Bigpoint Makes Big Bucks Off $1300 MMO Item

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bigpoint Makes Big Bucks Off $1300 MMO Item

Bigpoint claims that more than 2000 DarkOrbit players have purchased the game's highest-level combat drone in just four days - at a cost of more than $1300 each.

Ever wonder why so-called "free-to-play" games have suddenly become so popular with publishers? Chew on this insight, courtesy of Bigpoint [http://www.darkorbit.com/]. It's one of Bigpoint's biggest games, even though an estimated 97 percent of players don't pay on a month-by-month basis, because those who like it, like it a lot.

How much is a lot? Combat drones, ranked in ten levels, can be acquired by players to support their ship in battle; the most powerful drone, the Zeus, is very rare, requiring all nine other drones as well as the discovery of special blueprints. But over four days this month, Bigpoint made the Zeus available for straight-up purchase at the ridiculous price of €1000 - that's $1335 - and contrary to all reason, it was a huge hit. More than 2000 Zeus drones were sold, adding up to nearly $2.7 million in revenue off a single item. In four days.

It's a little hard to swallow, isn't it? Gamesbrief [http://www.gamesbrief.com/2011/11/bigpoint-sells-2000-spaceship-drones-for-1000-euros-each-in-just-four-days/] thought so too, so it went back to Bigpoint just to be sure. "Originally, CEO Heiko Hubertz told me that the company had sold 1,000 10th drones. He then introduced me to the producer of the game, Simon Davis, to explain how DarkOrbit worked," the author wrote. "Simon told me that he had been authorized to say that the company has now sold 2,000, as at 16th November 2011. "

And that, kids, is how [and why] it's done.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
The day I drop $1300 on a virtual item is the day I hope someone puts me out of my misery. I feel sorry for those poor, addicted s.o.b's who bought that thing.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Wow. Um, congratulations? I guess?

Gotta say the stupidity tax is much steeper than I remember.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
The economy must not be too bad if 2000 people have dropped over a grand on something in a game I'm sure 99% of gamers has never even heard of.

ChillShark

Oct 13, 2010
Man, this can't be right, right? I have paid a couple of bucks for collectors editions and other movie paraphernalia, but never will I pay that much for a VIRTUAL item! Ever!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114155-Server-Screw-Up-Kills-MMO

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
wtf, just wtf? I wouldnt mind having the spare cash to drop £1000 or so on an ingame item, but if i did then i'd spend it on something more worthwhile...

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
And we thought the sparkle pony was absurd (which, for the record, i still think).

And yeah, people spend money on the stupidest things. Once i logged into this game called Jade Dynasty (by Perfect World), and came across a flashy high level character in the newbie zone. He had sparkly dice flying around him. I said cool dice. He replied thanks, they cost me a hundred bucks. Yeah, quit game, uninstall.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Think of it this way: How many hours of fun and gameplay did the drone by itself provided? Not much. At the same cash, you could by 21 games at 60$ each. 21. I repeat, 21. That could mean MONTHS of gameplay without repeating any game.

Another 2000 reasons why
Yes. It had to be done.

targren

May 13, 2009
Where's that "Don't want to live on this planet anymore" image macro when I need it?

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
And how many of those were purchased by unwitting 12 year olds?

Seriously, a thousand euros for a combat advantage in a game? And over 2000 people bought it? Jebas Christ...

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I don't get why so many people are upset by this.

If these people have ?1000 to spare for such an item, then it's their descision to make.
In straight up man hours people have spent far more on various games.

Do you look down those who speed tens of thousands of dollars on a rare car that hardly ever will be used?

Spewing insults such as "I have lost fate in humanity" and other judgemental rethoric is just wrong.

You should not judge people you do not know just because they apparantly have some spending money.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Another example of F2P space MMOs asking for ridiculous prices for a virtual item. Yeah it's the highest level drone so naturally it would have a high price but asking more than £100 for any virtual item is just ridiculous.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Not played this game, but by the name 'combat drone' and 'supports your ship', it sounds like something with clear mechanical advantage.

Which means the game designers are selling power for real money.

Abhorrent. Said designers will never see a single copper penny of my cash. The people who spent that money can do what they like, but I'm saddened that another developer is selling power in a F2P model game.

Assuming my assumptions are correct, of course.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
Missed opportunity they could of priced it so it covered to 1337 dollars.

Anyway I guess this is what happens when you can let people buy power.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Amnestic said:
Assuming my assumptions are correct, of course.
They are correct. http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09/07/bigpoint-says-game-publishers-should-sell-in-game-advantages

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
EHKOS said:
Those thing better be overpowered...
over powered?! they better be death stars with the firing rate of an assault rifle set on full auto.

HOW did this get approved, and WHY are people stupid enough to DROP ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY A CAR on a virtual item >.< *rage/seethes*