Carmack Punches Up Doom 3 Source Code

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Carmack Punches Up Doom 3 Source Code

id Software mastermind John Carmack is rewriting part of the Doom 3 in order to avoid some potential legal headaches when it's released as open source.

At QuakeCon 2011 in August, John Carmack announced that the source code for Doom 3 would be Doom 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112145-id-Wants-To-Give-You-Doom-3s-Source-Code] source. What's the holdup?

It could be partly due to the fact that Carmack is rewriting some of the source to avoid potential legal hassles with Creative Labs. A stencil shadowing technique called "Carmack's Reverse," jointly created by Carmack and other coders, was used under license in Doom 3, but Bethesda lawyers - you know how they are - raised the possibility that releasing the source code with that technique included could cause trouble. And instead of doing what a normal person would and calling the whole thing off as legally unfeasible, Carmack elected to simply replace the offending bits with new code.

"Lawyers are still skittish about the patent issue around 'Carmack's reverse', so I am going to write some new code for the doom3 release," he tweeted [https://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack/status/136614459887202305].

Say what you will about id's recent catalog but you have to admit, that's a pretty damned cool thing to do - not that it was an especially onerous task, as it turned out. "This demonstrates the idiocy of the patent," he wrote in a follow-up tweet [https://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack/status/137189212519792640]. "The workaround added four lines of code and changed two."

He did not, however, indicate when the Doom 3 source will be released.

Source: IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/carmack-rewrites-doom-3-source-to-avoid-legal-problems/]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That sounds like something the other guy does in a fight.

Grizzled veteran- The poor guy would ha' made mince meat outta me if I hadn't used the Carmack's Reverse... as it was by the time MPs showed up poor fella was laid out like an old slab'o'ham (insert sage nodding or senile laughter here)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Now I want to play Doom 3 again, that was a lot of fun...and a lot of ruined underwear (kidding). I still remember trying to run it on my laptop way back and I got like 20-15FPS and everything was mistextured because my laptop didn't support bump mapping. Good times.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
It's too bad that Carmack had made a decision

and then had to reverse it

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Even with the source code free I somehow don't think Doom 3 will end up running on TI-83's like the first installment did.

Daemonate

Jun 7, 2010
Personally I think Bethesda would earn a lot of good will and save a bucket by firing its legal payroll, and hiring the best counsel when they needed it. Having a bunch of do-nothing in-house lawyers making work for themselves doesn't seem like the best idea ever.

EPIC move by Carmack, who I still love even if his games are terrible and his company has become a soulless corporate shell. I quite liked DooM 3, I just wish it wasn't called, well, DooM 3!
He needs Romero to come back and touch his game with real genius to complement his coding genius.

I don't get it - everyone still mocks Daikatana, but did you ever actually play it? It's way better than Rage.

NOW the modders can get onto porting System Shock 2 into DOOM3!...

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Is it too much to hope that all their cease & desist letters are headed "Stop right there, Criminal Scum!"

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
People need to learn to read the article. Bethesda's lawyers said, "Hey, we might get sued by Creative so we probably shouldn't release the Doom 3 source." At that point Carmack said, "Nah, it's cool bro, I can change it."

Bethesda's lawyers are preventing a lawsuit!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yeah, in this case the legal team is trying to keep its guys out of trouble, not pick a fight with someone else. I just used the "you know how they are" line because for good or bad, they're pretty obviously kind of a twitchy bunch.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Centrophy said:
People need to learn to read the article. Bethesda's lawyers said, "Hey, we might get sued by Creative so we probably shouldn't release the Doom 3 source." At that point Carmack said, "Nah, it's cool bro, I can change it."

BASTARDS

ALWAYS ONE STEP AHEAD

...I do feel after the whole Notch v. Bethesda thing, everyone is willing to call Bethesda's lawyers out for anything they do. Even if it's, like, normal lawyer stuff.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Yeah, in this case the legal team is trying to keep its guys out of trouble, not pick a fight with someone else. I just used the "you know how they are" line because for good or bad, they're pretty obviously kind of a twitchy bunch.
They just want to make it harder for the next guy to try to pull a Bethesda on them.
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Centrophy said:

BASTARDS

ALWAYS ONE STEP AHEAD

...I do feel after the whole Notch v. Bethesda thing, everyone is willing to call Bethesda's lawyers out for anything they do. Even if it's, like, normal lawyer stuff.
Which is hardly normal behavior for anyone else. They make rocket scientists look like social people. If we ever followed through on Shakespeare and killed all the lawyers, we wouldn't have anyone to miss.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
At QuakeCon 2011 in August, John Carmack announced that the source code for Doom 3 would be released to the general public as open source sometime following the release of Rage
How on Earth did I miss that?!

This is best news of the year.

CortexReaver

Jul 19, 2011
Formica Archonis said:
Ah, Creative. Still trying to be relevant in a world where everyone uses Realtek. It's cute.
Not everyone, musicians (at least those who I know) prefer Creative's hardware.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Say what you will about id's recent catalog but you have to admit, that's a pretty damned cool thing to do - not that it was an especially onerous task, as it turned out. "This demonstrates the idiocy of the patent," he wrote in a follow-up tweet [https://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack/status/137189212519792640]. "The workaround added four lines of code and changed two."
... Really? SIX lines of code? That's it?
The difference between a lawsuit and not is SIX freakin' lines of code? That's like ... nothing!

Seriously - patent law needs to be beaten to death with the lawyers who dreamed it up.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
CortexReaver said:
Formica Archonis said:
Ah, Creative. Still trying to be relevant in a world where everyone uses Realtek. It's cute.
Not everyone, musicians (at least those who I know) prefer Creative's hardware.
Well, high-end stuff is a whole 'nother beast. Though I am a bit surprised, as I was sure that Creative wasn't the only high-end sound outfit out there. Hmm.

cynicalsaint1 said:
... Really? SIX lines of code? That's it?
The difference between a lawsuit and not is SIX freakin' lines of code? That's like ... nothing!
Though it depends on the nature of the code. Could be he pulled out some specific optimization that the Creative patent relies on that was needed at the time but is far less important in the era of 32nm processes and PCI-e.

For an amazingly long example of the pain some code can cause, look into the SCO/Linux fiasco.