Jak and Daxter in HD

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Jak and Daxter in HD

Naughty Dog's Jak and Daxter series is coming to PS3 with the usual HD bells and whistles.

The Jak and Daxter: Collection comes with the first three games in the series, remastered in 720p and stereoscopic 3D. That's Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Jak 2 and Jak 3 - unfortunately the surprisingly good Jak X: Combat Racing and the PSP spinoffs didn't make the cut.

The original Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy was a cutesy platformer in the vein of Banjo Kazooie. The second dropped Daxter from the title, turned the 'grim' dial up to eleven - the first sentence muttered by previously silent protagonist Jak was a promise of murderous retribution - and added open-world vehicle missions. It was a jarring change, but it ultimately proved successful. The third game toned down the angst a little, and brought the series to a surprisingly emotional conclusion. Naughty Dog followed that up with the obligatory kart-racing game, then passed the series off to other developers in favor of the vastly more successful Uncharted series.

Is this collection strictly necessary? Probably not. Aside from a severe case of the jaggies - which, let's face it, turn up in pretty much every game from the PS2 era - the series' visuals are as fresh as they were back in 2001, thanks to some superb, expressive animation. Still, those who balk at sub HD resolutions, delight in the collection of trophies and other digital doodads or, like me, tended to pile their PS2 disks on top of each other in horrifying, scratchy death mounds, will want to pick up the collection when it's released next February.

Slythernite

Jan 25, 2009
I absolutely, wholeheartedly, approve of this. Fantastic series.

Spyro The Dragon Trilogy (There aren't any more of them) HD Collection comes next? Please?

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
This makes me happy, though I already have all of them in the first place, so it doesn't really matter.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Does this mean we are going to get a true Jak sequel? Please? Pretty please? These were some of the best PS2 games out there. We need another adventure with Jak the badass and Daxter the smart-ass!

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Saltyk said:
Does this mean we are going to get a true Jak sequel? Please? Pretty please? These were some of the best PS2 games out there. We need another adventure with Jak the badass and Daxter the smart-ass!
I'm still hoping for a Crash Bandicoot game myself. Haven't seen one in more than a decade.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Saltyk said:
I'm still hoping for a Crash Bandicoot game myself. Haven't seen one in more than a decade.
The original Jak and Daxter was a bit of a spiritual successor to Crash Bandicoot. The others not so much. A new Crash game would be great, though. Remember when he was basically the Playstation mascot?

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Saltyk said:
Grey Carter said:
Saltyk said:
The original Jak and Daxter was a bit of a spiritual successor to Crash Bandicoot. The others not so much. A new Crash game would be great, though. Remember when he was basically the Playstation mascot?
Crash Bandicoot is owned by Activision. It's their call whether or not to make another game. Even if they do it won't be ND doing it since ND belongs to Sony. Also ND likes to make a new ip with every gen so I doubt they'd do another Jak anyways.

OT: I'm definitely picking this up, PS2 games look awful on my HDTV. Even with component cables it's still not very good.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Saltyk said:
But... Sequel to what? The third one pretty much tied up every loose end there was. All the questions answered, all the things resolved.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Saltyk said:
Grey Carter said:
Saltyk said:
Yeah. I've been replaying the series on the PS3 (they're currently free on PS Plus) and it's amazing how straight forward the first game is. Crash washes up on a beach and boom, you're playing.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I love the Jak and Daxter series. I liked Jak and Daxter 2 the best though, ofc 1 started the whole thing, but 2 was just great.

And I aswell, can't really see the need of a HD remake of these games, perhaps the first one, but not 2 and 3 tbh, they still look good.

Besides, I'd need a HD TV aswell then. :p

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Saltyk said:
Crash of the Titans?

...Actually, wait. Nevermind that. Crash of the Titans was not a true Crash game.

OT: Goddamnit... And I already committed to the PS Vita. This makes me want a PS3 now. FUCK!

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I've already got all three PS2 games sitting on my shelf.

...oh, you thought that meant I wasn't going to buy this day 1? Perish the thought. Jak and Daxter in HD would be SWEET!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Pandaman1911 said:
Saltyk said:
But... Sequel to what? The third one pretty much tied up every loose end there was. All the questions answered, all the things resolved.
I'm sure there is more to discover in the world of Jak and Daxter. Other regions? Countries? If they wanted to make a sequel they could. It'd be easy. The question is would the plot be decent and the jokes funny?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Pandaman1911 said:
Saltyk said:
they did make a psp sequel to jak and daxter a few years a ago. It deals with the world after jak 3
I distinctly remember that one sucking for only bringing back one voice actor, and disregarding almost everything from the past two games.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I remember that the first two games were pretty good, but I never beat Jak 2. I guess I spent too much time blowing up incredibly long lines of hovercars and not enough time practicing my whack-a-mole skills.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Would rather prefer a non-sucking Jak 3 sequel, but if this is what it will take for people to see people are willing to support the franchise, I accept it. There are a few things to resolve and it looked almost like Naughty Dog was leading to something.
With the whole Jak-Mar thingy brought on in Jak 3 and briefly in Jak 2. Fans still discuss if it's a lineage/coincidence thing or it has something to do with time travel and the Precursors at the end of Jak 3. I think it's a coincidence, but meh. There might be room. Though that might also mean a game without Daxter, which would be a tragedy.

Jak 3 was also a bit of a downer. It was good, but it is my least favourite of the trilogy. When the player is 1/4 through the game and thinking "Where is all the platforming at?" then something is wrong. Jak 2 was a through-and-through platformer at heart, and Jak and Daxter is platformer at it's purest. Jak 3 kind of lost it's way with the open worlds and vehicles. Lost Frontier tried, but ultimately fell flat. Departed FAR too much from the originals.

Jak 2, hardest game I've ever played yet also one of my favourites, I will bend over and take my punishment with dignity once again. Hmm, is this what the Demon's Souls fans feel like or am I just weird?

EDIT: Though I do agree with everyone that says the games didn't need a significant remake (especially at sub HD). Naughty Dog has yet to make an ugly game since Crash Bandicoot, and Jak 2 and 3 held up ok. Though I must say the first game footage in that trailer looks DAMN GOOD.

EDIT2: Huh, my paragraphs decided to multiply. That...is interesting.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Want want want want want want want want want!

Thank you Sony. I know we've had our differences here and there, but you really know how to deliver when it counts.

So, bring on Febuary, I can't waits to get mah Jak and Daxter on... IN HD!