owned Game Boys, Ataris or a NES. I know it's more popular now, but I think that's more because there is more people in the world and because motion controlled games appeals to a whole new different type of gamers.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Nazulu said:
Lukeje said:
Nazulu said:
Then they should work out their problems or find some other hobby. Seriously, that's pathetic.
No. What is pathetic is that attitude. Just because they don't play the game the same way as you doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed to get enjoyment out of it.