The Mummy Online's Beta Rises From The Sands

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
The Mummy Online's Beta Rises From The Sands

The Mummy Online's launching its closed beta, and the game's developer is asking for folks to sign up.

If you're a fan of Brendan Fraser, pulp adventure, and/or classic Hollywood monsters, then good news: The Mummy Online has just started accepting applications for its closed beta period. The bad news, though, is that you apparently don't get to play as either Brendan Fraser or Imhotep, though it does look like you'll get to battle those Anubis monsters from The Mummy Returns.

According to Bigpoint, the studio behind The Mummy Online, the MMO will feature both PvE and PvP campaigns. Should you sign up for the game and get into the beta, you'll have a tutorial level that ends with you selecting your allegiance as either a Raider or a Cultist. From there, you'll have a number of movie settings to explore/fight through. On that note, let's be honest: the first two Mummy movies were largely set in the desert (so be prepared to see a lot of variations of sand).

Here's the official game summary:

With treasure and fortune at stake, this is an epic battle worth fighting. The Mummy Online is the new, free-to-play action-adventure RPG inspired by the blockbuster movie franchise, challenging you to fight in this fun, cooperative and fast-paced new 3D isometric game. Following the events portrayed in The Mummy film franchise, mummies, and monsters have been released into the lands. You assume the role of a Raider: on the hunt for riches and treasure or a Cultist: seeking mastery over dark powers.

The Mummy Online has been quietly been building up steam since it was announced. However, it's been largely overlooked, mainly because it's based on a franchise that nobody's cared about since the final fifteen minutes of The Mummy Returns . It'll be interesting to see if the game actually manages to redeem the Mummy brand when its final version launches.

If you're interested in signing up for the game's beta, head on over to the official website.

Feb 13, 2008
Istvan said:
Yeah, the mummy's alright, but could you make one based off the room please?
But that'd tear us apart!

If they could get the Kinect up to work that though, so you had to ham act to get points...genius!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Holy shit... but... why?

Someone seriously needs to consider these things before putting together a team of crack programmers. No one is gonna make money off of this, it may even hurt the careers of the people involved.

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Istvan said:

If they could get the Kinect up to work that though, so you had to ham act to get points...genius!
You're tearing me apart, Root!

OT: So yeah, who thought this was a good idea? I didn't mind the movies, but an MMO of it? I think I'll pass on that.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
TheSaw said:
Istvan said:

You're tearing me apart, Root!

OT: So yeah, who thought this was a good idea? I didn't mind the movies, but an MMO of it? I think I'll pass on that.
Same here, I enjoyed the hell out of the first two when I was a kid but it doesn't seem like it'd make that exciting of an MMO.

Anyway, how's your sex life?

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
So a Diablo knockoff set in ancient Egypt?

I think this has been used before...
By Diablo even....

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009

Really?

A MMO for the MUMMY?

WHY?

MMO's need factions, sides, different parties you can be so you can kill other players without have to worry about the other guys.

How many factions are in the MUMMY series?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Yes, but is there a boss battle against The Rock?

Serious: Seriously? An MMO based on the Mummy? Well... that's interesting.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
So first people started making quick, weak quality adventure games, then kids games, then fps games (we are currently on that exact phase), and the next turning tide is with mmo's....

I sense it will crash and burn...

wolf92

Aug 13, 2008
Istvan said:

Bonus level would involve playing football in a tux.

Oh hai mark

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:

Really?

A MMO for the MUMMY?

WHY?

MMO's need factions, sides, different parties you can be so you can kill other players without have to worry about the other guys.

Apparently there are two, the Raiders aka adventure-snorting gloryhounds, and the Cultists aka brainwashed redshirts.
I am a bit confused where it is all supposed to go. If it doesn't go anywhere, the game will die in Beta.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

Really?

A MMO for the MUMMY?

WHY?

Apparently there are two, the Raiders aka adventure-snorting gloryhounds, and the Cultists aka brainwashed redshirts.
I am a bit confused where it is all supposed to go. If it doesn't go anywhere, the game will die in Beta.
That means we are two groups of humans that just shoot each other?

I guess a few "mage" classes will be using mummy powers, but nothing really in this IP is made for MMO's.

I hope this thing dies in Alpha.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Now, if you could play as one of the Magi (Ardeth Bay's guys, the ones with markings on their faces), I might be interested.

But only slightly.