Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Every Sales Record Known to Man

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Every Sales Record Known to Man

Activision's shooter has grossed more money in five days than any other form of entertainment ever.

Well, I guess I have to eat my M-16. Last week, I made the bold prediction [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114091-Modern-Warfare-3-Looks-Purty] that MW3 was going to sell well, but that it wouldn't do as well as its predecessors. After five days of sales figures were released by Activision today with MW3 grossing $775 million in just five days, it looks like I was as wrong as a Russian informant. The figure breaks the previous sales record set by Black Ops last year with $650 million.

Activision boss Bobby Kotick was quick to gloat that his property reigns supreme. "Life-to-date retail sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded $6 billion worldwide, which makes Call of Duty one of the most valuable entertainment properties in the world," he said. "We expect continued sales momentum, as reviews and audience enthusiasm suggest that this is the best Call of Duty game that we have ever made."

Not only has MW3 made more money than Avatar or Titanic did in five days, it's breaking all kinds of records for use on Xbox Live and PSN. According to Activision:

More than 7.0 million multiplayer hours were logged playing Modern Warfare 3 by the end of launch day, November 8, a 19% increase over last year's 5.9 million multiplayer hours logged playing Black Ops last year's launch day.

More than 3.3 million unique gamers played Modern Warfare 3 in one day on November 8 up from 2.6 million unique gamers for Black Ops.

Modern Warfare 3 set a new record for concurrent players on Xbox LIVE with 3.3 million simultaneous users on November 8.

In short, a lot of freaking people are playing MW3 and this hammer with a J pin tastes delicious.

Source: Activision [http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=624766]

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Fortunately, popularity still does not necessarily equal excellent.

Actually the thing that pisses me off about it is not the fact that Call of Duty sold well, but that it inflated Kotick's ego. Thing is larger than an A380 at this point.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Damn, my hopes dashed.

But even so, Call of Duty will be dead in five years time I'm guessing.
They should quit while they're ahead.
Otherwise it will go the way of Guitar Hero; dying so suddenly it'll be as if it never existed.
People get bored. They will tire of CoD.

I'm surprised Modern Warfare 3 did better than Black Ops, I genuinely thought (and hoped) that Battlefield 3, not to mention the other blockbusters (Skyrim and Assassin's Creed namely) would take a sizeable chunk out of sales.
I was wrong :(

Still, I'm getting in early and claiming the next one won't do as well.

Dec 14, 2009
I can't say I'm surprised.

I like CoD as much as the next guy, but I don't think it deserves to break so many records.

If people want to pay full price (and then some) for the same game every year, by all means, go for it, just don't come crying when you start getting bored and wonder why devs aren't making anything new.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
am i surprised? nope..
should i have been surprised? yes
i mean i've seen the game being played.. and its still the same..
it's like how fifa manages to keep doing well///

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
SomeLameStuff said:
Fortunately, popularity still does not necessarily equal excellent.
AndyFromMonday said:
Amazing how mediocrity is so gratuitously rewarded in the gaming community.
Paragon Fury said:
Well-marketed shit is still shit.
Well, that's pretty much everything I wanted to say.

Having played my roommates copy of MW3, it's exceedingly sad that a game which innovated so little over its predecessors and isn't all that polished as far as multiplayer goes gets such high sales.

For all their talk of wanting games to be new and fresh, it seems that a great deal of gamers are all too happy to pay another £40 for Modern Warfare 2.5.

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
Call of duty is like apple high popularity and high price for avarge things. The name sells. CoD is not a good game its ok game wich got popular.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
Well-marketed shit is still shit Kotick.
Pretty much this sums it up.

It's like 3D movies. Absolutely bollocks because it's not very good at what it is, yet people still going out to pay 300% the price of a film to watch it in false, lame "3D". Give it a few more years where we will then have holographic - TRUE 3D projection.

OT: Kotick can go fuck a horse, his game is shit and he's milking it. Now we just need the demographics for all their online players; Bieber has 12 year old girls, XFactor has absent minded teens and CoD has _________.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
Wow, I wonder if there is any limit to the ammount of money Call of duty can make. Every year, it shatters previous records like they're nothing. By this rate, Modern Warfare 7 will make enough money to buy Mars.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I can't say I'm surprised.

I like CoD as much as the next guy, but I don't think it deserves to break so many records.

If people want to pay full price (and then some) for the same game every year, by all means, go for it.
I like how their vaunted CoD Elite service is still up shit creek, and how hackers are still hacking.
Throw in the fact that quickscoping is easier, spawning is not quite as bad as Blops, but still bad, and throw in a dash of "grenades suck balls" and you get: thank god Skyrim is so much fun.

Jan 23, 2009
Yeah it's setting all kinds of records. I peaks about 80,000 concurrent users on steam DAILY! http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ (I mean Skyrim is getting close to 300,000, but thats not a real game because it doesnt have guns)

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
I liked it. People buy it and enjoy it. Accept these things and stop being stuck up. Shooting people in a plane that is in freefall, giving the illusion of no gravity, is an experience I do not have often.

Now, tell me I am wrong about my own opinion.