League of Legends Muscles Past World of Warcraft

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
League of Legends Muscles Past World of Warcraft

League of Legends is now bigger than World of Warcraft and draws in more than four times as many peak concurrent users as Skyrim.

slipped [http://leagueoflegends.com/] to 10.3 million users from the beginning of July to the end of September.

And that's not all! LoL [which, for the record, is a terrible acronym] boasts peak concurrent user numbers of 1.3 million, dwarfing the record-setting Skyrim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114236-Skyrim-is-Bethesdas-Biggest-Game-Ever] attracted on Steam.

Riot Games revealed these numbers in advance of the upcoming League of Legends: Season Two, which will have a $5 million prize pool up for grabs and finish with a $2 million tournament featuring the best League of Legends teams in the world. "The incredible passion and dedication of our players is positively inspiring," said Riot Games co-founder and CEO Brandon Beck. "Our community's boundless enthusiasm is why they are central to every decision we make at Riot."

Other interesting statistics, courtesy of this awesome infographic: since League of Legends went online, 15 billion champions and 200 billion minions have been killed, 23 million forum posts have been made across more than 2.3 million threads, 21 trillion gold has been earned and, although I'm not sure how this is relevant, 1197 years ago, there were Vikings. Check it out!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
1197 years ago, there were vikings.

Combining the daily amount of hours played world-wide, that's 1197 years.

I CHECKED IT, IT'S ACTUALLY 1198 YEARS!

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
I love how they make mention to the amount of times a TEEMO dies in a day. I find that actually really really funny.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
I love how they make mention to the amount of times a TEEMO dies in a day. I find that actually really really funny.
That's because anyone who plays LoL knows that teemo's a kiting dick. :p A popular game on there is "Catch the Teemo".

He doesn't tend to survive being caught...

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Those numbers are not so impressive compared to games that have paid subscribers or paying customers.

Feb 9, 2011
Hmmm, that's pretty interesting. I've never played the game though and don't really know anything about it either. All I hear is the community is terrible.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Aw man, Teemo is way too cute to kill...plus he's my most used Hero/Legend/whatnot.
Anyways, those stats are really impressive.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
I like League of Legends. I wish it liked ME more, but anyway. When many of my friends play at high levels (and Kyle Danger Henick is one my close friends) I have to play.

LoL just has the 3rd worst community on the planet. Even the players admit it.

I like how for the stats they show HotShotQQ, the poster child for why people hate LoL. Not wise marketing.

"OH MY F**KING GOD NUNU? WHY? WHY NUNU WHY? WHY THE F**K ARE YOU SO KOREAN YOU F***KING IDIOT"

HotShotQQ, 3 weeks ago during a major tournament being streamed.
And the better stats are from my countryman, Shushei, who is pretty much liked by anyone. And was the MVP on the tourney he won for his team.

Hotshot is a bit less hated now, what with Dignitas being scumbags and so on.
EcksTeaSea said:
Doesn't help that about half of these people are terrible.
Half? Optimistic as hell. 25% of best level 30 players (anyone under 30 is terribad or smurf anyway) who play Ranked Games are on the ladder. The numbers go down the better people get...

And I suppose you're at 1800 ELO?
I hit 1700 this season, was 1850 last season, and I think 90% of players are terrible. 7% are just bad. 3% of all players are decent. And about 0.5% are actually good.

Just to name - there are 120k people on American ladder. Gold bracket consists of... 3% of best players, I think?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Baldr said:
Those numbers are not so impressive compared to games that have paid subscribers or paying customers.
No matter how you slice it "Most played game on the planet" is pretty good, paying or no paying. And about 35% of players do pay for stuff.
Not even close to being the "Most played game on the planet" or anything like that. They only have less than half the number of MapleStory's Active Accounts (Over 100 million accounts, 23 million active.) And I don't even know the statistics on some facebook games.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Despite all of this Riot is still as unprofessional and incompetent as most developers get. It doesn't help that their playerbase is mostly awful.

Zeetchmen

Aug 17, 2009
Oh RageshotGG eh? Just watch his stream and you'll get to see a fine sample of how bad a comunity LoL has.

A clip of him in action.