"Persistent Pirates" May Be Thrown Offline

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Persistent Pirates" May Be Thrown Offline

A new proposal to ban "persistent pirates" from the internet has been passed by the French senate, bringing it one step closer to becoming law.

The senate voted "overwhelmingly" in favor of the law, which would implement a three-strike rule for people caught downloading copyrighted materials online. First-time offenders would receive an email notifying them of their bad behavior and telling them to stop; a second offense would net a letter in the mail, presumably a stronger warning to knock it off. Users caught illegally sharing files a third time would find themselves without a net connection.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy described the idea in late 2007 as "a decisive moment for the future of a civilized internet," and the Senate apparently shares that conviction, voting 297 to 15 in favor of the measure. If enacted, the law will require internet providers to monitor their users for "casual piracy," which will themselves be monitored by a new government body dedicated to anti-piracy efforts. Companies in France will also be encouraged to install software to block file sharing by employees.

A member of the right-wing European Union [http://www.pourlafrance.fr/] rejected an idea to impose a similar law across the EU in April 2008, saying it would conflict with "civil liberties and human rights."

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7706014.stm]

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Never seen a bigger bullshit in a long time. So everybody "sharing" a legal file over file sharing ( as it is done a lot nowadays to distribute patches, demos, trailers without killing a single server ) is put in the same bucket as somebody downloading a cracked game. Way to punish legal users ( why comes "fuck the state" to my mind reading this? )

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
How on Earth do they propose to kick someone who is adept at the art of getting past copyright filters/ hackingetc. off the internet?

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Yarr 'tis a shame, no more swashbucklin' for me or the landlubbers take me youtube away.... Yarr....

Oh come on, did no-one else think that?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Never before have I seen a bigger misconception of what the Internet is since Senator Prisoner Ted Stevens.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Why is there a picture of Fifa 2002?, If you are going to make pirates of a game, you wouldn't make them of that game.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
needausername said:
Why is there a picture of Fifa 2002?, If you are going to make pirates of a game, you wouldn't make them of that game.
It contains a picture of a French footballer, Thierry Henry, and the issue is in France.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
wordsmith said:
Yarr 'tis a shame, no more swashbucklin' for me or the landlubbers take me youtube away.... Yarr....

Oh come on, did no-one else think that?
Yarr! Ye be right matey.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
curlycrouton said:
needausername said:
It contains a picture of a French footballer, Thierry Henry, and the issue is in France.
Fair enough

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
I dunno. I'm not seeing this is such an overwhelmingly negative light. I mean, even if I'm really not sure if it'd work, the idea isn't all that bad. And it's lenient too - I mean, three strikes before any punishment is hardly harsh. As long as they wouldn't get pegged unfairly, it strikes me as a reasonably good idea, if hard to implement.

Feb 13, 2008
Nicholas Sargozy : Zat's it zen. France have managed to combat the entire Internet.
Horst Koelher : Germany finds itself disagreeing with your position.
Sargozy : We surrender!

Dec 1, 2007
What happens when you put a whole bunch of white old men in a room and tell them in the vaguest terms there's a problem in an environment they know almost nothing about?

Foolhearty publicity stunts, that's what! Nothing says "weighted opinion" more then rash and unworkable "solutions"!

Ah politics. Truly, you are the great unifier.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Is this France's plan for punishing people for not moving to a better nation? Or is this a government coverup for a national Internet shortage?
Ze tubes! They are clogged!

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
Knowing France , I bet there's gonna be a lot of protesting, hacking of the governements and Sarkozi's computer is not impossible. It does not seem to be widely known but we do have a Pirate party , as wacky as it sounds.
Then it depends on how thoroughly this law will be applied , if at all.

Bypassing the surveillance will always be possible (as long as human rights are not totally forgotten), in fact thinking about it I may be eager to try my mind against professionnals ; plus it would add a spicy adventurous feeling when I download.