New Skyrim Patch Will Fix "Long-Term Play" Problems

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
New Skyrim Patch Will Fix "Long-Term Play" Problems

Bethesda claims that help is on the way to the thousands affected by severe Skyrim gameplay issues on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

While it's clear that many, but often hysterical [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114236-Skyrim-is-Bethesdas-Biggest-Game-Ever]) bugs. Even though the company was quick to promise near-future solutions, that doesn't mean anything to the gamer who's suffering thorough terrible textures and play lag until these problems are actually fixed. Well, according to Bethesda, they have been, and we'll all be enjoying something closer to the intended Skyrim experience beginning November 28th.

The two largest problems being widely reported are texture scaling issues on Xbox and the PS3's terrible, snowballing lag. 360 users who installed the game have reportedly been bombarded with textures that scale down, but not back up again. Basically, that translates into some pretty grisly images for a game designed to be aesthetically consistent and immersive. PS3 users haven't shared the same glitch, but instead have been experiencing frightfully choppy lag, which in some cases can make the game damn near unplayable. According to Bethesda, the issue plagues gamers when their collective game saves reach a certain data threshold.

No matter which console you chose to play Skyrim on, I think we can all agree that nothing takes you out of a meticulously crafted game world faster than suddenly seeing a tree that looks like it belongs in Minecraft, or trying to skewer a stuttering group of Skeevers teleporting around a cave at your face.

A full detailed list has yet to be announced, but Bethesda PR man Pete Hines has confirmed that at the very least, this patch will definitely address "long-term play on PS3," referring to the fact that the longer one plays, the worse the lag gets. He's also assured players that while the patch will be major, no save games or created characters will be affected.

As someone affected by the PS3 glitch, I'll admit: It really sucks to be enjoying a game and suddenly get slammed with major performance issues. Still, most people seem to be enjoying the game nonetheless. At times like these, perhaps it's best to just be patient, and take a moment to appreciate that we game in an age where developers can remotely fix large problems like this at all.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-21-skyrim-patch-due-week-beginning-28th-november]

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Let's hope this comes out soon. Skyward Sword will keep me occupied, certainly, but not that occupied.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
And the games industry once again makes me feel that I made the right choice in switching to PC gaming.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
I've been having issues with the PC version, sadly. My computer shuts down, as if it had overheated, but my GPU is the only piece over 40C, and it doesn't even hit 60C. I'm fairly sure the game is doing it, as a bunch of other people with varying machines are having the same problem.

Edit - It isn't just me, and it isn't overheating - http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/456889-skyrim-complete-pc-crashes/

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Captain Pancake said:
Maybe a Gypsy curse from Mojang?
Bethesda is actually the ones who got Yogscast to drop the f-bomb in front of some kids, so they could collect the tears from Notch's QQing, to rid themselves of the curse.

MarkDavis94

Jan 12, 2011
PC Gamers never miss out on a chance to claim superiority. Yes we understand that PC's are a lot more powerful than consoles, now shut up about it.
Anyway, I've been experiencing a bit of lag every so often on the Xbox version, but thats usually after a couple of hours of continious play, after I turn it off the next time I go on it, its fine.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
PS3 users haven't shared the same glitch, but instead have been experiencing frightfully choppy lag, which in some cases can make the game damn near unplayable. According to Bethesda, the issue plagues gamers when their collective game saves reach a certain data threshold.
So the same problem that Fallout 3 on PS3 had: the game stops working properly when your save file gets too big. A problem that they never fixed for that game, mind you. And now they released another game without fixing the same major game-breaking bug first. Why do people praise these incompetent clowns again?

Satsuki666 said:
Oh wow after them knowing about this bug in their game engine for three years they are finally going to fix it. This issue existed in fallout 3, it existed in new vegas and it exists in skyrim as well. I have absolutely no faith in bethesda either being competant enough or caring enough about its customers to fix this bug.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
As someone who's patiently waiting to play are their any glaring bugs existing in the PC version that's waiting to be patched up? Or are we more waiting for the tool set editor to be released?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Funny, I don't get any performance lag on PS3, I don't get any issues at all other than a few graphical glitches that are common in almost every game (flooring textures that don't connect leaving a small horizontal line of nothingness).

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Corporal Yakob said:
Oh thank the God-Emperor! I thought my PS3 was just melting-glad to see its not the console's fault.
It might still be melting.
My ps3 starts to melt any time I put a Bethesda game in it...but my ps3 seems to be especially sensitive to horrible ports.

I love how that everyone is believing Bethesda when they say this patch will fix all the big problems like they believed Bethesda when they said in the hype up that the new engine would make some of their usual problems non-existent.

This is Bethesda people: this first patch will only fix a few visual bugs and any sort of exploit that the user could use to cheat. Next month's will take care of a couple of other issues but still none of the big game-breakers. A few more months they might get some of the big problems (like big save issues) patched up...if we're lucky.

Really what incentive do they have to fix any of this stuff? Everyone knew this game would be broken and it sold by the millions anyway.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Thanatus1992 said:
And the games industry once again makes me feel that I made the right choice in switching to PC gaming.
Funny you say that, thirty hours in and I'm fine but lately I've noticed textures flickering or disappearing. Why, earlier today I fought a purple mesh dragon!

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
At least the game is save/load anywhere, so you can save, restart, reload. ... at least I hope it is for the console versions as well.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Thanatus1992 said:
Huzzah! All hail the PC gaming master race!
Hear, hear! How I enjoy sitting on my couch, playing Skyrim on my large plasma... with my keyboard on my laps and mouse on the couch, and experiencing no glitches. The only one that has happened to me I've learned to beat.
On the topic of GPUs overheating, the Minecraft menu used to heat my GPU up more than any other game(it might still, I've been too busy with Skyrim to play much of Minecraft 1.0.0) because the FPS wasn't capped and would often reach a few 1000.

shaneriding

Jul 15, 2010
Too late for me, traded it in earlier and will probably pick it up in a few months when they can be arsed to sort out the 2 game breaking glitches I have found.

The first being I can't proceed in capturing the dragon in Dragonreach. He was captured in the trap yet all the npc's acted as if he was yet to be captured. Then the new jarl (stormcloaks side of the story) will not come to see the dragon therefore I couldn't speak with him and proceed. I went off and did some quests only to come back, find the dragon had disappeared and the map marker for him was now south of Dragonreach yet would move about the map when I moved the cursor.

Secondly on one quest I am supposed to fight 3 enemies who insist on facing the wall in an unreachable place (they are ghosts, so arrows are useless).
Frankly I don't want to reload and play a few hours of that game again because its just a bit boring. Speak with person, search dungeon, fight enemies and receive slightly better equipment. Rinse and repeat. Nothing remotely groundbreaking.

Why are modern games released which aren't working? Profits before playability? I remember buying Playstation and Nintendo 64 games which didn't rely on later patches or fixes. As far back as the SNES, Sega Megadrive, Atari, Gameboys etc, all of the games released for these worked for me. Is it too much to ask for modern games to work?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Thanatus1992 said:
Yeh cause the PC version of Skyrim is Perfect in every way possible /sarcasm.

OT: This is good news, i haven't had the major glitches, but i have had the textures being a bit off, nice to know Bethesda are fixing these issues early...and not a year down the line...