Japan Makes a Game Out of Buying a Coke

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Japan Makes a Game Out of Buying a Coke

The Japanese arm of Coca-Cola makes a case for "vending machine" as the next big mobile gaming platform.

Gamification, the process of putting everyday actions in the context of a videogame, is a little bit like the Force: it has a light and a dark side. If you and your roommates are keeping your apartment spic-and-span thanks to hawk unhealthy food [http://www.chorewars.com/], the utility is a little more questionable. It's not exactly clear where Coca-Cola's latest marketing ploy falls on this spectrum. Soon, Japanese Coke machines will allow smartphone users to take part in a game called "Happiness Quest," where they can customize a digital Coke avatar and rack up points through constant check-ins. This tactic will encourage Japanese consumers not only to spend more time hanging out at Coke machines, but also to seek new ones out on a regular basis.

The setup for "Happiness Quest" is pretty simple: pick your favorite Coke machine, scan a QR code, and customize your anthropomorphic, soda-dispensing buddy with a number of backgrounds and accessories. As you travel the Land of the Rising Sun, scan additional Coke machines to amass a virtual coterie of companions for your machine. Checking in under special circumstances (such as on Christmas or multiple times during lunch hours) will net you badges which, in turn, unlock more accessories. While these activities seem pretty tame, some of the more adventurous badges requiring checking in at machines clear across the country.

To be fair, none of these activities requires buying so much as a single can of Coke. However, how many times do you think a customer can scan a Coke machine (during lunchtime, no less) without dropping just a few yen on the sweet, syrupy soda? Make no mistake: this promotion is out to make regular customers out of Japanese participants. Its ultimate success remains to be seen, but assuming this promotion makes money, how long before Europe and North America see a similar strategy?

Source: Penn-Olson [http://www.penn-olson.com/2011/11/10/coca-cola-gamifies-its-vending-machines/]

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
This sounds like a plot for some dystopian future movie. Really gives me the feeling that I'm living in "the future."

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Okay, I dare say I'll get a lot of stick from future commenters for saying this, but I'm all for this idea. Companies need to advertise, even Coke, and the less invasive and more quirky and fun the ads are, the more likely they are to work on savvy people such as us (well, I assume 'us', whoever is reading this!). I prefer less invasive ads anyway, personally. And besides, it seems like a fun little thing to try. There's no obligation to buy the product, so no problems for potential consumers. Everyone wins! This is pretty interesting to me, so I say rock on Coke, rock on...

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Because what we need is Japan to become as overweight and unhealthy as America!

...wait.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
If only this was done with Dr. Pepper instead. I already drink enough of that as it is, and this would probably make me drink even more. Japan, games and Dr. Pepper; My three favorite things on this planet. They must come together and make me their slave!

You know...if I lived in Japan, anyway.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
This will have to become an MMO at some point because I did notice the amount of vending machines in Japan was staggering!

BOSS ICED CAFE AU LAIT FOR THE WIN!!!!
Seriously miss that stuff.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Trivun said:
Okay, I dare say I'll get a lot of stick from future commenters for saying this, but I'm all for this idea. Companies need to advertise, even Coke, and the less invasive and more quirky and fun the ads are, the more likely they are to work on savvy people such as us (well, I assume 'us', whoever is reading this!). I prefer less invasive ads anyway, personally. And besides, it seems like a fun little thing to try. There's no obligation to buy the product, so no problems for potential consumers. Everyone wins! This is pretty interesting to me, so I say rock on Coke, rock on...

I completely agree. It's a fun little idea and doesn't really force you to buy hundreds of cans worth of Coke.

In fact, there's already Coke Zone. That's a system that gives you points for buying bottles of Coke, which is worse if anything.

Still I think this is a fun little idea. Should be interesting to see if it spreads.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
TLS14 said:
If only this was done with Dr. Pepper instead. I already drink enough of that as it is, and this would probably make me drink even more. Japan, games and Dr. Pepper; My three favorite things on this planet. They must come together and make me their slave!

You know...if I lived in Japan, anyway.
I wonder if Japan has something like Craigslist.

'Always wanted a family pet, but were always saddened by the fact that your pet can't verbally show their undying devotion towards you? Look no further! Human(ity) Pets has the answer. They even come with free collars. Just like in the hentais!'

In all seriousness, I would totally go be a servant for some Japanese family if it meant I got to live in Japan. (Well, I kind of want to be a servant anyway. Being a family butler is like...my dream.)

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
What?
Imeanwhatisthisidonteven...

This seems pretty dystopian, like some sort of evil business strategy.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Soo.... basically what Extra Credits warned about gamification....

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Alar said:
Because what we need is Japan to become as overweight and unhealthy as America!

...wait.
High Fructose Corn Syrup, though common in American soft drinks, is actually not used in many others. If you live in Western America, check the ingredients for coke in the soft drinks section, then go to the Mexican specialty section and look for those bottled Cokes. Rather than HFCS (which is very very bad for you and WILL make you fat), they use ordinary natural, totally safe sugar. It's safer, better, and less likely to "Americanize" the Japanese waistline as long as they too, use sugar.

Yeah, I used your post as a flimsy excuse to enlighten others, what of it?

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
Trivun said:
I agree. A pretty damn clever idea.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
DSK- said:
Japan: Another reason to go there.
I can't wait to see how many people will mistake the vending machine dress as a vending machine on which to play this new game. (no preview so I hope that link worked)

Anyway, I'm a bit surprised. If this thing catches on, like I'm sure it will, then it's only a matter of time before those kind of Coke machines are brought into Air Ports at the very least. If achievements/badges are involved, than it's only a matter of time before the "Around the World" one comes about. If this game does go global though, I don't see it reaching far beyond airports and, maybe train terminals though. I think it would be pretty great though, especially if it ties into the Coke Rewards program.