There's More to Skyrim Than Skyrim

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008

It turns out entire continents from previous Elder Scrolls games are hidden beyond Skyrim's borders.

Like a true Nord, when determined explorer Jesse [http://ppsh-41.tumblr.com/post/13145143504/entire-tamriel-landmass-built-into-skyrim] was faced with the invisible wall that marks the edge of Skyrim, he broke out the noclip console command and kept on going. He wandered through a poorly textured wasteland until finally he came across a pair of peculiarly familiar landscapes; Morrowind and Cyrodil from the previous Elder Scrolls games.

The "continents" are merely blurry landmasses with a singular distant texture, though Cyrodil does still have the iconic White Gold tower which dominated the horizon in Oblivion. It's unclear at this point what the landmasses are for, as you can't reach or even see them without the use of the noclip code. Some users have suggested the landmasses served as a scale reference during the construction of the Skyrim region, while others reckon they're there for the benefit of the inevitable wave of modders that will come out of the woodwork when Skyrim's official mod tools are released.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Grey Carter said:
The more I find about this game, the more I want it to have multiplayer so bad my teeth hurt.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
They did say they wanted their DLC to be huge. I'd have never thought they'd make it that huge, though.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
It's certainly going to help with the inevitable SkyriMorrOblivion crossover mod. Pretty cool that it's included. Something for noclipsplorers to seek out.

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
This is madness!
At least the modders have space to create without having to go over something which is already finished.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I know cyrodiil by now, though the ability to become emperor would be nice. But how about High Rock? Black march? Daggerfall? Etc? I want to see some new areas. My hopes are that they'll try to recreate all of Tamriel in this game, either as expansions or DLC. Or mods if they let us down, of course.

Preferably not with seperate locations(from the main game) like the Fallout DLC locations, but an addition to the open world. That would be nice. (My pc wouldn't agree though)

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I pray for DLC that opens up Morrowind (and adds the full map textures of course) and Cyrodill. That would be fucking awesomesocks.

Ap07h30515

Mar 5, 2009
Just how feasible is it to combine Morrowind, Cyrodil and Skyrim into one playable game? Screw it, why not the whole of Tamriel?

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Intresting... Now of only the game would quit crashing on me! I want to play, not watch my loading screen freeze.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
In Oblivion they had lots of landscape outside of the borders of the game map. Didnt mean anything though.

Think it was only there so for example when you were flung up into the air during the Knights of the Nine quest, you had something to look at if you had infinite draw distance on - could be the same here, or just something the devs flung in for people who would noclip out.

Considering how low res it all is, I doubt its for a specific DLC thing or similar :(

May 29, 2011
Ap07h30515 said:
Just how feasible is it to combine Morrowind, Cyrodil and Skyrim into one playable game? Screw it, why not the whole of Tamriel?
Well if they could do it 1994 I bet they could do it now!

Apr 28, 2008
Eh, I'm guessing it's just a case of the dev thinking of everything [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDevTeamThinksOfEverything].

Though it will no doubt help modders.

Ap07h30515 said:
Considering modders managed to combine Cyrodiil, Elsewyr [http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=25023], and Valenwood [http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22555] into one large landmass... chances are pretty good.

I also think there's a resource mod that adds Hammerfell as well. Probably floating around the internet somewhere. Can't seem to find it though.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
I'm betting this is for DLC that expands on the whole civil war thing. The mods will just be an unexpected bonus (BTW we don't need the official mod tools, we've already figured out how to change everything).
[spoiler/]maybe they'll add an expansion with the Thalmor breaking the White-Gold Concordat and invading the Empire[/spoiler]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"It turns out entire continents"

Tamriel is the continent, the games take place in provinces.

John the Gamer said:
I know cyrodiil by now, though the ability to become emperor would be nice. But how about High Rock? Black march? Daggerfall? Etc? I want to see some new areas.
That's what the actual full-size games are for.

OT: They had the same thing for Oblivion, its just there for appearance's sake.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Dastardly said:
Grey Carter said:
The more I find about this game, the more I want it to have multiplayer so bad my teeth hurt.
How would multiplayer work? Just have a persistent world where everyone is just kind of running around doing their own thing? 'Cause that would do horrible things for immersion.

Every dungeon in the entire world has been sacked. PvP runs rampant. Every city would lie in ruins.