Molyneux Satire Spawns Survival-Horror Bowling Game

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Molyneux Satire Spawns Survival-Horror Bowling Game

Finally, a look at Peter Molydeux's no-doubt brilliant Cascore.

Fable creator Peter Molyneux is a very ambitious game developer. Why shouldn't he be? The man created Populous and Dungeon Keeper. If he wants to dream up games that are so high-concept that they could never feasibly be developed, more power to him.

That said, this also makes the man a prime target for satire. Enter: Peter Molydeux [https://twitter.com/#!/petermolydeux/].

Molydeux isn't an actual person, you see. He's a Twitter persona designed to exaggerate Peter Molyneux's eccentricities and broadcast them to an audience largely consisting of bored games journalists for whom Twitter is the alpha and omega of professional interaction. In that regard, Molydeux has been a great success. People find him amusing. Thus, it was high time for the digital construct to step up his game and actually offer a proof-of-concept for his crazy ideas.

See that clip embedded above? That's Cascore, the most dramatic, emotionally affecting bowling game ever made.

From the game's Molydeux-penned YouTube description:

Imagine a world where casual and hardcore gamers can enjoy games together? So instead of hardcore gamers pretending to like wii sports just so they can spend xmas with their family they actually prefer it as opposed to just going off and playing the best hardcore games such as Skyrim or Fable3.

Granted, it's a bit "inside baseball," but c'mon! That bit about placing a child's dreams inside a bowling ball? That's Swiftian wit, even if you don't spend your days typing about gaming industry minutiae.

Source: @petermolydeux [https://twitter.com/#!/petermolydeux/status/136132817888354304]

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
The death of your child was only the beginning of the epic journey your bowling ball must take.

Sep 14, 2009
lol that's pretty good surprisingly...

if it's under 10-15 bucks i'd consider buying it off launch.

still..that comment at the end

"fable 3 for hardcore gamers"

uh...i loved fable 3 but by all means it is not hardcore, you can't die...

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
... Huh.

Someone should give this Molydeux bloke a chance at actually developing this game. For being dreamed up as a total joke on one man's overzealous attitude, that looks insanely fun.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
All I want to know is will I be able to marry my bowling ball mr. Molyneux?
And that musical score was rather striking.

OT: Hell I'd play that, looks pretty cool and seems like it could be fun throw back to the more nonsensical games of the pre-Xbox era.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
What if you could insert teenager's dreams into the bowling ball?
Suddenly, M rating.

I really want to see a video for the dancing FPS.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Finally, a look at Peter Molydeux's no-doubt brilliant Cascore.
Peter Molydeux

There are two of him???

[EDIT]

My bad: obviously hadn't read the whole OP :p

[EDIT]

And after watching the video: hilarious.
The scariest thing though, the very last mashup idea: Fitness + MMO. Have they not heard of Fitocracy? IT EXISTS.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It was fun but not very Peter until the bit about putting childrens dreams in a bowling ball and then it was spot on :D

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Johnson McGee said:
What if you could insert teenager's dreams into the bowling ball?
Suddenly, M rating.

I really want to see a video for the dancing FPS.
Maybe it's just the combination of your post and avatar, but I can only think that the result of this would a flaming bowling ball with a face that rolls screaming towards the enemy, beheaded kamikaze style, perhaps.

I'd play that, most likely.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
To be honest, this actually would probably be an interesting XBLA title along the same veins as Plants versus Zombies.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
They pretty much make themselves a challenge to pull this off. Dancing and FPS, Karting (ok I can picture this being like Story mode to F-Zero GX but more indept) and RPG and Fitness and MMO? So they're pretty much intending to make the most unique games ever?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
MUST MAKE

MUST PLAY

MUST FRAME AND PLACE ON WALL

Seriously, this is an amazing concept. I'd buy the finished product twice.