Call of Duty Elite for PC Called Into Doubt - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Call of Duty Elite for PC Called Into Doubt - UPDATED

The long-awaited Call of Duty Elite is still a mess and now it looks like it might not make it to the PC at all.

Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321378573&sr=8-1] is a huge success by any measure, but the same can't be said for Call of Duty Elite, the social networking platform that launched alongside the game for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Beachhead Studio somehow didn't foresee that half the planet would be hammering the service on launch day and it's been struggling, and largely failing, to cope with the demand ever since.

Things are somewhat better now, but it's still a mess. The latest Twitter [http://www.callofduty.com/elite/toolbar/status.html] that the service isn't working, however, and the Android and iOS mobile apps are being held back until the studio is confident that servers will be able to handle the extra load they generate. Given that the servers can't even handle the current load, when that will be is anybody's guess.

Most interesting, however is that the future of the PC version of CoD Elite is also now in doubt thanks to a tweet that slipped out earlier [https://twitter.com/#!/CallOfDutyElite/status/136402419574779904] this morning. "We are working towards a universal Elite experience but we cannot guarantee if or when a version will be available for the PC," the studio said.

Beachhead revealed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114037-Call-of-Duty-Elite-on-PC-Delayed-and-Debilitated] a few days before the launch of Elite that the PC version of the service wouldn't make the original launch target and would suffer from "reduced functionality" when it did come out. The studio said at the time that it was "as committed as ever to the PC," but this "if or when" business casts that statement in doubt. Not that it was ever likely to be a priority for Activision anyway; because it can't offer the same level of service as on the 360 and PS3, Beachhead said Elite on the PC would be free.

UPDATE: Beachhead has backtracked on its statement about the possibly perilous future of CoD Elite on the PC with the following tweet [https://twitter.com/#!/CallOfDutyElite/status/136530985159364608]: "We misspoke. Our goal has always been to provide a free PC offering for ELITE. Stay tuned for an update as timing is still being determined."

So, stayed tuned!

via: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-11-15-cod-elite-still-down-as-high-load-sees-servers-struggle]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
What really bugs me is not the fact that they wont release it for PC, its the fact that they always say that they are "committed as ever to the PC".

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
C'mon Activision. I may rip on EA for the shortcomings in BF3's console versions but at least they still had functional (for the most part) console version. Yeah Elite is just a side-service but you guys were promoting the hell out of it.

Feb 13, 2008
Complained about it before. Shot down by certain forum members for being a hater.

Probably gonna watch the same 2 jump on here and defend Activision again while calling us all haters again.

Build a game that relies on the players, not you. If you can run WoW, then CoD should be a walk in the park.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
Call of Duty: Elite will be a console-only product in the long run. I also expect that future versions of Call of Duty will pretty much be console only in the future as well. Activision cannot manage to get their networking done right. Treyarch MAY be able to do it right if Bobby's side doesn't pound them down, but Sledgehammer and what's left of IW will not.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Michael Ellis said:
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA PEOPLE DISAGREE WITH MEEEEEEEE
Grow up.
-_-
OP: Doesn't suprise me at all...
I mean, i'm not going to get it for the PC anyway, what with the problems people have come out with.

Just fix your stupid connection across ALL platforms though.
Seriously, annoying.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
I just think it's funny how they're having such a hard time withe "Elite" service, yet Counter Strike and Counter Strike Source stats are just the norm. I'm suprised anyone really cares about it.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
The issue with such a service on the PC is that it's essentially advanced stat-tracking on a platform where people are notorious for being able to easily hack their stats.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's just plain stupid that they wouldn't be ready. But that shows how little faith they had in it. And now the experience is soured for a lot of people. Activision and Beachhead are just plain fail. They can't make a competent game experience in the first place, then they can't get their extra money maker going.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
MurderousToaster said:
The issue with such a service on the PC is that it's essentially advanced stat-tracking on a platform where people are notorious for being able to easily hack their stats.
You mean, the guy with seven million knife headshots is lying?

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Vault boy Eddie said:
MurderousToaster said:
You mean, the guy with seven million knife headshots is lying?
Pfff, I'd say that that one's pretty legit. I'd say the issue is with people who can get, like, four kills in a row! Without dying! It's insane!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Awexsome said:
Yeah Elite is just a side-service but you guys were promoting the hell out of it.
That's what kills me these days. We get a lot of hype for items that aren't really part of the game and might not even make it out.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
What they really wanted to say is: "We can't be arsed to make a proper PC version".