96: Westernization by Zombification

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
"Once the dead have risen, all bets are off. Society, necessarily, breaks down, and the Maslow pyramid contracts to a single tier. Facing off against the undead horde, therefore, we find our petty insecurities erased; clothes, cars, who'll win American Idol - all become meaningless. What's left is what will get us through the night, and the day, and the next night ... until the zombies are vanquished. And it's this deconstruction of the pillars of our culture, this sifting through the waste to find what's really important - a gun perhaps, or a propane tank - that makes for such cathartically good storytelling. By fighting zombies, in other words, we're actually fighting ourselves."

Russ Pitts explores the myth of the zombie apocalypse, as represented by Capcom's Dead Rising.
Westernization by Zombification

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Am I above bumping my own articles for the sake of saying "I told you so?" No. I am not.

Next gen is reporting [http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5688&Itemid=2] that Capcom is way, way up thanks in large part to the westernization effort led by Dead Rising and Lost Planet. Good on them, I say. And good for us, because money speaks a lot louder than commentary. Success means we can expect more games like these two, if not direct sequels.

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
As an avid 'Somnambuphile', I really enjoyed this article about Dead Rising and the way it reflects our modern-day fears. Personally, I read it as a hybrid of economic hypertension (Pushed by the need for meat, using highly dangerous methods to meet that need) and the climate of fear created by terrorism (Carlito using the government's own creation against them, and even trying to use explosives to infest the entire country).

One problem I do have with you article is when you Frank has no influence on the NSA Agents - considering some endings allow you to complete your stay at Williamette with both of them intact, Frank can exert some influence over his surroundings. What's more, the survivors Frank can save also exhibit a degree of influence.

I don't mean to nitpick, but it just struck me as a little short-sighted.

Mmm, I wonder what the next eponymous symbol of fear will be?