Paperboy Tows Piano, We Are Amused

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Paperboy Tows Piano, We Are Amused

Look, I can't really explain why this clip is so entertaining. You're just going to have to see it for yourself.

Alright, let's try to break this down.

We have a classic videogame (Paperboy 2, for those keeping score at home), a tiny prop piano taped to the screen, a scrolling effect that gives the illusion of movement and some dude in the background making noises and shaking a piece of cardboard. Y'know, actually it makes even less sense when you take the time to think it through.

But, I'm a professional. I can totally generate topical conversation based on a video that may very well only be hilarious to me and three other people.

Alright, so compare this clip -- this incredibly low budget, amateur clip -- to something like this recent professionally animated trailer for Lego: Harry Potter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/4964-Lego-Harry-Potter-Years-5-7-Launch-Trailer]. Which clip do you prefer? Which clip suddenly fills you with a desire to play its respective game? Which clip actually inspires genuine human emotion?

I'm not demanding that you laugh along with Paperboy's piano towing adventure, I'm just asking that you examine your feelings about what makes a quality gaming video. Is it big budget effects, or simple human ingenuity?

(And if you don't believe any of that, let's blame this all on the calendar. Internet quality standards go right out the window on Friday.)

Source: GameSetWatch [http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/11/paperboy_invades_our_dimension.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gamesetwatch+%28GameSetWatch%29]

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Damn, That kid is strong. Why doesn't he work as a mover instead? He would make more money that way. :p

OT: That made me lol.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I laughed, and I was thoroughly amused.

The dude making the noises alone made me chuckle.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I have wanted to play Paperboy since its inception. This makes me want to play it all the more.

And, did he just get teabagged by a ghost?

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
For whatever reason, that video had me burst out in to a fit of laughter.

...Are you a wizard?

I find this related video to be equally hilarious.

supernovashadow

Apr 2, 2010
Well I didn't need to see over a minute of it but I was laughing for the first 30 seconds or so. And I do want to play Paperboy now...

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
After watching that kid break windows with the notoriously thin Tuesday newspaper, snap tombstones (or barricades or something) in two, move as fast as a motorcycle, and avoid literal Death just to complete his paper route, nothing surprises me. That kid could give Superman a run for his money.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I... I can't stop watching this. It's just so ridiculous, but so amusing. And it goes on and on, and it's even varied... I'm particularly fond of the close up of the piano rattling... A masterpiece of ridiculosity.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Well, that was entertaining.

Also, there is nothing, AND I MEAN NOTHING (!!!), that would make me feel like playing any of those lego games.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Good god this seems like something that would entertain a 6 year old but I was laughing all the way through.

Maturity why hath thou forsaken me.